PSF Meeting Minutes for July 22, 2021
Title: 2021-07-22 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at python.org Content-Type: text/x-rst
A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 19:00 UTC, on July 22, 2021. Ewa Jodlowska took notes/minutes.
All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").
- 1 Attendance
- 2 Minutes of Past Meetings
- 3 Special Meetings
- 4 Board and Staff Monthly Reports for May - July 2021
- 5 Work Group Reports
- 6 Votes Approved by Email
- 7 Votes Approved by Working Groups
- 8 Consent Agenda Resolutions
- 9 New Business
- 10 Discussions
The following members of the Board of Directors (11 of 13) were present at the meeting: Lorena Mesa, Jannis Leidel, Jeff Triplett, Thomas Wouters, Dustin Ingram, Van Lindberg, Nina Zakharenko, Ewa Jodlowska, Joannah Nanjekye, Tania Allard, Débora Azevedo.
Jackie Augustine (Director of Events), Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Ee W. Durbin III (Dir of Infrastructure), and Laura Graves (Financial Analyst) were also in attendance.
Minutes from prior meeting April 28, 2021:
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at https://firstname.lastname@example.org/message/BYSAC34C45JHJ3E3ZPX2MQ2ADHKHSSHH/ as representing a true and accurate record of the April 28, 2021 meeting.
Two special meetings were held to review the ED's performance and compensation.
Please note: the votes in the June 11th meeting superseded the votes in the June 4th meeting rather than augment the votes in the June 4th meeting (they were deemed inadequately phrased and didn't have the effect the board initially intended).
--- MINUTES BEGIN HERE ---
MEETING OPENED AT 11:19 am PACIFIC TIME Present: Jeff Triplett, Dustin Ingram, Lorena Mesa, Jannis Leidel, Thomas Wouters, Christopher Neugebauer, Marlene Mhangami, Anna Ossowski, Nina Zakharenko
Apologies: Katie McLaughlin, Van Lindberg, Kushal Das
Not present: Ewa Jodlowska
Business conducted by the Board:
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Board of Directors affirm that the Executive Director base compensation resolution approved on June 4 2021 is not in effect. Moved by Thomas Wouters. APPROVED 9-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation provide Ewa Jodlowska a 16.5% merit increase in addition to the 1.5% cost-of-living increase effective June 1, 2021 for her stellar performance as Executive Director and relentless dedication to the staff and community as well as for her growth in responsibility and in the role. Moved by Christopher Neugebauer. APPROVED 9-0-0 MEETING ADJOURNED AT 11:26am PACIFIC TIME
--- MINUTES END HERE ---
-- MINUTES BEGIN HERE --
Special meeting of the Board of Directors of the Python Software Foundation, June 4 2021
MEETING OPENED at 11:39am Pacific Time
Present: Lorena Mesa (Chair), Christopher Neugebauer, Katie McLaughlin, Jannis Leidel, Thomas Wouters, Van Lindberg, Dustin Ingram, Jeff Triplett, Nina Zakharenko
Apologies: Anna Ossowski, Marlene Mhangami
Not present: Ewa Jodlowska
Business conducted by the Board
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation increase Ewa Jodlowska’s base salary by 13% for her stellar performance as Executive Director and relentless dedication to the staff and community as well as for her growth in responsibility and in the role. Moved by Lorena Mesa, Approved 9-0-0
RESOLVED that the Python Software Foundation Board affirms that the employee bonus policy applies to the Executive Director for the Fiscal Year containing Friday 4 June 2021. Moved by Christopher Neugebauer, Approved 9-0-0 ADJOURNED 11:49 am Pacific Time
-- MINUTES END HERE --
- Attended weekly meeting planner call
- Screened dozens of talks
- Attended PyCon US 2021 (Supported “on-site” volunteers for tutorials and sessions, Supported virtual sprints, Assisted with chat participation, Assisted with live emcee)
- Reviewed sponsorship changes for 2022 and discussed with staff how contract handling will happen
- Finished “end of year” staff evaluations
- Prepared for and attended May Executive Board Meetings
- Participated in Upstream panel and PyFestival AMA
- Reviewing Contributing/Managing member CiviCRM import
- Worked with Election administrator on board elections and bylaw votes, worked on outreach to voters
- Working on grants with Grants WG
- Attended regular Code of Conduct WG meetings and helped take notes
- Attended funding WG meeting
- Scheduled and supported board directors through virtual member meetings
- Supported Dir of Resource Development with t-shirt fundraiser
- With team support, created a list of CiviCRM improvements and also researched vendors for RfP and emailed out RfP
- Published May and July newsletters
- Participated in Event Assistant+Admin second round interviews
- Continue to attend weekly Steering Council meetings and help take notes. I continue to review necessary Discourse & mailing list discussions.
