PSF Meeting Minutes for Aug. 16, 2013

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

August 16, 2013

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat beginning at 18:00 CEST/ 12:00 EDT, on August 16 2013. Van Lindberg presided over the meeting. Ewa Jodlowska prepared the minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (9 of 11) were present at the meeting: Van Lindberg, Jesse Noller, Tim Peters, Doug Napoleone (joined during the last resolution), David Mertz, Jessica McKellar, Brian Curtin, Alex Gaynor, and Brett Cannon. Also in attendance were Ewa Jodlowska (Secretary/Administrator) and Kurt Kaiser (Treasurer).

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

The 26 July 2013 Board meeting minutes were voted on and approved.

RESOLVED: that the PSF approve the minutes at http://mail.python.org/mailman/private/psf-board/2013-July/022765.html as representing a true and accurate record of the July 26, 2013 meeting.

Approved, 8-0-0.

3   Votes Taken Between Meetings

There were no votes taken between meetings.

4   Votes Taken Over Email

There were no votes taken over email.

5   Reports

5.1   Event Coordinator Report

  1. PyCon AV Management
  • Waiting to hear back from Carl and crew for the mid August extension. As mentioned before, we are waiting to see if Carl will get admittance to Canada on a work permit for PyCon Canada in early August. If it works out, we will start negotiations for PyCon 2014. At that point, David W. will start the permit process sooner for Carl and I will also have a contingency plan.
  1. PyCon Budgeting
  • Working on budget for 2014. It is 95% finished at this point and will be sent for review after August 12. Ledger is being kept up to date as well so we can hit the floor running
  • Have shown Diana the budget and gone through rounds of questions she has had (and may continue to have)
  1. PyCon Electrical
  • nothing to report
  1. Future Event Planning
  • continuing to work on 2016/2017 RFPS.
  1. PyCon Hotel/CC Management
  • continuing to work on receiving the refunds from the CC and commission checks from hotels.
  1. PyCon Housing Management
  • Signed contract for housing management by CTE.
  • Working on getting one or two contracts at cheaper hotels for Financial Aid
  1. PyCon Registration Management
  • Signed contract for reg management by CTE.
  • Had conference call with CTE to go over logistics for how the site should work for PyCon 2014 and changes that we need made.
  • Working with Diana and Mathieu on ways to improve CTE reporting to be able to mass communicate with tutorial attendees.
  1. PyCon Site Visits
  • nothing to report
  1. PyCon Website Management
  • Continuing (this includes Diana and Mathieu as well) to correspond with Caktus about their work on the website.
  • Working on Financial Aid details for the us.pycon.org. The application process is being worked on currently. (this process will be done through us.pycon.org this year rather than a google form to ease some issues we had in 2013). Peter has also been assisting with review.
  1. Legal Issues
  • Mathieu L. has been looking into the details for presenters who will need work permits for PyCon 2014.
  • Working on getting the conference registered with border control.

5.2   Administrator Report

  1. Board Agenda / Minutes
  • I continue to write up the Board Agenda and keep it up to date.
  • I continue to write up the Board Meeting minutes.
  1. Grant and Award Notification
  • I continue to notify respective parties of board resolutions.
  1. Email and Communication
  • I am continuing to monitor all PSF Board/Members mailing lists also making sure emails are being answered/followed up on.
  • I am continuing to read through all of the email threads that occur on the board/members mailing lists.
  1. Contributor Agreements
  • collecting agreements coming through EchoSign and marking them in bug tracker.

System Message: WARNING/2 (<string>, line 122)

Block quote ends without a blank line; unexpected unindent.
Documentation Upkeep and Wiki
  • working on helping with the 2013 PSF Budget and keeping it up to date
  1. Other Conferences
  • Please see the Event Coordinator Report for the detail.

5.3   Sprints Committee Report

  1. Summary
  • Nothing new in the pipeline, but since last report we sponsored two sprints: EuroPython and a group in Florence, Italy. We've also put together our list to re-certify the committee.
  1. Issues / Blockages
  • None
  1. Continued Activities from Last Month
  • None, everyone is currently paid and up-to-date
  1. New Activities
  • As mentioned in the summary, EuroPython, although old, is an event we sponsored but is mentioned here since I missed the last reports. We also sponsored a Django sprint at the end of July in Florence.
  • A small discussion occurred on our list when a group requested funding for a sprint they did nearly nine months ago. We sometimes do sponsor sprints after the fact, although usually a very short time after (single digit days), and we've usually been in contact with the organizers in some way. Because of that, we rejected the request. It also brought up that while we don't have a formal policy, we have always been against sponsoring events that are explicitly "beer and wine" sprints as this one was. We've worked with requestors in the past to be more welcoming, but this isn't explicit policy - perhaps we should pencil this in somewhere.

6   Trademark Committee Work Group

RESOLVED, that the Trademark Committee shall be a working group of the Python Software Foundation, co-chaired by David Mertz and Marc-André Lemburg. Membership shall consist of co-chairs and additionally Carl Tracthe, Doug Napoleone, David Goodger, Van Lindberg. Co-chairs shall, by joint agreement, have the power to add or remove committee members, with the current membership roster to be approved by the Python Software Foundation Board of Directors at least once per year

Approved, 7-0-1.

7   Sprint Committee Work Group

RESOLVED, that the Trademark Committee shall be a working group of the Python Software Foundation, co-chaired by Brian Curtin and Jesse Noller. Membership shall consist of co-chairs and additionally Fred Drake, Alex Gaynor, and Doug Napoleone. Co-chairs shall, by joint agreement, have the power to add or remove committee members, with the current membership roster to be approved by the Python Software Foundation Board of Directors at least once per year

Approved, 7-0-1.

8   Event Coordinator & PyCon contracts

Resolved, that the PSF event coordinator and administrator, Ewa Jodlowska, may enter into PyCon related contracts as required and approve budget items for PyCon up to 15,000 USD without prior board approval but with timely reporting to the PSF board

Approved, 8-0-0.

9   Other Business

  • the board has delayed the voting on "RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation grant $3,000 to the CodeChix Bay Area outreach group to organize and conduct Python workshops, outreach and other teaching programs" until the next board meeting. David will follow up with them regarding their initial grant request for a revised proposal.

10   Adjournment

Jesse Noller adjourned the meeting at 18:38 CEST/ 12:38 EDT.

Notice: While Javascript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn Javascript on for the full experience.