Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for Aug. 17, 2022

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2021-09-23 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

August 17, 2022

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 19:00 UTC, on August 17, 2022. Olivia Sauls took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (11 of 13) were present at the meeting: Thomas Wouters, Van Lindberg, Jeff Triplett, Dustin Ingram, Deb Nicholson, Kushal Das, Nina Zakharenko, Tania Allard, Débora Azevedo, Simon Willison, Dawn Wages.

Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Laura Graves (Financial Analyst), Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Olivia Sauls (Event Assistant & Admin), Loren Crary (Director of Resource Development), Chloe Gerhardson (Infrastructure Engineer) were also in attendance.

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

Minutes from prior meeting July 27, 2022:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the July 27, 2022 meeting.

Approved, 9-0-2

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports for August 2022

3.1   Deb Nicholson

  • Olivia is taking on more organizational support work including the the Grants Working Group wrangling and more fundraising support
  • Working on smooth transitions in all work areas
  • Newsletter is being drafted for August
  • Will have hosted two board orientation sessions
  • Looking for low-investment membership boost strategies
  • Have started working on making the best use of our new Civi instance for our accounting tasks, fundraising work will be next
  • We've started gathering travel assistance requests for the Core Developer Sprint this fall
  • Following up on an erroneous “supported by PSF” claim with Van and Trademark working group
  • Staff retreat is set for October 3rd - 6th in Vermont
  • Waiting on a contract from OpenSSF, the matter is with their legal folks at the moment
  • Gathering a proposal for work we could do for Georgetown
  • Renewed Nvidia despite some ongoing reorganization
  • Invited to keynote Open3D Event and talk about the value of building bridges between our communities
  • Participated in a podcast about good corporate citizenship
  • Started gathering ideas on how to best do translations with volunteers and keeping them current
  • I'm looking forward to meeting with Finance Committee and discussing budget plans for the coming year
  • I'm exploring ways to diversify our revenue streams
  • Researching market conditions for a potential new hire to assist with comms generally and with the promotion and outreach of our recognition programs, travel grants and meet-up relationships.

3.2   Jackie Augustine

  • Finalized work on sponsorship benefits for 2023
  • Reviewed updates on sponsorship application
  • Finalized contract with virtual platform vendor
  • Finalized contract with CFP vendor
  • Began build of CFP for 2023
  • Continued work on PyCon US 2023 budget
  • Published blog post addressing community questions about PyCon US 2023
  • Worked with the design team on feedback of initial design concepts for PyCon US 2023
  • Setup monthly calls for PyCon US Board Committee
  • Began bi-weekly PyCon US Planner calls
  • Weekly staff calls with interim manager, director of infrastructure, director of research development
  • Bi-weekly staff call with accounting
  • Daily touchbase with Event Assistant

3.3   Oliva Sauls

PSF & PyCon US
  • Continued working on PSF and PyCon US Volunteer Program, including outreach plans for PyCon US 2023 CFP reviewer recruitment
  • Met with Executive Director and Grants WG chair to learn about the Grants WG and taking over administrative duties
  • Updating sponsor application
  • Filed Github issues for website/software updates/requests for Infrastructure team
  • et with Executive Director and Director of Resources to discuss expanding my role to help with fundraising and membership drives
  • Began drafting Supporting Member annual renewal email
  • Added board meeting minutes and resolutions to public records
  • Daily one on one call with Director of Events
  • Attended PyCon US Planners Meeting

3.4   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounting responsibilities

  • Managed Grants Work Group
    • Meetings with Deb and Olivia for handover of Chair responsibilities
  • Human Resources
    • Compiled Massachusetts posters for new hires in the state
    • Reviewed all state postings for updates and alerted employees as necessary
  • Reviewed all Meetup groups for activity and contacted organizers of inactive groups; removed groups that were unresponsive

  • Reviewed bank account activity and reached out to our banking reps for advice on how to lower fees

  • Meetings and communications with staff and contractors regarding desired upgrades for Civi

3.5   Joe Carey

August report not provided.

3.6   Ee Durbin

August report not provided.

3.7   Phyllis Dobbs

Fiscal Sponsorees and Projects
  • Support fiscal sponsorees particularly revenue relationships for Pallets and PyPA
  • Audit: fulfill new 2021 financial audit requests
  • Financial Statements: prepare and present Q2 2022 financial statements
  • Fundraising: work on CRM priorities with PSF team and external consultant
  • Insurance: review new worker’s compensation insurance policy
  • Ongoing accounting, budgeting, contract, tax, payroll, and human resources responsibilities

3.8   Loren Crary

  • Correspondence and meetings with current and potential sponsors
  • Sponsorship agreement drafting and negotiation
  • Updating of benefits for 2022-2023 Sponsorship packages
  • Planning for end of year fundraiser
  • Independent learning on open source and Python

3.9   Chloe Gerhardson

  • Finished assisting Ee with making upgrades and improvements to the local development environment for PSF Infrastructure
  • Completed production migration of a service in the PSF Infrastructure
  • Added documentation around production migration to
  • Began work on dockerizing the pythondotorg codebase
  • General self-study around software and technologies involved in role

3.10   Thomas Wouters

  • PSF Board Member: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • PSF Board Member: Participated in the Finance, Fellow and PyCon US committees.
  • PSF Board Member: helped on-board new Board members.
  • PSF Board Member: Volunteered to be Board Chair.
  • Steering Council: Participated in weekly SC meetings and PEP review.
  • Steering Council: Bi-weekly meetings with the Developer-in-Residence.