- Continue to log CLAs
- Off-boarded Sponsor Coordinator (May) and Director of Resource Development (July)
- Worked on developer-in-residence hiring: rubric, interviews, references, draft contract
- Weekly check-in with developer-in-residence.
- Monthly individual goal review
- Monthly meeting with chairperson to discuss outgoing staff, transition of ED role. Drafted Executive Director JD for chairperson.
- Continue to moderate several mailing lists
- Continue to help review contracts, documents and other drafts written by staff
- Continue to log the fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
- Continue to answer general PSF email
- Continue to participate in board discussions
- Continue to review time sheets
- Continue to meet with Director of Events, Finance Controller, Director of Infrastructure, and Director of Resource Development regularly and regular communications via Slack and continue to support the staff.
- PyCon US
- Finalized all aspects of PyCon US 2021 with AV team, design team, speakers, sponsors, summit committees, volunteers and staff
- Produced and managed the execution of PyCon US 2021 virtually
- Finalized all recordings and worked with AV team to upload content to PyCon US YouTube Channel
- Finalized all accounts payable for PyCon US 2021
- Closed out storefront and finalized all t-shirt orders
- Began outlining the timeline for PyCon US 2022
- Started a project management tool for task and assignments
- Sent RFP to designers to begin concepts for PyCon US 2022
- Worked on PyCon US 2022 budget to determine and account for possible reduced attendance
- Worked with expo hall decorator to begin floor plan design
- Began work on a volunteer sustainability program
- Determined PyCon US 2022 sponsor benefits and discussed updates for the sponsorship application flow
- Assisted with job description for Event Assistant position. Reviewed all resumes received and conducted initial interviews
- Participated in 2nd round interviews for Event Assistant position
- Participated in weekly calls with ED and staff
- Wrapped up the spring fundraiser (social media and acknowledgments)
- Coordinated spring fundraiser T-shirts
- Managing sponsorship logistics (sponsor communications, crafting and negotiating sponsorship agreements, coordinating and tracking sponsor benefits)
- Drafted a list of inefficient PSF internal workflows and procedures and proposed solutions
- Drafted desired updates for Civi CRM
- Collaborated with Jackie on updated PyCon US 2022 sponsor benefits
- Creating a fundraising/marketing calendar for the year
- Scheduled all PSF social media & sponsor posts through August 2021
- Wrote and submitted CZI grant
- Wrote a summary of all PSF programs
- General funder communications and relationship management (edited)
- Legacy Infrastructure migrations
- PyPI administration, support, and development
- Packaging Project Manager hiring and onboarding prep
- Python.org sponsorship application development with Django Contractor
- Election/Referendum administration
- Initial support meeting with DiR
Ongoing accounts payable responsibilities
Employee Advance reconciliations from Q1
Cleaning up Q1 payroll journal entries
- PyCon 2021
- Screening talks for CoC violations
- Financial Aid Reimbursements
- Tutorial Honorarium Payments
- Moderating Sessions
- Moderating Chat Feed
Review of current Meetup groups for posted CoC policies
Creating a schedule of trademarks to determine how much has been spent on each mark we own
Creating a schedule for prepaids and accruals and making related journal entries
Cleanup of 2020 accounts to prepare for the audit
Learning payroll processes and procedures with Phyllis
- PyCon 2021
- Screening talks for CoC violations
- Manage speaker grants/financial aid, tutorial honorarium payments, and other event payments, as well as event cash management and sponsor invoicing.
