Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for Aug. 24, 2021

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2021-08-24 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

August 24, 2021

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 14:00 UTC, on August 24, 2021. Ewa Jodlowska took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (12 of 13) were present at the meeting: Lorena Mesa, Jannis Leidel, Jeff Triplett, Thomas Wouters, Dustin Ingram, Van Lindberg, Ewa Jodlowska, Joannah Nanjekye, Tania Allard, Débora Azevedo, Marlene Mhangami, Kushal Das.

Jackie Augustine (Director of Events), Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Ee W. Durbin III (Dir of Infrastructure), Laura Graves (Financial Analyst), Olivia Sauls (Event Assistant & Admin) were also in attendance.

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

Minutes from prior meeting July 22, 2021:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the July 22, 2021 meeting

Approved, 10-0-2

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports for August 2021

3.1   Ewa Jodlowska

  • Helped review designs for 2022
  • Reviewed sponsorship changes for 2022 and supported new sponsorship sign ups
  • Communicating with potential CiviCRM vendors about the scope of our project
  • Participated in Upstream webinar
  • Working on grants with Grants WG
  • Attended regular Code of Conduct WG meetings and helped take notes
  • Scheduled and supported board directors through virtual member meetings
  • Held several onboarding sessions for Event Assistant and Admin
  • Several calls with GitHub Migration project manager and GitHub lead
  • Worked through the process of adding new WG members and putting together onboarding for them
  • Scoped out work for social media and writer contract position and sent out contract to current PSF blogger
  • Worked with Director of Infrastructure to assess the use of the PSF wiki and its transition to other platforms, follow up with Chairperson
  • Continuing discussions with prospective candidates for Director of Resource Development role
  • Continue to attend weekly Steering Council meetings and help take notes. I continue to review necessary Discourse & mailing list discussions.
  • Continue to log CLAs
  • Bi-weekly check-in with developer-in-residence.
  • Monthly individual goal review
  • Monthly meeting with chairperson to discuss outgoing staff, transition of ED role. Drafted Executive Director JD for chairperson.
  • Continue to moderate several mailing lists
  • Continue to help review contracts, documents and other drafts written by staff
  • Continue to log the fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
  • Continue to answer general PSF email
  • Continue to participate in board discussions
  • Continue to review time sheets
  • Continue to meet with Director of Events, Finance Controller, Director of Infrastructure, and Director of Resource Development regularly and regular communications via Slack and continue to support the staff.

3.2   Jackie Augustine

PyCon US
  • Continued work on volunteer application and program
  • Met with Program, Tutorial, Poster Committee chairs to discuss volunteer recruitment and CFP timeline
  • Finalized task description for volunteer committees
  • Worked with designer on final PyCon US design concept
  • Assisted in identifying updates for sponsorship application flow
  • Updated sponsorship tracking spreadsheet to finalize PyCon 2021 and add PyCon 2022
  • Developed list of PyCon sponsorship benefits for 2022
  • Sent request for new members and scheduled first PyCon Committee meeting
  • Continued work on expo hall floor plan
  • Finalized timeline for PyCon 2022 and created calendar
  • Onboarding of new hire for Event Assistant position
  • Began planning with the convention center and individual vendors
  • Began work on updating RFP for audio visual needs
  • Weekly PyCon Team Call
  • Weekly one on one calls with team members

3.3   Oliva Sauls

PSF and PyCon US
  • Onboarding with Executive Director and Director of Events
  • Independent Learning
  • Draft of Volunteer Recruitment Blog

3.4   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounts payable responsibilities

  • Updating required workplace posters in Zenefits for employees

  • 2020 Audit
    • compiling bank statements and reconciliations
    • tracking down copies of requested bills
    • creating a schedule of other receivables at 12/31/20
    • reviewing AP schedule as of 12/31/20
    • updating contract schedule
  • Reviewed retirement plans with accounting team

