Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for Sept. 21, 2022

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2022-09-21 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

September 21, 2022

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 19:00 UTC, on September 21, 2022. Olivia Sauls took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (12 of 13) were present at the meeting: Jeff Triplett, Thomas Wouters, Deb Nicholson, Dustin Ingram, Dawn Wages, Débora Azevedo, Jannis Leidel, Simon Willison, Nina Zakharenko, Tania Allard, Kushal Das, Van Lindberg.

Jackie Augustine (Director of Events), Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Ee W. Durbin III (Dir of Infrastructure), Laura Graves (Financial Analyst), Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Olivia Sauls (Event Assistant & Admin), Loren Crary (Director of Resource Development), Chloe Gerhardson (Infrastructure Engineer) were also in attendance.

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

Minutes from prior meeting August 17, 2022:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the August 17, 2022 meeting.

Approved, 10-0-0

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports for September 2022

3.1   Deb Nicholson

  • Staff retreat is set for October 3rd - 6th in Vermont
  • Drafted a job description for a comms and outreach role
  • Reworking the flow for membership sign-up to streamline and include new tier
  • Have started planning for the year-end membership drive, focused on publicizing the the new lower tier
  • Olivia is our new point person for the Grants Working Group (Laura is available as back-up)
  • Olivia and I are also going through all the working groups with a goal of cleaning up the listings and highlighting the active groups that are seeking new participants
  • Started gathering ideas on how to best do translations with volunteers and keeping them current
  • Met with Finance Committee and am gathering information for 2023 budget planning
  • We had contract meeting with OpenSSF, ironing out a few minor phrasings
  • Gathering a proposal for work we could do for Georgetown
  • Met with BU's computer and data science provost to discuss possibilities for collaboration
  • Invited to keynote Open3D Event and talk about the value of building bridges between our communities
  • Participating remotely in the Open Source Day at Grace Hopper

3.2   Jackie Augustine

  • Finalized design edits with design team
  • Worked with design team to implement assets in
  • Call with CFP committee chairs to begin working on website pages
  • Reviewed and began editing the CFP pages for the launch
  • Continued to build out Pretalx for CFP launch
  • Planned and attended PyCon Committee meeting
  • Sent out pre-conference survey on health and safety protocols
  • Evaluated and prepared report of survey results
  • Worked on and reviewed drafts of website pages for launch of website
  • Call with Hubilo to discuss mobile app and capabilities for lead capture and badge printing
  • Planned and participated in Hatchery Committee call
  • Weekly staff calls with interim manager, director of infrastructure, director of research development
  • Bi-weekly staff call with accounting
  • Daily touchbase with Event Assistant

3.3   Oliva Sauls

  • Managed Grants WG
  • Updating PSF Working Group statuses and documentation
  • Tracking PSF and PyCon US Sponsorship benefits
  • Began building out pages for PyCon US 2023 website
  • Drafting exhibit hall floor plan for PyCon US 2023
  • Answered general PSF email and moderate @psfboard mailing list and @pycon-reg
  • Log fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
  • Working with Director of Resource Development and Executive Director on annual Membership Drive and Fundraiser
  • Drafted volunteer descriptions and application forms for PyCon US CFP reviewers and PyCon US Online Experience Committee
  • Met with Hatchery Committee to discuss relaunching Hatchery Program for PyCon US 2023
  • Added board meeting minutes and resolutions to public records
  • Daily one on one call with Director of Events
  • Attended PyCon US Planners Meeting

3.4   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounting responsibilities

  • Managed Grants Work Group
    • Completed handoff of chair duties to Olivia
  • Updated filings for CAGE and SAM

  • PyCon US 2023 budget cleanup work

3.5   Loren Crary

  • Communication with potential and current sponsors
  • Exploring potential funding/partnership opportunities
  • Sponsorship contract negotiations
  • Sponsor benefit fulfillment
  • End of year fundraiser prep
  • Revenue trends review
  • Supporting PyCon US 2023 planning
  • Independent research and study on open source software and Python language

3.6   Joe Carey

September report not provided

3.7   Ee Durbin

  • PyCon site launch work, coordinating Django Contractors Bernardo and Renato
  • Overseeing and supporting Paid PyPI (Organization features) Project Manager Shamika and contractors
  • PyPI operational support, PR reviews, and issue triaging.
  • Continued onboarding and support for Infrastructure Engineer Chloe.
  • Infrastructure improvements with Chloe’s collaboration:
  • Better dev tooling for psf-salt repo
  • Improved consistency between and infra
  • Better dev tooling for codebase
  • Establishing roadmap for in-kind infrastructure sponsorship renewals (AWS, Fastly, etc)
  • Planning for Heroku free-tier death

