Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for Oct. 26, 2021

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2021-10-26 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

October 26, 2021

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 14:00 UTC, on October 26, 2021. Olivia Sauls took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (9 of 13) were present at the meeting: Jeff Triplett, Thomas Wouters, Dustin Ingram, Ewa Jodlowska, Joannah Nanjekye, Nina Zakharenko, Tania Allard, Marlene Mhangami, Van Lindberg.

Jackie Augustine (Director of Events), Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Ee W. Durbin III (Dir of Infrastructure), Laura Graves (Financial Analyst), Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Olivia Sauls (Event Assistant & Admin) were also in attendance.

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

Minutes from prior meeting September 23, 2021:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the September 23, 2021 meeting.

Approved, 7-0-2

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports for October 2021

3.1   Ewa Jodlowska

  • Helped the team review several web pages for launch
  • Wrote sponsor blog launch, drafted template emails for various down the road communications, added sponsorship tasks to Asana, worked on new sponsorship applications and sponsorship calls
  • Signed with CiviCRM contractor and had our first meeting with DoI to determine what we needed to provide them and priorities
  • Working on grants with Grants WG, recording and notifying recipients
  • Continue to review (as necessary) and guide Event Assistant and Admin
  • Several calls with GitHub Migration project manager and GitHub lead
  • Continuing to work with Communication/Writer contractor of PSF and PyCon work
  • Finalized Director of Resource Development role.
  • Launched 2021 Developers Survey
  • Planning Q4 fundraiser
  • Presented at PyCon China 2021
  • Helped book staff retreat for Nov 2021
  • Continue to attend weekly Steering Council meetings and help take notes. I continue to review necessary Discourse & mailing list discussions.
  • Bi-weekly check-in with Developer-in-Residence.
  • Monthly individual goal review
  • Monthly meeting with co-chairperson to discuss outgoing staff, transition of ED role.
  • Worked with Controller to create 2022 budget
  • Attended board meeting and finance committee meeting
  • Continue to moderate several mailing lists
  • Continue to help review contracts, documents and other drafts written by staff
  • Continue to log the fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
  • Continue to answer general PSF email
  • Continue to participate in board discussions
  • Continue to review time sheets
  • Continue to meet with Director of Events, Finance Controller, Director of Infrastructure regularly and regular communications via Slack and continue to support the staff.

3.2   Jackie Augustine

PyCon US
  • Completed build out of PyCon US CFPs on Pretalx
  • Assisted with setting up meetings for CFP committees and new members
  • Met with Program, Tutorial, Poster, Charlas committees individually to go through new CFP platform and launch of CFPs
  • Reviewed and edited home, sponsor, about webpages for PyCon US 2022
  • Launched PyCon US 2022
  • Reviewed and edited all speaking pages for the launching of CFPs
  • Worked on PyCon US 2022 budget
  • Attended PyCon US Board Committee meeting
  • Assisted to launch call for volunteers for Charlas and Travel Grant committees
  • Daily emails
  • Weekly PyCon team calls
  • Weekly staff calls with Executive Director and Director of Infrastructure
  • Bi-weekly staff call with accounting
  • Daily touchbase with Event Assistant

3.3   Oliva Sauls

PSF & PyCon US
  • Logged CLA’s
  • Answered general PSF email
  • Aided in the launch of the PyCon US 2022 website (
  • Drafted and reviewed the Speaker pages for the PyCon US 2022 website and the Call for Proposals launch
  • Continued tracking and scheduling social media posts for PyPI sponsorships
  • Weekly PyCon Team Call
  • Daily one on one calls with Director of Events
  • Continued onboarding with Executive Director and Director of Events
  • Indepedent Learning
  • Attended and took notes at PyCon US Board Committee meeting
  • Reviewed JMA Proposal for CiviCRM Improvements for the PSF
  • Added Q3 2021 PSF Fellows to CiviCRM

3.4   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounts payable responsibilities
  • AICPA nonprofit certificate training
  • 2020 Audit: Reviewing new correspondence from auditors and compiling requested documents
  • Reviewed retirement plan proposal with Finance Committee
  • Activating Fathom Reporting to increase insight into financials
  • Grants Work Group onboarding
  • Updating PSF profiles on SAM, D&B, CAGE
  • Discussing governance with PyLadies council
  • PyCon Travel Grant kickoff call and documentation review