  • Started training for AICPA NFP certificate

  • Set up meetings for the Finance Committee for the remainder of the board term

3.5   Joe Carey

  • Donations & Membership
    • Moderated psf-donations mailing list
    • Maintained acknowledgement system
    • Continued integrating Donations Database system to with CiviCRM
  • Sponsorships
    • Created, sent, and updated sponsorship invoices as needed
  • Financial Reporting
    • Applied donation and sponsorship payments in QBO
    • Reconciled donation records between QuickBooks and Donations Database
    • Reconciled PayPal account
    • Recorded PSF sponsorship revenue in accordance with GAAP
    • Reconciled Deferred Revenue accounts
    • Reviewed and updated AR Aging and bad debt reserve
  • Audit
    • Attended meetings with external auditors and accounting team
    • Prepared supporting schedules for the start of the audit
  • Other
    • Held periodic 1:1's with Controller
    • Responded to various emails on psf-donations and accounting
    • Attended accounting staff meetings

3.6   Ee Durbin

  • Infrastructure
    • Decommissioning of final services hosted at OSUOSL and XS4ALL. All PSF Infra runs in DigitalOcean, Heroku, and AWS now.
    • Estimation and forecasting of infrastructure cost and asks for 2021-2022 from supporting platforms.
    • Consideration and research of other potential infrastructure sponsors.
    • Continued collaboration with Django contractor for feature development of Sponsorship application.
    • Initiated Django and Python upgrades for pythondotorg codebase.
    • Support development of sponsor logo placement via
  • PyCon
    • planning with Jackie
  • Director in Residence
    • Support in infrastructure related concerns
    • Attend meetings
  • Packaging Project Manager
    • Onboarding Shamika!
    • Establishing milestones and goals for 2021->2022
    • Begin introductions to PyPA and packaging ecosystem maintainers

3.7   Phyllis Dobbs

Report not provided

3.8   Shamika Mohanan

  • Documentation reading and familiarization
  • Started working on packaging questions for Python Developer Survey
  • Meetings with packaging maintainers

3.10   Lorena Mesa

  • PSF Chair: Attended PSF Executive Director transition committee meetings
  • PSF Chair: Met with Ewa to plan August 2021 agenda
  • PSF: Participated in board meeting and email correspondences
  • PSF: Participated in PSF Grants workgroup email correspondences
  • PSF: Participated in PSF Code of Conduct email correspondences
  • Community: Advising PyLadies Council on their continued work and planning

3.11   Jeff Triplett

  • PSF: Participated in board meetings and correspondences
  • PSF: Participated in Code of Conduct WG meetings and correspondences
  • PSF: Attended PSF Executive Director transition committee meetings and three interviews
  • DSF - DjangoCon US: Weekly meetings and organizing
  • DEFNA - Participated in monthly meetings, email, Slack, and chat discussions.
  • DSF - Participated in email, dms, and chat discussions.
  • Outreach - Co-hosted July & August Python Organizers Hangout.
  • Outreach - mentorship.
  • Outreach - Helped with job outreach.

3.12   Joannah Nanjekye

  • PSF: I participated in the board meeting and voted on several resolutions brought forward in the meeting and by email.
  • PSF: I attended one of the executive director search committees meetings, and a meeting with one of the search firms.
  • PSF: I joined the Pycon US committee, and will attend my first meeting planned for 30th this August.
  • Community: I gave a keynote at EuroPython titled ["Python the Bad Parts"](, where I discussed some of the challenges Python is facing as a language and gave potential solutions. I also talked about my plans as a PSF director.
  • PSF: As a follow-up from the keynote, a community member (Rodrigo Girão Serrão) expressed in working with me on any plans for the ambassador program. I will also follow up with another member (Jared Chung) that Ewa told me about.
  • Community: I also facilitated a Pyladies Kampala hands-on session on contributing to open source where I guided participants to contribute to CPython.
  • Community: I reviewed 11 pull requests on the CPython repository.
  • Community: I continue to improve SymPy documentation, this month I got the "Getting Started" section of the documentation merged, which also includes a complete restructure of the SymPy docs to follow the Diataxis format.
  • Community: I talked about my research work on "An Eclipse OMR-based Garbage Collector for Python" at the Workshop on Implementation, Compilation, Optimization of OO Languages, Programs, and Systems. A paper on the same work was accepted for [CASCON 2021](