3.8   Phyllis Dobbs

  • Work on travel grant committee chair and co-chair staffing. Start updating web page docs for 2023.
Fiscal Sponsorees and Projects
  • Support Fall 2022 Core Dev sprint planning
  • Support fiscal sponsorees particularly PyMNtos, Pallets, PyPA
  • Audit: work on wrapping up 2021 financial audit
  • Insurance: annual worker’s compensation insurance audit
  • Investment: present investment risk questionnaire to Investment Committee
  • Ongoing accounting, budgeting, contract, tax, payroll, and human resources responsibilities

3.9   Chloe Gerhardson

  • Completed work pairing with Ee:
    • Finished work on dockerizing the pythondotorg codebase
    • Improved better tooling for psf-salt repo
    • Improved consistency between and infra
  • Began Kuberneters certification course

3.10   Thomas Wouters

  • [PSF Board Member]: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • [PSF Board Member]: Participated in the Finance, Fellow and PyCon US committees.
  • [Steering Council]: Participated in weekly SC meetings and PEP review.
  • [Steering Council]: Bi-weekly meetings with the Developer-in-Residence.

3.11   Jeff Triplett

  • [PSF] General Slack, email, and discussions
  • [PSF] PyCon US Committee meeting and online discussion
  • [PSF] Conduct WG bi-weekly meetings
  • [PSF] Finance Committee meeting and filled out questionnaire
  • [DSF] General discussions
  • [DEFNA] Monthly Board meeting, contract followup, lots of venue amendments, and 2023 planning
  • [DEFNA] DjangoCon US weekly meetings, and lots of conference planning,
  • [DEFNA] DjangoCon US Twitter Space with our organizing team
  • [Community] monthly conference organizer’s meetup

3.12   Joannah Nanjekye

  • [PSF] Participated in board discussions on slack, topics include
    • Hiring a PyPI resource to handle 2FA transition, a discussion that started after someone volunteered on twitter. My contribution is, it is more sustainable to create a path for folks joining PyPi core, like the efforts done for CPython, but I am not opposed to short-term hiring.
    • Improving SEO for Python documentation. I suggested working together with the CPython documentation work group, they have had similar goals
  • [PSF] Participated in the Pycon committee meetings

  • [PSF] Participated in the Pycon committee discussions on slack, topics include:
    • Review of the survey regarding the health and safety protocols. My contribution was its better to ask for more feedback in an additional text box for when participants answered no/unlikely/negatively. This would give us more context and useful information to act on.
  • [Community] Reviewed Pyladies Kampala sprint grant proposals to different organizations

  • [Community] Reviewed a Pyladies open source workshop by Pyladies Kampala submitted to Pycon South Africa

  • [Community] Had some discussions with organizers of Python Kampala user group on their future events and sponsorship

  • [Community] Still coordinating a time to go through with Python Kampala mailing list moderators on how to moderate a mailing list

  • [CPython core] Met with an Oreilly representative to discuss CPython and any publication-worthy ideas.

3.13   Jannis Leidel

  • [PSF] The usual boards comms channels (Slack etc)
  • [PSF] Met with members of the Scientific Python organizers at EuroSciPy to continue the discussion that we started at SciPy in Austin earlier this year. Participated in their workshop on creating a more welcoming environment for scientific Python users and spoke about the role the PSF has had in providing community management tools like CoC etc. Spoke to Jeff about the possible increase in requests for Scientific Python projects for help with CoC issues.
  • [PSF] Finance and pycon committee review (minor)
  • [PyPA/PSF] Participated in multiple cross-organizational conversations about emerging technologies WASM/WASI with regard to Python, volunteered to join working groups on “WSGI but for WASM/Python” and “packaging” (bringing my hat collection of conda/PyPA/PSF with me)
  • [PyPA] Helped the Beeware OSS project to figure out how they could better ship Python dependencies on mobile devices (iOS/Android), possible overlap with WASM topics
  • [PSF] Continued discussions with Chris Holdgraf about Python and community sustainability at EuroSciPy, following Simon’s prior discussions
  • [Jazzband] Regular maintenance and writing on onboarding plans for new roadies. Shepherded one security specific release and revamped parts of the Jazband backend.
  • [Community] Spoke at EuroSciPy about a volunteer-driven, community-based packaging project conda-forge (relevance to Python: heavily dominated by Scientific Python community)

