Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for Feb. 24, 2022

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2022-02-24 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

February 24, 2022

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 20:00 UTC, on February 24, 2022. Olivia Sauls took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (11 of 12) were present at the meeting: Jeff Triplett, Thomas Wouters, Dustin Ingram, Lorena Mesa, Débora Azevedo, Jannis Leidel, Joannah Nanjekye, Nina Zakharenko, Tania Allard, Kushal Das, Van Lindberg.

Jackie Augustine (Director of Events), Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Ee W. Durbin III (Dir of Infrastructure), Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Olivia Sauls (Event Assistant & Admin), Loren Crary (Director of Resource Development), Shamika Mohanan (Packaging Project Manager) were also in attendance.

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

Minutes from prior meeting January 25, 2022:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the January 25, 2022 meeting.

Approved, 10-0-1

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports for February 2022

3.1   Thomas Wouters

  • Regular meetings with direct reports (weekly/bi-weekly).
  • Kept staff up to date with ED search, arranged for them to meet two candidates and collated their opinions.
  • Signed contracts and invoices.
  • Reviewed financials and budgets.
  • Kept up to date on PyCon US progress, reviewed outgoing communications.
  • Published a blog post on PyCon US and COVID-19.
  • Coordinated with Guido, the core developers and the SC on the Ub Iwerks Award.

3.2   Jackie Augustine

PyCon US
  • Assisted with communications with selected speakers
  • Reviewed and managed schedule build in Pretalx
  • Assisted in sponsorship communication and deliverable tracking
  • Worked with AV vendor on final requirements and plan
  • Worked with event committees to launch webpages
  • Worked with designer on final designs for signs, swag, stickers
  • Finalized contracted services for check-in and badge printing vendor
  • Finalized contracted services for vaccine verification procedure
  • Finalized contracted services for captioning services
  • Met twice with PyLadies Committee to begin plans
  • Created auction item submission form and tracking document
  • Started plan for signage details with exhibit hall service vendor
  • Weekly PyCon team calls - includes Chair and Co-Chair
  • Weekly staff calls with interim manager, director of infrastructure, director of research development
  • Bi-weekly staff call with accounting
  • Daily touchbase with Event Assistant

3.3   Oliva Sauls

PSF & PyCon US
  • Logged CLA’s
  • Answered general PSF email and moderate @psfboard mailing list and @pycon-reg
  • Log fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
  • Continued tracking and scheduling social media posts for PyPI sponsorships and PyCon US
  • Weekly PyCon Team Call
  • Daily one on one calls with Director of Events
  • Updating and reworking PyCon US Expo Hall Floor Plan
  • Met twice with PyLadies committee to begin auction planning
  • Helped Director of Events compare vaccine verification companies and present to PyCon US Board Committee
  • Continuing to build out PyCon US conference website
  • Weekly tracking of PyCon US Sponsorship Benefits

3.4   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounts payable responsibilities
  • Rolling forward 2021 spreadsheets to 2022
  • PyCon US 2022 Travel Grant application: daily review and communication with applications
  • Manage GWG

3.5   Loren Crary

  • Corresponded with potential & current sponsors
  • Met with potential sponsors by video call
  • Maintained and updated records of sponsorship application and finalized sponsorship details
  • Processed sponsorship applications including delivering & negotiating changes to sponsor contracts, finalizing sponsorships and setting up next steps
  • Delivered draft sponsor contracts and negotiating changes with the support of counsel
  • Corresponded with sponsors post-finalization - provided deliverables, how to use the sponsor dashboard, etc.
  • Sent out notifications to sponsors regarding sponsor workshops.
  • Tracked status of unfinalized sponsorships and sent reminders.
  • Drafted and sourced content for Annual Impact Report
  • Conducted self-education research and background reading related to Python, open-source software, etc.
  • Attended PyCascades
  • Weekly and ad hoc internal meetings and one-on-ones

3.6   Joe Carey

February report not provided

3.7   Ee Durbin

February report not provided

3.8   Phyllis Dobbs

  • PyCon
    • Issue round 1 travel grant awards. Notify CSA/DSA/Core Devs of travel grant opportunity.
    • Work with PyLadies Auction team on updating auction ticket prices to better cover food and beverage costs
    • Assist Jackie with contract review and vendor management
    • Support Loren on sponsor contact issues
  • Fiscal Sponsorees
    • PyCascades - support 2022 virtual conference. Set up per diem request form for staff/volunteers/speaker
    • PyLadies - continue working on finalizing agreement and chapter level management
  • General
    • Follow-ups with auditor regarding finalizing 2020 audited financials including presenting financials for major program areas
    • Review and issue 2021 1099s and 1042-Ss
    • Implement Flexible Spending Account for staff
    • Back-end support on SunTrust to Truist bank transition
    • Updates to OFAC rules

3.9   Shamika Mohanan

February report not provided

3.10   Łukasz Łanga

February report not provided

3.11   Lorena Mesa

  • [PSF] Continue work with the PSF Executive Director search
  • [PSF] Participate in PSF Grants WG communications, votes, and other monthly commitments
  • [PSF] Participate in PSF Code of Conduct WG monthly commitments
  • [PyLadies] Ongoing work as a PyLadies Slack moderator and administrator
  • [PyCon] Advise, review PyCon Programs submissions
  • [PyCon/PyLadies] Reviewing and participating in preparation for PyLadies PyCon Auction
  • [Community] Preparing PyLadies Panama talk on the PSF as well as Python Web Conference and PyTexas keynotes focusing on PSF

3.12   Thomas Wouters

  • PSF: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • PSF: Participated in the Finance, Fellow, PyCon US and Executive Transition committees.
  • PSF: Interviews with candidates for the Executive Director position.
  • Steering Council: Participated in weekly SC meetings and PEP review.
  • Steering Council: Rejected and accepted several PEPs, and wrote communication about them.
  • Steering Council: Bi-weekly meetings with the Developer-in-Residence.