3.5   Joe Carey

October report not provided

3.6   Ee Durbin

October report not provided

3.7   Phyllis Dobbs

  • Audit and Tax
    • Work with audit firm and accounting team to respond to requests and review first draft of audited financials
    • Prepare 990 supporting schedules
  • Budget - start 2022 budget with Ewa plus discussions with staff

  • Human Resources
    • Review retirement plan proposal with Finance Committee and send to Board for approval
    • FSA - initial research on adding flexible spending account to benefits package
    • Issue new hire offer letter
    • Plan staff retreat
  • Financial Statements - work with accounting team on Q3 financial statement package

  • Fiscal Sponsorees
    • PyCascades - approve contracts and support sponsor process
    • PyLadies - continued work with PyLadies Global on governance and signing fiscal sponsorship agreement
  • PyCon
    • Support Jackie with Budget preparation
    • Auction - start discussions with PyLadies Global about planning
    • Travel Grants - kickoff meeting including launching volunteer request form
    • Local bank - work on setting up in-person banking support for Salt Lake City
  • General accounting, tax, budget, and human resources support on daily basis

3.8   Shamika Mohanan

  • Created a survey to collect PyPI user feedback:
  • Initial meetings with survey participants to collect further feedback
  • Invited survey participants to set up meetings
  • Looked at ways to share user feedback with the larger community

3.9   Łukasz Łanga

3.10   Lorena Mesa

  • PSF: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • PSF: Participated in the Finance and Executive Transition committees.
  • PSF: Participated in the Code of Conduct and Grants workgroup meetings, discussions, and Slack spaces
  • PSF: Promote ongoing community discussions and outreach related to the Executive Director transition
  • PSF: Coordinated for Board Vice Chairs to run October meeting
  • PyLadies: Review ongoing community grant proposals and new chapter requests, continued moderation of Slack community space
  • Community: Prepare PyCon Thailand keynote with PSF outreach component

3.11   Jeff Triplett

  • PSF: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • PSF: Participated in the Finance, Executive Transition, and PyCon committees (missed one meeting due to DjangoCon US)
  • PSF: Participated in the Code of Conduct workgroup discussions and Slack spaces (we canceled two meetings)
  • DEFNA: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • DEFNA: Organized and attended DjangoCon US
  • Community: Attended PyGotham
  • Community: Co-hosted monthly conference organizer’s meetup

3.12   Joannah Nanjekye

  • PSF: Attended the general PSF board meetings
  • PSF: Attended the Pycon US committee meeting
  • PSF: I asked to leave the transition committee, so no more progress report on this henceforth
  • PSF: I gave detailed feedback on the ambassador program
  • PSF: Due to the ongoing discussions about the ambassador program and CLC, I had a meeting with Kato Joshua and his team
  • Community: I attended the CPython core developer sprints, engaging in discussions on garbage collection, did some bug triaging, reviewed pull requests and escalated the issue of having as an stdlib module
  • Community: I continue to help with SymPy documentation, this month iterating three options of documenting the internal API reference i.e apidoc, autoapi and autosummary.

3.13   Thomas Wouters

  • PSF: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • PSF: Participated in the Finance, Fellow, PyCon US and Executive Transition committees.
  • PSF: Several meetings with various parties around the Executive Transition.
  • Steering Council: Participated in weekly SC meetings and PEP review.
  • Steering Council: Rejected and accepted several PEPs, and wrote communication about them.
  • Steering Council: Bi-weekly meetings with the Developer-in-Residence, and separately with the PM for the GitHub Issues migration.
  • Steering Council: Participated in Core Developer Sprint, Q&A session between Core Developers and the Steering Council, and Q&A session with Visionary sponsor Bloomberg.

