Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for Feb. 15, 2023

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2023-02-15 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

February 15, 2023

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 19:00 UTC, on February 15, 2023. Olivia Sauls took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (12 of 13) were present at the meeting: Thomas Wouters, Nina Zakharenko, Kushal Das, Jeff Triplett, Dustin Ingram, Deb Nicholson, Jannis Leidel, Simon Willison, Débora Azevedo, Van Lindberg, Dawn Wages, Tania Allard.

Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Ee Durbin (Director of Infrastructure), Laura Graves (Financial Analyst), Olivia Sauls (Program Director), Loren Crary (Director of Resource Development), Chloe Gerhardson (Infrastructure Engineer), Sarah Swienckowski-Eckhart (Community Events Manager) were also in attendance.

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

Minutes from prior meeting January 18, 2023:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the January 18, 2023 meeting.

Approved, 10-0-1

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports for February 2023

3.1   Deb Nicholson

  • Started work on the 2022 Annual Report (please send pics!)
  • We'll be working on some individual donor outreach over the next few months
  • We hired someone for the Community Events Coordinator role, welcome Sarah!
  • We also hired a short-term contractor for admin, registration and social media support, welcome Molly!
  • Worked with other staff to build and coordinate on-boarding plans
  • We've started the Security Developer in Residence search, applications are coming in
  • Created a plan for evaluating applicants via the Applicant Tracking System with the Security Hiring team
  • Drafted response about the Transgender healthcare ban in Utah for the PyCon blog
  • Assisting with social media
  • Spoke with Ee and Van about a spoof site, that has since been taken down
  • Met with David Mertz about how to better promote the Trademark guidelines and TWG's work
  • We've sent a proposal with a budget to Georgetown for some specific fundable packaging improvement work
  • Spoke with some of our top tier sponsors and other potential funders about PSF work
  • Spoke to RIT students this month (remotely) about Python and community-driven open source
  • Spoke to the Apereo board about the current landscape for open source non-profits
  • In talks with various community members to make sure there is a community-driven non-profit voice at the table for US policy discussions
  • Following European policy and global licensing conversations

3.2   Oliva Sauls

  • Attended PyCon US Committee Meetings
  • Sent out PyCon US News
  • Log fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
  • Continuing build of PyCon US 2023 website
  • Published PyCon US 2023 Schedule
  • Launched PyCon US 2023 Tutorial, Sponsor Presentation and Summit registration
  • Began onboarding with new Community and Events Manager
  • Met with Online Experience Committee and attended first introductory volunteer meeting
  • Opened PyCon US 2023 Startup Row applications
  • PyCon US vendor and contract review
  • Met with Long Beach CVB to discuss proposal for PyCon US 2026/2027
  • Worked with Altitude C, PyCon AV vendor, to discuss floorplans and allocations
  • Working with sponsors for Exhibit Hall booth selection
  • Found new Lead Retrieval vendor for PyCon US 2023
  • Attended PyLadies Auction planning meeting

3.3   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounting responsibilities
    • Issued 1099s and 1042-Ss for 2022
    • Meeting of the Finance Committee
  • Grants Work Group
    • Chaired Grants Work Group
    • Discussions about the role of COC WG and the TM WG as they relate to the GWG
    • Meeting with Python Ghana organizers to discuss consolidated grant request
  • PyCon US 2023
    • Travel Grant Committee
      • Reviewed Travel Grant Applications - Discuss funding allocations with TG Committee - Awarded grants and followed up with folks who had questions
      • Booking PyCon US Staff Travel
      • Coordinating hotel and per diems for PSF and PyCon US staff
  • Fiscal Sponsorship
    • Assisted in launching PyCascades 2023 Travel Grant program
    • PyLadies auction planning calls
    • Followup call with potential fiscal sponsoree BAPYA
  • PyPI Followup call with Shamika Mohannan
  • D&I Workgroup call

3.4   Joe Carey

February report not provided.

3.5   Ee Durbin

February report not provided.

3.6   Phyllis Dobbs

February report not provided.

3.7   Loren Crary

  • Correspondence and meetings with sponsors and potential sponsors
  • Sponsor contract drafting and negotiation
  • Sponsor benefit fulfillment
  • PyCon US planning
  • Fundraiser follow up work
  • Managing and seeking funding for special projects

3.8   Chloe Gerhardson

  • Continued training with Ee on PagerDuty and assigned FrontLine OnCall rotation
  • Continued regular meetings with a professional mentor outside the PSF
  • Continued work with Ee to develop an understanding around PyPI infrastructure
  • Filed issue on python/psf-salt regarding publishing salt-server-list.rst from back to psf-salt on changes.
  • Began working on configuring our salt states to publish said server-list
  • Researched and resolved errors around deprecated syntax in our saltstack configuration

3.9   Sarah Swienckowski-Eckhart

  • Began onboarding as Community Events Manager
  • Started reviewing onboarding and educational materials
  • Attended PyCon US Committee Meeting
  • Began work on PyCon US Volunteer Program
  • Attended weekly PyCon Team planning meeting
  • Building PyCon US 2023 website pages
  • Attended PyLadies Auction planning meeting
  • Met with Long Beach CVB to discuss proposal for PyCon US 2026/2027

3.10   Thomas Wouters

  • SF Board Member: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • PSF Board Member: Participated in the Finance, Fellow and PyCon US committees.
  • Steering Council: Participated in weekly SC meetings and PEP review.
  • Steering Council: Bi-weekly meetings with the Developer-in-Residence.
  • Steering Council: Participated in Security Developer-in-Residence hiring committee.
  • Release Manager: released Python 3.12.0 alpha 5.