- 2020 Audit Preparation
- Work with accounting team to review & update documentation for prepaids, deferrals, reconciliations, and other year-end adjustements
- Review and update PSF gift policy
- Banking, Credit Cards, and Loans
- Apply for and receive forgiveness for round 1 Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan received in 2020
- Payroll & Human Resources
- Update PTO policies in employee handbook
- Transition PTO carryforwards from 2020 to Zenefits
- Set up 2 years of continuing professional education for accounting team
- Analyze BCBS health & dental insurance plans for 2021-2022 including enriching dental plan with orthodontic coverage.
- Manage all payroll and human resources functions, including bi-weekly pay, implemeting new annual COLA adjustmets, annual bonuses, and state/worker's compensation issues.
- Begin training Laura on payroll processes for backup purposes.
- Fiscal Sponsorees
- Onboard Jazzband and PyPA
- Work with PyCascades team on organizer changes and review process/procedures for 2022 conference
- PyLadies Auction: support auction platform setup and event
- Donations & Membership
- Added T-Shirt options to CiviCRM donation pages to support Q2 Fundraiser
- Moderated psf-donations mailing list
- Maintained acknowledgement system
- Produced bespoke financial reports and graphs to support fundraising campaigns
- Continued integrating Donations Database system to with CiviCRM
- Created, sent, and updated sponsorship invoices as needed
- Worked with Stripe to understand discrepancy between GitHub Sponsors report and deposits
- Updated records of GitHub Sponsors donations with corrected data
- Financial Reporting
- Applied donation and sponsorship payments in QBO
- Reconciled donation records between QuickBooks and Donations Database
- Reconciled PayPal account
- Recorded PSF sponsorship revenue in accordance with GAAP
- Reconciled Deferred Revenue accounts
- Reviewed and updated AR Aging and bad debt reserve
- Provided updated ACH instructions to depositors
- Invoice corporate PyCon registrations
- Helped with moving the PyLadies auction online
- Record PyCon Sponsorship revenue in accordance with GAAP
- Record PyCon Registration revenue in accordance with GAAP
- Created and sent Adobe Sign forms for PyCon Tutorial Letters
- Created and sent Adobe Sign forms for PyCon Staff Gift Letters
- Helped with screening pre-recorded talks
- Attended PyCon US 2021
- Helped with moderating news feed and monitoring other activity on the platform
- Held periodic 1:1's with Controller
- Responded to various emails on psf-donations and accounting
- Attended accounting staff meetings
Board member reports were not required due to transition to new term
- PSF - Participated in email and Slack discussions
- PSF - Member Meetings for APAC, EMEA
- PSF - PyCon US Booth Staffing
- PyConline AU - CFP promotion, volunteer communications, ongoing organisation
- PSF: Outreach - Members meeting planning, AMER and APAC meetings.
- PSF: Outreach - PyCon booth duty
- PyPA: Continued maintenance and maintainership of projects including PyPI
- Met May 5th, May 19th, June 16, June 30, and July 14th to review and act on reports, review membership of the WG, and
- Held regular meetings to discuss status & ongoing projects
- Nothing to report at this time.
- Nothing to report at this time.
- Continues to review and approve job postings.
- May 2021 We received a total of 25 enquiries to the WG One enquiry was about having a PyCon in Dubai which was unrelated to the trademark Of particular interest is the domain name pycon.cn in China, where we received a (very common email) about the domain being registered by a third party. We asked the community that runs PyCon there about this.
- Jun 2021 We received a total of 19 enquiries to the WG. Issues of interests: 1. A report of a possible trademark violation by https://pythonprogramming.net/support/. The WG came to a conclusion that the logo needs fixing, but the usage is nominative. 2. The python logo is planned to be used in a feature film. The WG decided that the usage is nominative, and will be OK. If the film gets made and usage of the logo is prominently used to advertise the film, then we are inclined that the royalty clause will apply so the filmmakers need to get in touch with us again. 3. A Python school in Norway requested to use the name "Pythonskolen" which meant "The Python School". The WG had to consult with someone who is native or understands Norwegien, and did not permit the use of "Pythonskolen". The applicant then requested to use "Pythonskole" which means "Python School". The WG approves of this.