3.11   Jeff Triplett

  • [PSF] General Slack, email, and discussions
  • [PSF] New director onboarding (part 2)
  • [PSF] PyCon US Committee online discussion
  • [PSF] Conduct WG bi-weekly meetings
  • [PSF] Finance Committee August meeting and meetings with Phyllis and Dawn
  • [DEFNA] Board meetings
  • [DEFNA] DjangoCon US weekly meetings, contract amendments, website work, and conference planning
  • [Community] monthly conference organizer’s meetups (lots of PSF questions and several about public board minutes)

3.12   Débora Azevedo

  • [PSF] General Slack and email discussions
  • [Community] Helped with my local city user group to organize their next in-person meeting
  • [Community/PSF] Prepared a talk about the PSF role to present at a local meetup (will happen in the beginning of September
  • [Community] Submitted and reviewed talks for brazilian PyCon (Python Brasil)

3.13   Joannah Nanjekye

  • [PSF] Participated in board discussions
    • On improving minutes
  • [PSF] Catching up on board topics from the minutes for meetings I missed since I am away. Following some reading and comparisons, we can improve the detail for especially discussed topics. I found minutes like for January 2021 more detailed rather than bulleting discussed items, since the minutes are public facing.

  • [Community] Organized speakers for the pyladies Kampala meetup and podcast

  • [Community] Helped get a email for the Python Kampala and Uganda mailing lists.

  • [Community] Ran a poll in the Python Kampala community to recruit volunteer moderators for the mailing list. I have a scheduled a call to brief the moderators about code of conduct and moderating a Python community

  • [Community] Running a mentorship session in Uganda for potential applicants to the open source outreachy program under Pyladies Kampala and focusing on contributing to Python projects.

  • [Public Research] Submitted a patent application for a GC optimization for tracing JITs

  • [Public Research] My work on extensive GC overhead analysis for Python workloads will be published this November, covering realistic scenarios from Instagram, oyster, and other applications in machine learning and gaming.

3.14   Simon Willison

3.15   Jannis Leidel

August report not provided.

3.16   Kushal Das

  • Helping with venue arrangements for multiple PyLadies Stockholm meetups
  • Helping out in the PyCon Sweden organizing team

3.17   Dawn Wages

August report not provided.

3.18   Nina Zakharenko

August report not provided.

3.19   Tania Allard

  • [PSF]: Participated in board meetings, Slack and email discussions
  • [PSF]: Participated in PyCon US and Executive transition committees
  • [PSF]: Joined the CoC WG
  • [Community]: Supported PyCon India Sprints
  • [Community]: Pyladies Council duties, meetings and CoC WG actions
  • [Community]: Python UK AGM and annual reporting
  • [Community]: Follow up on the GH migration work group, work on technical tasks associated to the migration

3.20   Van Lindberg

August report not provided.

3.21   Dustin Ingram

  • [PSF] Met with Tidelift to discuss ongoing support for Python projects
  • [PyPA] Met w/ reps from OMB, LLNL, FTC to discuss future security plans for PyPI
  • [PyPA] Met w/ project manager to discuss namespaces for PyPI and other high-priority fundable projects
  • [Community] Interview w/ Talk Python on PSF, PyPI, etc.

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Code of Conduct

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.2   Grants

  • See list of resolutions under “Votes Approved by Working Groups”

4.3   Sponsors

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.4   Marketing

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.5   Jobs

  • Of the 484 Job submissions created in August 2022:
    • 153 have status approved
    • 29 have status draft
    • 158 have status expired
    • 87 have status rejected
    • 49 have status removed
    • 8 have status review

4.6   Trademarks

  • Nothing to report

4.7   Fellows

  • Nothing to report

4.8   Packaging

  • Nothing to report

4.9   Infrastructure

  • Nothing to report

4.10   Scientific Python

  • Nothing to report

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Grants

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $500 USD to the PyHEP 2022 conference happening virtually September 12-16, 2022.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-08-01

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $5,000 USD to DjangoCon US 2022 happening October 16-21, 2022 in San Diego, California.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-08-01

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $4,000 USD to Sepand Haghighi and team for development of the PyCM library.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-08-01

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $500 USD to The Django Girls Modasa Workshop happening July 12, 2022 in Modasa, India.

Approved; 7-1-1, 2022-08-01

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $2,500 USD to the PyConTW event happening virtually September 3 & 4, 2022.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-08-09

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $6,552.26 to the Abule-Ijoko Bootcamp happening August 15, 2022 in Ijoko, Nigeria.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2022-08-11

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $5,000 USD to PyCon Slovakia, happening September 9, 2022 in Bratislava, Slovakia.

Approved; 9-0-0, 2022-08-16

6.2   Sponsors

  • None at this time.

6.3   Scientific Python

  • None at this time.

8   New Business

  • The PSF discussed adding an additional PSF Membership tier and voted on the following resolution:

    RESOLVED: The PSF sets the applicable yearly membership fee to be a Supporting Member to a minimum of USD 25.

    Approved; 11-0-0, 2022-08-17

  • The PSF discussed a grant request from the Kiwi PyCon conference and voted on the following resolution:

    RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Board grant $6,500 USD to the Kiwi PyCon XI conference happening August 19-21, 2022.

    Approved; 11-0-0, 2022-08-17

9   Discussions

  • The board discussed the PyPI 2fA announcement, security key giveaway and critical projects.
  • The Controller provided Financial Statement results for June 2022 including fiscal sponsor quarterly report.
  • The board discussed and voted on adding an additional $25 Supporting Membership tier.
  • The board discussed and approved the grant request for Kiwi PyCon conference.
  • The board discussed ideas for partnerships for the PSF end of year fundraiser.

Meeting adjourned at 20:34 UTC.