3.13   Thomas Wouters

  • PSF: Participated in Board meetings, Executive Transition meetings, search firm meetings and Fellow WG voting.
  • Steering Council: Participated in weekly meetings, PEP review, rejecting and accepting PEPs. Hired the first Developer-in-Residence (a PSF position). Oversaw the GitHub Issues migration work (a PSF project). Dealt with Code of Conduct issues in Core Developer spaces.

3.14   Jannis Leidel

  • PSF: The usual comms
  • PSF: Board meeting, Executive Transition meetings
  • Jazzband: Onboarding new people, triage, some minor bug fix releases

3.15   Débora Azevedo

Report not provided

3.16   Kushal Das

Report not provided

3.17   Marlene Mhangami

Report not provided

3.18   Nina Zakharenko

Report not provided

3.19   Tania Allard

Report not provided

3.20   Van Lindberg

Report not provided

3.21   Dustin Ingram

Report not provided

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Code of Conduct

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.2   Funding

  • Nothing to report at this time. WG did select a new recurring time to meet.

4.3   Sponsors

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.4   Marketing

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.5   Jobs

  • Of the 418 Job submissions created in August 2021:
    • 104 have status approved
    • 28 have status draft
    • 158 have status expired
    • 81 have status rejected
    • 40 have status removed
    • 7 have status review

4.6   Trademarks

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.7   Fellows

  • Received two nominations for Q3 consideration

4.8   Packaging

  • Nothing to report

4.9   Infrastructure

  • Nothing to report

4.10   Scientific Python

  • Nothing to report

5   PSF Board Votes Approved by Email

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the 2021 Q2 Community Service Award to Dori Czapari. Dori has contributed many efforts towards diversity and inclusivity work in the Hungarian Python community, tireless and year-long organization of Django Girls Budapest, and involvement in the Budapest Python user group.

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the 2021 Q2 Community Service Award to Szilvia Kadar. Szilvia has contributed many efforts towards diversity and inclusivity work in the Hungarian Python community, tireless and year-long organization of Django Girls Budapest, and involvement in the Budapest Python user group.

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the 2021 Q3 Community Service Award to Daniela Korossy. Daniela has contributed many efforts towards diversity and inclusivity work in the Hungarian Python community, tireless and year-long organization of Django Girls Budapest, and involvement in the Budapest Python user group.

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the 2021 Q3 Community Service Award to Vicky Twomey-Lee. Vicky has been a PSF Fellow since 2012 and a long time volunteer to several PSF and Python spaces. 7 years ago she founded and continues to help organize the PyLadies Dublin chapter. Additionally, Vicky has been an active contributor to the PSF's Grants WG since the beginning and continues to provide helpful feedback and reviews. She also helps with EuroPython, Python Ireland, and past PyCon Ireland events.

Approved, 13-0-0, 2021-08-24

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Grants

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $550 USD to the Pyladies Vancouver workshops happening September 18, 2021 virtually

Approved, 8-0-0, 2021-09-02

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $865 USD to the PyConZA conference happening October 07, 2021 virtually

Approved, 7-0-0, 2021-09-02

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $3620 USD to the Python for Civic Innovation course happening throughout August 2021

Approved, 7-0-0, 2021-08-31

6.2   Sponsors

  • None at this time.

6.3   Scientific Python

  • None at this time.

8   New Business

  • No new business

9   Discussions

  • The Executive Transition Committee gave an update on the Executive Director transition work, which included meeting with search firms, reviewing their proposals, working on a blog.
  • The board discussed the PSF’s stance on in-person events. It was decided that regional events can take place in-person as long as local laws are being followed in terms of safety measures.
  • The board discussed when they should have their November meeting. It was decided a Doodle was needed to set the day and time.

Meeting adjourned at 14:59 UTC.