Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for April 28, 2021

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2021-04-28 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

April 28, 2021

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 21:00 UTC (GMT/Zulu), on March 31, 2021. Betsy Waliszewski took notes/minutes with the assistance of Ewa Jodlowska.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (10 of 13) were present at the meeting: Lorena Mesa, Jannis Leidel, Jeff Triplett, Christopher Neugebauer, Thomas Wouters, Dustin Ingram, Katie McLaughlin, Anna Ossowski, Kushal Das, and Ewa Jodlowska.

Betsy Waliszewski (Event Planner and Administrator), Jackie Augustine (PyCon Manager), Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Ee W. Durbin III were also in attendance.

2   Resolutions

Minutes from prior meeting March 31, 2021:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the March 31, 2021 meeting.

Approved 7-3-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation accepts the 2021 Budget as detailed out in this thread

Approved 10-0-0

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports for April 2021

3.1   Ewa Jodlowska

  • PyCon

    • Attended PyCon Committee meeting
    • Attended weekly meeting planner call
    • Helping with negotiation discussions & attending some calls
    • Continue to review sponsor communications
    • Continue to track benefits with team, review contracts, and work on updating
    • Worked with Event Manager on PSF Staff plan for pre-PyCon and during PyCon tasks
    • Overseeing the launch and execution of PyCon Sprints
    • Assisted with “on-site” volunteer prep work & ongoing work cross checking volunteers against registration
  • PSF

    • Preparing PyCon US community PSF keynote
    • Working on “end of year” staff evaluations
    • Preparing for May Executive Board Meetings
    • Reviewing Contributing/Managing member CiviCRM import
    • Drafted membership communication for bylaw changes
    • Assisting with the planning and execution of the three member meetings
    • Working on grants with Grants WG
    • Working with Director of Resources on May fundraiser & grant flow communications
    • Attended regular Code of Conduct WG meetings and helped take notes
    • Attended finance committee meeting and funding wg meeting
    • Continue to update sponsorship benefits for PyPI team
    • Continue to attend weekly Steering Council meetings and help take notes. I continue to review necessary Discourse & mailing list discussions. Created slide to gather community questions for keynote
    • Monthly individual goal review
    • Monthly meeting with chairperson to prepare agendas
    • Continue to moderate several mailing lists
    • Continue to help review contracts, documents and other drafts written by staff
    • Continue to log the fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
    • Continue to answer general PSF email
    • Continue to participate in board discussions
    • Continue to review time sheets
    • Continue to meet with Sponsorship Coordinator, Event Manager, Finance Controller, Director of Infrastructure, and Director of Resource Development regularly and regular communications via Slack. Continue to support the staff in any way possible.

3.2   Morgan Mayo

  • On-Boarding
  • Crafted sponsorship agreements
  • Attended sponsor meetings
  • Led sponsor package & sponsor agreement negotiations
  • Set up new sponsors on the benefit tracking spreadsheet, CiviCRM, & PyCon admin
  • Communicated deadlines & coordinated deliverables for sponsors via email
  • Tracked sponsorship benefits via spreadsheet
  • Crafted booth set up & deadline reminder emails for sponsors
  • Created virtual booths & lounge tables in Hubilo for sponsors
  • Attended weekly meeting for meeting planners
  • Attended weekly meeting for PyLadies auction
  • Coordinated sponsor deliverables for PyLadies auction committee
  • Attended 1:1 with Ewa
  • Helped coordinate the virtual booth info sessions
  • Wrote the PSF fundraising content for PyCon welcome
  • Reviewed/edited multiple PyCon attendee/sponsor communications
  • Attended sage code of conduct workshop
  • On-Boarding
  • Created the spring fundraiser plan & theme
  • Designed & wrote copy for the PSF timeline for fundraising page
  • Interviewed a community member for PSF spring appeal email
  • Wrote blog about community member
  • Created the 20 questions for 20 years twitter campaign
  • Edited tweets for campaign
  • Wrote copy for spring appeal email
  • Working on design for appeal email
  • Working on quantifying PSF’s 20 year impact
  • Working on segmenting CiviCRM donor email lists for Mailchimp
  • Attended CZI meeting
  • Working on CZI grant
  • Attended funding work group

3.3   Jackie Augustine


  • Continued onboarding of virtual platform with our CSM
  • Began the plan for the final build of the platform
  • Planned and participated in 2 zoom meeting demos for sponsor booth setup
  • Planned and participated in 1 poster presentation setup demo meeting - 1 more to come
  • Worked with committees to provide additional information and support to speakers
  • Ongoing communication with committees for volunteer sign up, open spaces, sprints
  • Worked with team for design preparations for the virtual platform
  • Daily communication with team about sponsorship packages and contract items
  • Daily email and slack communications with attendees, sponsors, speakers, volunteers
  • Additional preparation with team for launch of volunteer sign ups, open spaces, sprints webpages
  • Many additional planning items for PyCon US
  • Planned and attended PyCon Committee meeting
  • Attended weekly meeting for PyLadies Auction and completed action items
  • Weekly team calls
  • Weekly one on one calls with team members