- Jul 2021 We received a total of 12 enquiries to the WG The PyCon community in CN confirmed that they no longer control pycon.cn and the domains that they control are below: pyconchina.cn pyconchina.com python-china.org.cn cnpyorg.com pychina.org.cn pychinaorg.com cnpyug.com
- Voted on Q2 2021 members and published a blog.
- Nothing to report
- Nothing to report
- Reviewed three grant requests and reviewed the follow up reports received from a couple grants approved in April.
- The Diversity and Inclusion Working Group is a volunteer workgroup within the PSF which aims at support and facilitate the growth of a diverse and international community of Python programmers. Our goals are, among others, to members globally to advocate and provide insights on behalf of their local communities, always communicating and collecting feedback so we better understand how the PSF can support those.
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation board amend the Code of Conduct Work Group Charter as suggested here: https://email@example.com/thread/Y2NI6FLVFQXQZZVXRNQTXZPZRP4A7NFJ/ and discussed here: https://firstname.lastname@example.org/thread/LI7FVZTSWCTSOINGHK4RE4CYKPK3W6W6/
Approved 13-0-0, May 7
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $300 USD to the ICML Workshop on Computational Biology event happening virtually July 23-24, 2021
Approved, 2021-05-04, 6-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $720 USD to the Django Girls Basang event happening virtually June 18, 2021
Approved, 2021-05-04, 8-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $500 USD to the PyHEP workshop happening virtually July 5, 2021
Approved, 2021-05-19, 6-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $2100 USD to the PyCon Colombia conference happening virtually June 19, 2021
Approved, 2021-06-07, 6-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $800 USD to the Witty Virtual TechUp event starting May 31, 2021
Approved 2021-06-15, 6-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $1386 USD to the Django Girls event happening virtually for the Nouadhibou, Mauritania community July 3, 2021
Approved 2021-06-15, 6-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $600 USD to the PyCon Latam 2021 conference happening online August 27, 2021
Approved, 2021-07-12, 6-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $1000 USD to the Hack For Inclusion event happening virtually July 14, 2021
Denied, 2021-07-12, 0-6-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $425.79 USD to the PyLadies Munich Meetup Group to help fund necessary software that will be used throughout the year
Approved, 2021-07-13, 7-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $2300 USD to the PyConline AU 2021 conference happening September 10, 2021
Approved, 2021-07-23, 6-0-0
- None at this time.
RESOLVED, that the PSF Python Scientific Work Group grant US$300 to Sandhya Prabhakaran for lease of an EC2 instead needed in development of Sparcle for spatial transcriptomics.
Approved, 2021-05-02, 4-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Scientific Working Group grant 4000 USD to Layne Sadler to fund development work on the AIQC framework's support for time series preprocessing and analysis.
Approved, 2021-06-15, 4-0-1
RESOLVED, that the PSF's Scientific Work Group grant $1000 USD to the Third Annual Computer Science in Modern Biology Workshop (https://compscibio.com) happening virtually August 2, 2021.
Approved, 2021-07-13, 6-0-1
- None at this time
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Guido van Rossum as President ex-officio for the 2021/2022 term. Approved, 11-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Lorena Mesa as Chair for the 2021/2022 term. Approved, 11-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Van Lindberg as General Counsel for the 2021/2022 term. Approved, 11-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Ewa Jodlowska as Secretary for the 2021/2022 term. Approved, 11-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Jackie Augustine as the Event Coordinator for PyCon US 2022. Approved, 11-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Emily Morehouse-Valcarcel as PyCon US Chair for PyCon 2022. Approved, 11-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Thomas Wouters as Vice Chair Elect for the 2021/2022 term. Approved, 11-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Marlene Mhangami and Joannah Nanjekye as Vice-Chair(s) for the 2021/2022 term. Approved, 11-0-0
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Jeff Triplett as Treasurer for the 2021/2022 term. Approved, 10-0-1
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Jannis Leidel, Nina Zakharenko, and Débora Azevedo as Communication Chairs for the 2021/2022 term. Approved, 9-0-2
RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approves adding Thomas Wouters to the Finance Committee. Approved, 10-0-0
- The board directors discussed creating a board sub-committee to address hiring a new Executive Director. The Chairperson recruited directors and started a committee.
- All other business that the board could not get to in time will be taken to email.
Meeting adjourned at 20:05 UTC.