3.14   Débora Azevedo

  • [PSF] Participated in PyCon committee discussions on meeting
  • [PSF] General discussion on Slack
  • [Community] Gave a talk about the PSF role at the first meeting since 2020 at the Python User Group in Natal/RN/Brazil
  • [Community] Helped organize the September meetup for GruPy-RN in Natal/RN/Brazil
  • [Community] Helped with PyLadies Brazil assembly comms

3.15   Kushal Das

  • PSF grants regular updates/votes.
  • Gave Keynote at PyCon APAC.
  • PyCon Sweden volunteering.

3.16   Dawn Wages

  • [PSF] Finance Committee meeting and filled out questionnaire
  • [DEFNA] DjangoCon US weekly meetings, and lots of conference planning,
  • [DEFNA] DjangoCon US Twitter Space with our organizing team

3.17   Nina Zakharenko

September report not provided.

3.18   Tania Allard

  • [PSF] Participated in PyCon committee discussions on slack
  • [PSF] Participated in board discussions through the usual channels
  • [Community] PyCon UK conference organisation
  • [Community] UKPA board annual report, run AGM, and miscellaneous tasks
  • [Community] Moderation and community management for Python en Espanol Discord server
  • [Community] NUMFOCUS DISC regular tasks and submitted a grant proposal to start a mentorship programme for women/non-binary folks in LatAm interested in Scientific Python contributions

3.19   Van Lindberg

September report not provided.

3.20   Dustin Ingram

3.21   Simon Willison

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Code of Conduct

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.2   Funding

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.3   Grants

  • See list of resolutions under “Votes Approved by Working Groups”

4.4   Sponsors

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.5   Translation

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.6   Marketing

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.7   Jobs

  • Of the 440 Job submissions created in September 2022:
    • 133 have status approved
    • 4 have status archived
    • 11 have status draft
    • 151 have status expired
    • 88 have status rejected
    • 44 have status removed
    • 9 have status review

4.8   Trademarks

  • Nothing to report

4.9   Fellows

  • Reviewed and voted on Q3 Fellow nominations.

4.10   Packaging

  • Nothing to report

4.11   Infrastructure

  • Nothing to report

4.12   Scientific Python

  • Nothing to report

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Grants

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $1,000 USD to Sandhya Prabhakaran for publishing a paper titled "Sparcle: assigning transcripts to cells in multiplexed images."

Denied; 0-7-0, 2022-08-22

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $2,000 USD to the EuroSciPy 2022 event happening August 29 to September 2, 2022, in Basel, Switzerland.

Approved; 8-0-0, 2022-08-24

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $1,478 USD to the 2022 CODE workshop happening virtually from August 8 to August 12, 2022.

Approved; 8-0-0, 2022-08-24

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $500 to the Django Girls Sao Tome event taking place virtually on September 24, 2022.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-08-26

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $3,000 USD to the PyCon Ghana 2022 event taking place October 13-15, 2022 in Accra, Ghana.

Approved; 8-0-0, 2022-08-29

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $800 USD to the PyCon LatAm 2022 event taking place virtually from August 25 to August 27, 2022.

Approved; 9-0-0, 2022-09-07

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $200 USD to the Django Girls Parnaíba Workshop happening on November 11, 2022, in Parnaíba, Brazil.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-09-15

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $900 USD to the Django Girls N’Djamena Workshop happening virtually on October 1, 2022.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-09-19

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $315 USD to the 10th Grupy RN Meetup happening on November 12, 2022, in Natal Brazil.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-09-27

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $8,000 USD to the PyCon JP event happening from October 14 - October 15, 2022, in Shinjuku, Japan.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-09-27

6.2   Sponsors

  • None at this time.

6.3   Scientific Python

  • None at this time.

8   New Business

  • The PSF discussed the Python Brasil 2022 grant proposal and voted on the following resolution:

    RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Board grant $27,000 USD to the Python Brasil 2022 conference happening on October 17, 2022.

    Approved, 12-0-0, 2022-09-21

9   Discussions

  • The board discussed the capacity of the PSF to bring in another staff member and reviewed a draft job description.
  • The board discussed the policy of the Grants Working Group and increased the funding capacity of the WG.
  • The board discussed current issues with staff and volunteer support for PyPI and the possibility of bringing in support staff for PyPI administration.

Meeting adjourned at 21:00 UTC.