What does the Python Software Foundation do?
- Holds and defends the copyright and other intellectual property rights for the Python programming language.
- Holds and defends the copyright and trademark for the Jython implementation of Python.
- Awards grants and provides resources for furthering the development and adoption of Python.
- Organizes and hosts the annual PyCon conference. 2018 brought together 3,260 attendees from 48 countries, a new record for PyCon! Our sponsors’ support enabled us to award $118,543 USD to 143 attendees.
- Pays for hardware and other costs for hosting the python.org servers.
- Supports other conferences, meetings, and community activities.
- Recognizes individuals who have contributed to the Python community with Community Awards.
- Funds a Python Ambassador program to travel locally to perform Python outreach. This is currently in trial mode in South America and is going very well. If the trend continues, we will expand this program to additional locales.
To learn about recent PSF activities, visit the Python Software Foundation's weblog.
The PSF sends a big thank you to all of the donors who supported our Q2 2019 drive, which raised a total of $75,000! The top 11 donors were:
The PSF would also like to recognize the following donors for major gifts during 2019 that make the PSF’s support of worldwide grants and other programs possible:
How can I donate?
We welcome contributions of $25, $50, $100, $250, or any amount, from both small businesses and individuals. Donate once, monthly, or annually to support all of our great initiatives.
Donate by credit card or PayPal
Please use the button above to donate. You don't need a PayPal account to use the donation button.
Note: For amounts greater than US$1,300.00, paying by wire transfer or check will get more of your donation to the PSF.
Mail a personal check, money order, or bank check
Address checks to the PSF headquarters.
If you would like a receipt emailed to you, please include your email address along with your check.
Checks in US currency are preferred. We can accept other currencies for donations valued US$20 or more, but fees on conversions are significant.
Electronic wire transfers
Please see Wire Transfer Info for details.
The transaction fees are substantial, so please only use transfers for donations valued at US$50 or more.
Other Ways to Give
The Amazon Smile program donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible Amazon Smile purchases to the PSF. A simple and automatic way for you to support python.org every time you shop, at no cost to you.
For US taxpayers, contributions to the PSF are tax-deductible. The PSF has been recognized as a public charity under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. (See the exemption letter for details.) You should consult your tax adviser for rules as they apply to your situation.
Donations to the PSF are currently not tax-deductible in most other countries; most countries require an organisation to be incorporated in that country (or in the EU, for EU member states), and the PSF does currently not have the resources to do so.
If you have a question about donations, please write to the PSF at (email@example.com).
The PSF would like to thank the following donors for their contributions. Donors are listed in descending order using an algorithm that takes into account both the amount of donation and the age of the donation.
The donors list is being ported to the new website. Please see our previous donation page for the current list. It gets updated daily. Thank you.