3.11   Jeff Triplett

  • [PSF] General Slack, email, monthly director's meeting, and online discussions
  • [PSF] PyCon US Committee meeting
  • [PSF] Conduct WG bi-weekly meetings and online discussions
  • [PSF] Finance Committee meeting
  • [DEFNA] DjangoCon US 2023 contacts and work
  • [DEFNA] Monthly Board meeting
  • [DEFNA] Interviewed potential new directors, accepted new directors, and got them digitally onboarded
  • [Community] monthly conference organizer's meetup

3.12   Débora Azevedo

  • [PSF] Participated in the PyCon US committee meeting.
  • [Community] Participated in the D&I Friendly Chat as a workgroup member

3.13   Joannah Nanjekye

  • [PSF] Participated in slack and email discussions
  • [PSF] Attended the Pycon US committee meetings and participated in slack discussions
  • [Pyladies Kampala] Coordinating and reviewing community branding in partnership with the innovation village (venue sponsor) contact
  • [Pyladies Kampala] Another review of PSF grant report
  • [PSF] Participated in the diversity and inclusion panel as a PSF board representative
  • [Pycon Uganda] Coordinating the organization committee
    • Met with the content team to strategize on website and CFP guidelines and launch
    • Met with the finance team to set some deadlines on reaching out to sponsorship organizations
    • Coordinated with the PSF trademarks team to approve the logo and website for the conference. Both have been approved and the conference is set to happen.

3.14   Simon Willison

  • [PyCon] Had my tutorial accepted - I’ll be teaching people how to use SQLite with Python
  • [Life] Family visit back to England followed by epic (3 day power outage) storms when we got back, so relatively inactive for the month

3.15   Jannis Leidel

February report not provided.

3.16   Kushal Das

February report not provided.

3.17   Dawn Wages

  • [DjangoCon Africa] Sponsor chair
  • [PSF] PyCon Committee meeting
  • [PyCon]

3.18   Nina Zakharenko

February report not provided.

3.19   Tania Allard

  • [PSF] Participated in board meetings, Slack and mailing list discussions
  • [PSF] Participated in the CoC and PyCon US committees.
  • [Community] Attended PyLadies global council meetings, participated in Slack and GitHub discussions
  • [Community] Organisation of PyLadies luncheon
  • [Community] PyCon tutorials organisation
  • [Community] Mentored Sprints at PyCon organisation

3.20   Van Lindberg

February report not provided.

3.21   Dustin Ingram

February report not provided.

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Code of Conduct

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.2   Grants

  • See list of resolutions under “Votes Approved by Working Groups”

4.3   Sponsors

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.4   Marketing

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.5   Jobs

  • Of the 489 Job submissions created in February 2023:
    • 150 have status approved
    • 3 have status archived
    • 28 have status draft
    • 198 have status expired
    • 58 have status rejected
    • 50 have status removed
    • 2 have status review

4.6   Trademarks

  • Nothing to report

4.7   Fellows

  • Nothing to report

4.8   Packaging

  • Nothing to report

4.9   Infrastructure

  • Nothing to report

4.10   Scientific Python

  • Nothing to report

5   PSF Board Votes Approved by Email

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation accepts the PyCon US 2023 Budget as detailed out in this thread

Approved; 13-0-0, 2023-02-03

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Grants

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $2,000 USD to the Conf42: Python 2023 event happening virtually on March 9, 2023.

Denied; 0-7-0, 2023-02-01

6.2   Sponsors

  • None at this time.

6.3   Scientific Python

  • None at this time.

8   New Business

  • The PSF discussed accepting Bandit and Twisted as fiscal sponsorees of the PSF and voted on the following resolutions:

    RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation accepts Bandit as a fiscal sponsoree in alignment with its tax-exempt mission and that the PSF is authorized to execute a fiscal sponsorship agreement with Bandit.

    Approved; 11-0-0, 2023-02-15

    RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation accepts Twisted as a fiscal sponsoree in alignment with its tax-exempt mission and that the PSF is authorized to execute a fiscal sponsorship agreement with Twisted.

    Approved; 11-0-0, 2023-02-15

  • The PSF discussed the PyCon DE & PyData Berlin 2023 Grant Submission and voted on the following resolution:

    RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Board grant $11,000 USD to the PyCon DE & PyData Berlin 2023 conference happening April 17-19, 2023 in Berlin, Germany.

    Approved; 12-0-0, 2023-02-15

9   Discussions

  • The board reviewed and discussed the PSF 2022 Financial Statements.
  • The board discussed the Cyber Resilience Act in EU and how it affects the PSF.
  • The board revisited the discussion of the “Principles for a Safer Developer Ecosystem” and the response from the Steering Council.
  • The board discussed the creation of a PSF Community Leadership Council and reviewed the draft plan.
  • The board discussed the PSF Ambassador Program and the potential of creating a Working Group to support this work.

Meeting adjourned at 21:00 UTC