PSF Meeting Minutes for 2013-03-29

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

March 29, 2013

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat beginning at 17:00 CET/ 12:00 EDT, on March 29 2013. Van Lindberg presided over the meeting. Ewa Jodlowska prepared the minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (8 of ll) were present at the meeting: Van Lindberg, Steve Holden, Tim Peters, Brian Curtin, Doug Napoleone, David Mertz, Jessica McKellar, and Andrew Kuchling (Jessica and Andrew joined for the last item the board voted on). Also in attendance were Kurt Kaiser (Treasurer) and Ewa Jodlowska (Secretary/Administrator).

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

The 05 March 2013 Board meeting minutes were voted on and approved.

RESOLVED: that the PSF approve the minutes at http://mail.python.org/mailman/private/psf-board/2013-March/021427.html as representing a true and accurate record of the March 05 2013 meeting.

Approved, 8-0-0.

3   Votes Taken Between Meetings

There were no votes taken between meetings.

4   Votes Taken Over Email

There were no votes taken over email.

5   Reports

5.1   Event Coordinator Report

  1. Other PSF Conferences
  • Successfully saved internet costs for PyData and pgDay. The PSF needs to now bill them back for those costs.
  1. PyCon AV Management
  • Worked with the staff to get the AV quote where it needs to be for the PyCon 2013 budget.
  1. PyCon Budgeting
  • Constantly working on ledger items and payment instructions for KBK.
  • Working on the budget to make sure it is as accurate as possible. This includes misc costs, F&B, AV, hotel, commissions, financial aid, etc.
  • Collecting all final bills and making sure they are correct before they are placed in the ledger for payment.
  1. PyCon Catering
  • Finalized PyCon 2013 catering.
  1. PyCon Contract Negotiations
  • Nothing to report for February & March
  1. PyCon Electrical
  • Finalized the electrical needs for PyCon 2013 with Tricord. M1, M2, and M3 were lacking power for the tutorials so they were added late by Tricord and PyCon staff. Discount was added to our final bill for this mishap.
  1. PyCon Exhibit Hall
  • finalized expo floor with Tricord.
  • finalized the start up row with Tricord
  • finalized food flow with Convention Center
  1. PyCon Financial Aid
  • Emails, emails, emails
  • Answering many financial aid emails regarding housing and how certain funds will be applied for people. There seem to be many special cases where funds have to be reallocated.
  • keeping a spreadsheet up to date with everyones housing needs. Cut off is in a week and after that I will begin to pair people up and reserving rooms.
  • Many people chose not to follow the FA instructions sent out by Peter so we had a few issues with housing. This needs to be addressed for 2014 because it has become a painful process for myself and all parties involved.
  1. Future Event Planning
  • Everything PyCon related. Worked PyCon onsite from March 8 - March 21.
  1. PyCon Hotel/CC Management
  • Finalized floor plans for all of the meeting room space.
  • Finalized tear downs for the entire conference.
  1. PyCon Housing Management
  • Worked on getting contracts for additional rooms so we can accommodate all people who were waiting for housing.
  1. PyCon Internet
  • Finalized the internet needs for 2013. Working with SmartCity on this.
  1. PyCon Printing
  • Assisted with program printing towards the end.
  • Gathered printing for tutorial handouts and coordinated with JP Graphics.
  • Gathering printing for open space cards.
  • Worked on all meter boards and schedules including editing.
  • Had all signage organized for printing by Tricord.
  1. PyCon Registration Management
  • I had (and continue to) daily communication with the registration bureau regarding special requests and general questions.
  1. PyCon Site Visits
  • Nothing to Report for February & March.
  1. PyCon Sponsors
  • Emails, emails, emails
  • I continuously respond to sponsor emails that have questions about logistics/general things.
  1. PyCon Website Management
  • Nothing to Report for February & March.

5.2   Administrator Report

  1. Board Agenda / Minutes
  • I continue to write up the Board Agenda and keep it up to date.
  • I continue to write up the Board Meeting minutes.
  1. Grant and Award Notification
  • I continue to notify respective parties of board resolutions.
  1. Email and Communication
  • I am continuing to monitor all PSF Board/Members mailing lists also making sure emails are being answered/followed up on.
  • I am continuing to read through all of the email threads that occur on the board/members mailing lists.
  1. Document Creation
  • The letters for PSF Sponsor Members has been created. KBK has sent me instructions for sending them out. They will be going out this week.
  • I have been creating a series of reports for Van to assist with the PSF budget for 2013.
  1. Research and Review
  • worked with Van and trademark committee on the Community Trade Mark application process by organizing all of the evidence that was received by the PSF. Also assisted with communications between the PSF and Kilburn & Strode LLP (the firm who represented by the PSF).
  1. Contributor Agreements
  • The EchoSign contributor form has gone live on the pythondotorg website. Since then we have received approximately 50 forms, which is about 75% more than we usually receive in that time frame.
  1. Documentation Upkeep and Wiki
  • nothing to report for February & March
  1. Election Management/Membership
  • Preparing with David and board for the upcoming elections.
  • Keeping track of all nominees for the PSF membership.
  • Making sure all of the membership data is correct for when the ballots are sent out.
  • Contacting nominees regarding membership applications.
  1. Website and Infrastructure Management
  • nothing to report for February & March
  1. Other Conferences
  • Please see the Event Coordinator Report for the detail.

6   Placing New Membership Structure on April Ballot

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Board approves the initial New Membership Model (v.1.1.1) presented at http://wiki.python.org/psf/NewMembershipModel, to be voted on by the PSF's membership in the April election.

Approved, 6-0-0.

7   Removal of Python Community Code of Conduct from April Ballot

RESOLVED, that the board withdraws the resolution on 2013-03-05 to put the initial Python Community Code of Conduct up for membership vote in the next election, and instead lets the membership vote on whether they (a) want the PSF to establish a code of conduct for the Python community, and (b) want the PSF to establish a code of conduct for the PSF, at the next election. The details of the code of conduct will be worked out by a work group, created for this purpose, and the results presented to the membership for approval.

Denied, 0-6-0.

8   PSF Formal Support of Educational Content

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation formally support the development of Python-focused educational content in conjunction with Rackspace University and the State of Texas, contingent on the resulting content being free of vendor branding and released under a free and open license to the public.

Tabled until text is better developed.

9   Placing Python Software Foundation Code of Conduct on April Ballot

RESOLVED, that the board approves the initial Python Software Foundation Code of Conduct presented by Nick Coghlan, to be voted on by the membership during the next election.

Approved, 7-0-1.

11   Adjournment

Van Lindberg adjourned the meeting at 17:55 CET/ 12:55 EDT.

Notice: While Javascript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn Javascript on for the full experience.