3.13   Jeff Triplett

  • [PSF] PSF ED search committee and interviews
  • [PSF] PyCon Committee
  • [PSF] Conduct WG bi-weekly meeting
  • [PSF] Finance Committee meeting
  • [PSF] met with Development Director (I owe follow up)
  • [DEFNA] Board meeting and board member search
  • [DEFNA] DjangoCon US website launch/work
  • [Community] spoke at “Supporting open-source contributors” Twitter Spaces meeting
  • [Community] monthly conference organizer’s meetup

3.14   Joannah Nanjekye

  • [PSF] - Reviewed video interviews of potential ED and voted in the straw poll
  • [PSF]- Participated in board discussions
  • [PSF] - Met the patron of the AfroDjango initiative(led by PSf ambassadors Kato and Orsman) to discuss activities of the ambassador program in East Africa
  • [Pycon] - Attended the monthly meeting
  • [Pyladies] - Shared the PyLadies Kampala funding proposal to other co-organizers for review
  • [Pyladies] - Organized the February meetup
  • [Pyladies] - Organized an outreachy focus group and reviewed/mentored applicants
  • [Community] - Spoke at the open source community africa event in kampala about how to ace open source summer programs
  • [Community] - Engaged in some discussions to revive the activities of the Python Kampala community

3.15   Jannis Leidel

  • [PSF board] - engaged in email and Slack discussions
  • [PSF] Participated in PSF Executive Director search
  • [PSF] Attended Q4 Finance Committee meeting
  • [Jazzband] Regular maintenance and facilitation of Google Summer of Code discussion
  • [PyPA] Meeting with Ralf Gommers from Quansight about funding binary wheel default in pip

3.16   Débora Azevedo

  • [PSF board] engaged in email and Slack discussions
  • [Community] Participated in PyCascades in a panel with other members of the Diversity and Inclusion WG

3.17   Kushal Das

  • [PSF board] - slack discussions, PSF ED search …
  • [PSF] Engaging with PyCon Sweden community
  • [PSF] Talking to various community folks

3.18   Marlene Mhangami

February report not provided

3.19   Nina Zakharenko

February report not provided

3.20   Tania Allard

  • [PSF] - engaged in email and Slack discussions
  • [PSF] - continue work with the PSF Executive Director search
  • [PyCon committee] - attended regular meetings
  • [PyCon committee] - propose and vet keynotes
  • [PyCon committee]- aid with communications and planning
  • [PyLadies] -regular PyLadies global council meetings
  • [PyLadies] - organisation and decision-making regarding PyLadies auction and other activities at PyCon
  • [PyLadies] - staffed booth at PyCascades
  • [GH migration] - participated in discussions
  • [GH migration] - work on migrating infra and tools
  • [Community] - Python en Español community activities: Discord moderating, coordinating events and mentorship

3.21   Van Lindberg

February report not provided

3.22   Dustin Ingram

  • [PSF] Ongoing work for PSF Executive Director search
  • [PyPA] Security improvement work: 2FA key rollout, PEP 458/480

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Code of Conduct

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.2   Funding

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.3   Grants

  • See list of resolutions under “Votes Approved by Working Groups”

4.4   Sponsors

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.5   Translation

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.6   Marketing

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.7   Jobs

  • Of the 462 Job submissions created in February 2022:
    • 134 have status approved
    • 3 have status archived
    • 27 have status draft
    • 202 have status expired
    • 57 have status rejected
    • 37 have status removed
    • 2 have status review

4.8   Trademarks

  • Nothing to report

4.9   Fellows

  • Nothing to report

4.10   Packaging

4.11   Infrastructure

  • Nothing to report

4.12   Scientific Python

  • Nothing to report

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Grants

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $1,550 USD to the Python 4 Africa Meet-Up V1 event happening virtually February 12, 2022.

Denied; 0-7-0, 2022-02-17

6.2   Packaging

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Packaging Work Group allocate $196,000 USD of its reserved funds to develop organization and billing support for the Python Package Index.

Approved, 4-0-0, 2022-02-12

6.3   Sponsors

  • None at this time.

6.4   Scientific Python

  • None at this time.

8   New Business

  • None at this time.

9   Discussions

  • The board provided an Executive Director search update.
  • The board discussed the approval of PyCon MEA (Middle East and Africa) by the Trademark WG and providing support for the conference to launch in October 2022.
  • The board discussed the PSF Financial Statements for 2021.
  • The board discussed PSF grant policy clarifications and the capacities of the Grants WG related to event sponsorships.

Meeting adjourned at 21:00 UTC.