3.14   Jannis Leidel

October report not provided

3.15   Débora Azevedo

  • PSF: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack conversations
  • Community: worked in the organization of Python Brazil conference (weekly meetings)
  • Community: participated of the annual PyLadies Brazil assembly
  • Community: provided a report about PyLadies Brazil finances
  • Community: gave a talk at Python Brazil about the PSF

3.16   Kushal Das

October report not provided

3.17   Marlene Mhangami

  • PSF: Participated in mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • PSF: Led quarterly D&I meeting
  • PyCon Africa: Attending executive meeting
  • Community: Speaking at PyData Global

3.18   Nina Zakharenko

October report not provided

3.19   Tania Allard

  • PSF: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack conversations
  • PSF: participated in the PyConUS committee
  • Community: Pyladies council meetings and actions
  • Community: Python en Español community management, organising events
  • Community: Python UK Association monthly meeting, AGM and trustee transition duties
  • Community: Miscellaneous tasks, engaged in GitHub issues discussions for the GH issues migration

3.20   Van Lindberg

October report not provided

3.21   Dustin Ingram

October report not provided

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Code of Conduct

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.2   Funding

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.3   Grants

  • See list of resolutions under “Votes Approved by Working Groups”

4.4   Sponsors

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.5   Translation

  • French translation team started translating 3.10:
    • We're maintaining a graph of the evolution of the French translation [1] where we see physical meetups boosted the effort, but lack of physical meetup since COVID slowed down the effort.
    • We see that the loss due to a major version is fast to regain.
    • docsbuild-scripts [2] has been greatly enhanced to reduce manual steps during a new major Python release, it's now a single commit in a single repo. Previously it needed two commits in two repos (cpython and docsbuild-scripts) and running some commands manually in the server for each translations. It's still not perfect, but it works.
    • [1]:
    • [2]:
  • Brazilian Portuguese team keeps moving forward with translating Python docs 3.10.
    • This month we had a translation sprint in the annual event Python Brasil 2021[1]. During the two-days sprint we welcomed 3 new contributors, reached 100% translation in 10 docs, and achieved a total of 316 translated strings.
    • [1]
  • The Spanish translation team also started translating the Python docs for 3.10. We have a page with the translation progress that is always available:
    • As you can see on the page we have 80.87% of the total documentation translated. Mainly missing on the "what's new" pages for old versions of Python. In all other areas we are usually over 90%.
  • Arabic translation team: Nothing to report at this time

  • Polish translation team: raised from 41.45% to 42.40% with progress for language switcher [1].
    • [1]

4.6   Marketing

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.7   Jobs

  • Of the 399 Job submissions created in October 2021:
    • 104 have status approved
    • 1 have status archived
    • 10 have status draft
    • 144 have status expired
    • 93 have status rejected
    • 32 have status removed
    • 15 have status review

4.8   Trademarks

  • Nothing to report

4.9   Fellows

  • Reviewed and voted on Q3 Fellow nominations

4.10   Packaging

  • Nothing to report

4.11   Infrastructure

  • Nothing to report

4.12   Scientific Python

  • Nothing to report

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Grants

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $822 USD to the Django Girls Kenema event happening virtually November 27, 2021

Approved, 7-0-0, 2021-10-11

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $2000 USD to the Plone 2021 conference happening October 23, 2021 virtually

Approved, 7-0-0, 2021-10-11

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $690 USD to the Python Ghana community for a yearly webinar subscription

Approved, 9-0-0, 2021-10-19

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $1000 USD to the Python Week of Code Malawi event starting October 20, 2021. The funding should not be used towards shirts nor bags.

Approved, 8-0-0, 2021-10-19

6.2   Sponsors

  • None at this time.

6.3   Scientific Python

  • None at this time.

8   New Business

  • The PSF discussed opening a retirement plan for PSF staff and voted on the following resolution:

    RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approves opening a retirement plan with Guideline with employer contributions beginning November 1, 2021. The Board authorizes the Executive Director and Accounting staff, including the Controller, Accounting Manager, and Senior Accountant, to represent Python Software Foundation to open the account and act as executors and signatories.

    Approved, 8-0-1, 2021-10-26

9   Discussions

  • The Executive Director provided an update that the new Director of Resource Development will begin at the PSF on Monday, November 8, 2021.
  • The board discussed a speaking engagement opportunity with American Express and if any board members were interested in partaking.
  • The board discussed and reviewed the SWOT analysis from 2019 and have been asked to make suggested edits for their discussions in November.
  • The board discussed providing increased support and oversight for the Future of Ambassador Program and Community Leadership Council.

Meeting adjourned at 15:02 UTC.