3.4   Betsy Waliszewski

  • PyCon

    • Attended weekly meeting planner call
    • Attended monthly meeting with PyCon committee
    • Conducted additional follow up meetings with PyCon sponsors to discuss 2021 participation
    • Participated in weekly PyLadies Auction calls
    • Continued to do outreach with potential sponsors interested in PyCon
    • Helped team with website review and created an expo hall page
    • Created booth schedule for directors participation
    • Met with graphic designer to finalize plans for conference graphics
    • Set up blog post in blogger for visionalry sponsor
    • Managed social media for sponsor benefits
  • PSF

    • Logged in contributor agreements
    • Responded to general PSF email
    • Weekly 1:1 with Executive Director
    • Continued routine tasks of keeping records up-to-date
    • Managed community mailing list subscriptions
    • Managed voting memberships self-certifications - logged in new contributing and managing members
    • Continued taking notes at board meetings, posting minutes and approved resolutions
    • Continued to help with our social media presence through Sprout Social
    • Helped out with grant notifications
    • Worked on social media promotion for Spring fundraiser.
    • Updated sponsorship benefits spreadsheet
    • Participated in weekly meeting with Executive Director
    • Helped Morgan with new sponsor applications
    • Updated annual impact report completed
    • Participated in multiple sponsor calls
    • Managed social media promotion of new sponsors
    • Working with Morgan on Spring Fundraiser
    • Viewed rough cut of community video and waiting for final cut to share

3.5   Ee W. Durbin III

  • PyCon Site work
  • Sponsorship Application work
  • Bloomberg grant, job description, promotion, and hiring
  • PyPI Infrastructure updates
  • PyPI support

3.6   Phyllis Dobbs

No report submitted.

3.7   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounts payable responsibilities
  • Review annual report before publication
  • Creating documentation for Finance Committee Q1 meeting
  • Financial statements for fiscal sponsorees for Q1
  • Reconciled bank accounts through Q1
  • Started pulling data for quantifying PSF’s 20 year impact

3.8   Joe Carey

No report submitted.

3.9   Lorena Mesa

  • PSF - Chair duties - met with Ewa to prep Apr agenda, prototyping on some of the format/tooling for running the meeting, as well as promote agenda items within the Board for discussion.
  • PSF - Board - Participated in email, Slack, and chat discussions.
  • PSF - Code of Conduct WG - attended bi-weekly meetings and contributed to discussions.
  • PSF - Grants WG - participated in grants reviews on mailing list.
  • PSF - Finance Committee - participated in email discussion(s) and attended quarterly meeting
  • PyLadies - Assisting with PyLadies Auction preparation

3.10   Jeff Triplett

  • PSF - Board - Participated in email, Slack, and chat discussions.
  • PSF - Code of Conduct WG - bi-weekly meetings and discussions.
  • PSF - Finance Committee - Meeting on 4/27
  • PSF - PyCon US Committee meeting and discussions.
  • DEFNA - DjangoCon US planning, venue contract renogotiaion, and legal discussions.
  • DEFNA - Participated in email, Slack, and chat discussions.
  • DSF - Participated in email, dms, and chat discussions mostly CoC WG related.
  • Outreach - Appeared on a podcast to discuss community, organizing, and event planning challenges.
  • Outreach - Co-hosted April Python Organizers Hangout.
  • Outreach - Helped find a new home.
  • Outreach - Helped with job outreach.

3.11   Kushal Das

No report submitted.

3.12   Jannis Leidel

No report submitted.

3.13   Katie McLaughlin

  • PSF - Participated in email and Slack discussions
  • PSF - Preparation for Member Meetings in APAC, EMEA
  • PyCon AU - Ongoing organisation
  • DjangoCon AU - Hiatus communications

3.14   Marlene Mhangami

  • PSF - Participated in email and Slack discussions
  • D&I WG - Prepping for D&I WG panel session at PyCon US
  • D&I WG - Postponed D&I WG panel awareness video
  • D&I WG - Working on community leader database
  • D&I WG - Slack and email discussions
  • PyCon Africa - Handed over chairship :)
  • Outreach - Talk Python to Me podcast

3.15   Dustin Ingram

  • PSF: Funding discussions with Bloomberg
  • PSF: Funding discussions with Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
  • PSF: Outreach - PyCon Lightning Talks planning
  • PSF: Outreach - PyCon Member Meetings planning
  • PyPA: Continued maintenance and maintainership of projects including PyPI

3.16   Anna Ossowski

  • Participated in PSF Board email discussions
  • Hosted a PyLadies London meetup on GraphQL
  • Planning a PyLadies London panel on “Empowering Women in Tech”
  • Prepping for PyCon Colombia keynote

3.17   Thomas Wouters

  • PSF - Participated in PyCon US committee, board mailing list, Fellows committee, Fellows Q1 vote.
  • Steering Council - Participated in weekly SC meetings and PEP review, prepared March community update.
  • Steering Council - prepared PyCon US presentation and promoted Developer-in-Residence position.

3.18   Christopher Neugebauer

  • PSF - Participated in PyCon US committee, board mailing list, and regular board meeting

3.19   Nina Zakharenko

No report submitted.

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Code of Conduct

No report submitted.

4.2   Funding

  • Held regular meetings to discuss status & ongoing projects
  • Responded to emails and tweets from various community members around funding, pointing people to useful resources

4.3   Sponsors

Nothing to report at this time.

4.4   Marketing

Nothing to report at this time.

4.5   Jobs

Nothing to report at this time.

4.7   Fellows

Voted to formally adopt new Fellow members between Q3 2017 and Q1 2021.

4.10   Scientific Python

Our most recent call for proposals has closed, and we are excited to announce six grants to:

  • Spyder for the development of online learning content for the Spyder IDE,
  • Nicolas McKibben to implement MRI reconstruction algorithms in PyGrappa,
  • The Carpentries to improve and maintain their Python curriculum,
  • Qu4nt for translating the scikit-learn documentation to Spanish,
  • Rosangela Mesquita for documenting common Continuous Integration practices for PyOceans, and
  • Blosc for the development of a Python wrapper for their new C-Blosc2 library.Funding Work Group

4.11   Diversity & Inclusion Work Group

  • D&I WG - Organising for D&I WG panel session at PyCon US
  • D&I WG - D&I WG panel awareness video postponed
  • D&I WG - Discussion on supporting mentorship and accessibility of CPython
  • D&I WG - Community leader Database curation
  • D&I WG - Continued regular discussions over Slack and email

5   Votes Approved by Email

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation grant $62.94 USD to the PyLadies Paris Meetup approved via a board director's allowance on April 12, 2021.

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation board approve the bylaw updates to 'Section 4.8. Fellows' as proposed here, to be voted on by the membership during the next election.

Approved, April 14, 2021, 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation board approve the bylaw implementation of 'Section 5.5.2 Term Limits for Directors' as proposed here, to be voted on by the membership during the next election.

Denied, April 14, 2021, 12-1-0 (email votes have to be unanimous)

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation board approve the Fellow Members voted in by the Fellows Work Group between Q3 2017 and Q1 2021 (names listed

Approved April 15, 2021 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation board approve the bylaw implementation of 'Section 5.15. Limits on Co-affiliation of Board Members' as proposed here, to be voted on by the membership during the next election.

Approved April 20, 2021,13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the Q4 2020 Community Service Award to Georgi Ker. Georgi has been instrumental with establishing PyLadies Global, she is also a PyLadies Bangkok organizer, member of the PSF Diversity & Inclusion WG, and an organizer with PyCon Thailand and APAC PyCon.

Approved April 28, 2021, 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the Q4 2020 Community Service Award to Humphrey Butau. Humphrey is the co-founder of PyCon Zimbabwe and was an early member of the Python community in Harare. He is a PSF fellow and has been stewarding our local community for a number of years. Humphrey is also a great speaker and has given talks at many conferences including keynoting DjangoCon Europe, speaking at PyCon Namibia and PyCon Italia.

Approved April 28, 2021, 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the Q1 2021 Community Service Award to Tereza Iofciu. Tereza is a PSF Code of Conduct WG member and has done a wonderful job helping, participating, and driving the Code of Conduct WG discussions. Tereza formed and continues to help organize the PyLadies Hamburg chapter and was a key organizer for the IWD PyLadies event in 2021.Tereza is also a member of the newly formed PSF Diversity & Inclusion WG.

Approved April 28, 2021, 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the Q1 2021 Community Service Award to Daniele Procida. Daniele chaired Pycon UK for a number years and was an early part of the organizing team for EuroPython. He was instrumental in starting the Python communities in Namibia and Ghana. Making sure that these conferences had strong support both financially and structurally. Daniele has been an executive member of the Pycon Africa team since we started and has been a consistent source of guidance. He continues to be a member of the Django Software Foundation and has spoken at many PyCons and DjangoCons around the world.

Approved April 28, 2021, 13-0-0

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Grants

None at this time.

6.2   Sponsors

None at this time.

6.3   Scientific Python

Resolved, that the PSF Python Scientific Work Group grant US$300 to Sandhya Prabhakaran for lease of an EC2 instead needed in development of Sparcle for spatial transcriptomics.

Approved, May 2, 2021 4-0-0

9   Discussions

  • Discussed staff and board commitments for PyCon US
    • Booth
    • Having directors attend the PSF member meetings to help move the chat discussion forward
  • Elections Outreach discussed

  • Continued discussion of PSF Bylaw Changes
    • Approved the bylaw changes to send to the members
  • May meeting: focus on spirit of “what is the psf board” vision discussion
    • Continue term limit discussion

Meeting adjourned at 22:01 UTC (GMT/Zulu)