Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for June 21, 2023

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2023-06-21 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

June 21, 2023

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 19:00 UTC, on June 21, 2023. Olivia Sauls took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (8 of 12) were present at the meeting: Nina Zakharenko, Thomas Wouters, Jannis Leidel, Simon Willison, Débora Azevedo, Dawn Wages, Tania Allard, Deb Nicholson.

Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Ee Durbin (Director of Infrastructure), Laura Graves (Financial Analyst), Olivia Sauls (Program Director), Loren Crary (Director of Resource Development), Seth Larson (Security Developer in Residence) were also in attendance.

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

Minutes from prior meeting May 17, 2023:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the May 17, 2023 meeting.

Approved, 6-0-2

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports for June 2023

3.1   Deb Nicholson

  • Board Election
    • This year we merged all the lists into Civi (this was a ton of work on Ee and Joe's part)
    • This process also illuminated some non-optimal workflows on many of which Ee and Joe addressed in the last two weeks
    • It also highlighted some gaps in our work, especially that the website in general needs more dedicated attention.
  • Staffing
    • The Security Developer in Residence has started! Press release is coming.
    • We posted the Community Events Coordinator and Community Communications roles this past month.
    • The Deputy Developer in Residence will be posted in the next few days.
    • Nearly all staff evaluations have been completed.
  • Promotion and Outreach
    • The 2022 Annual Report is nearing its final stages
    • I spoke at PyCon Colombia last week and met many people who were really excited to build up the South American Python community.
    • I'll be attending some other events this summer; FOSSY where I'm speaking about non-profit boards, EuroPython where I've been given a slot to talk about PSF and will be on a panel about CRA and the Open Source Congress where I've been asked to join a panel about navigating security policy (eg CRA again)

3.2   Oliva Sauls

  • Finalized PyCon US 2026/2027 contracts for Long Beach, CA
  • Began meeting with Visit Pittsburgh and David Lawrence Convention Center to start planning for PyCon US 2024
  • Post PyCon US 2023 wrap up
    • Vendor negotiation
    • Contract finalization
    • Final housing pickup reports and audits
    • Invoice settlement
    • PyCon US 2023 final report
    • Online Experience Committee wrap up
  • Finalizing PyCon US 2023 budget
  • Published PyCon US 2023 recordings to the PyCon US YouTube channel
  • Preparing to hire candidates for Community Events Coordinator role
  • Meeting with PyLadies organizers to help plan virtual PyLadies conference using the PyCon US Hubilo

3.3   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounting responsibilities
  • Grants Work Group
  • Fiscal Sponsorees
    • Worked with PyCascades on issuing payments for travel grant recipients
    • BAPYA onboarding
  • 2022 Audit: compiled workpapers and created schedules
  • PyCon US 2023
    • Audited travel grants schedule to match actuals
    • Started auditing PyCon US 2023 budget for actuals
    • Contacted and paid outstanding travel grant and tutorial recipients
  • Reviewed groups in Meetup Pro Network – added new groups
  • Updates to SAM profile
  • Finance Committee Meeting

3.4   Joe Carey

June report not provided.

3.5   Ee Durbin

June report not provided.

3.6   Phyllis Dobbs

June report not provided.

3.7   Loren Crary

  • Meetings & correspondence with current & potential sponsors
  • Post PyCon US support
  • Hiring/recruiting support
  • Prospective funding channels and general research and study

3.8   Chloe Gerhardson

  • Began work around creating an automated fastly’s compute geoip service for pypi/infra
  • Finished TLS configuration for log aggregation script
  • Began researching how to make above mentioned script scalable
  • Continued on PagerDuty and assigned FrontLine OnCall rotation
  • Continued work to develop an understanding around PyPI infrastructure
  • Continued regular meetings with Tania as a Professional Mentor

3.9   Thomas Wouters

  • PSF Board: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • PSF Board: Participated in the Finance, Fellow and PyCon US committees.
  • PSF Board: Informal meeting with former Executive Director.
  • Steering Council: Participated in weekly SC meetings and PEP review.
  • Steering Council: Bi-weekly meetings with the Developer-in-Residence.
  • Release Manager: Released Python 3.12.0 beta 1, 2 and 3.

3.10   Jeff Triplett

  • [PSF] General Slack, email, monthly director's meeting, and online discussions
  • [PSF] Finance committee meeting
  • [PSF] Conduct WG bi-weekly meetings and online discussions (busy month)
  • [PSF] Promoting the Board elections and doing a few interviews to help promote it
  • [DEFNA] Monthly Board meeting and officer updates.
  • [DEFNA] DjangoCon US 2023 meetings, planning, and opportunity grant review
  • [Community] monthly conference organizer's meetup (Friday and a Wednesday sessions)

3.11   Débora Azevedo

June report not provided.

3.12   Joannah Nanjekye

  • [Core dev] Working on a language migration for CPython
    • A project we are calling, pygrate, we are writing a paper that will make public our findings on automatic migration of Python code incase of incompatible upstream releases.
  • [Core dev] Involved in core C API discussions with some HPy folks.
  • [PSF] Participated in board slack and email discussions.
  • [PSF] Had four 1:1s with folks interested in running for the board.
  • [PSF] Helped review nomination statements for the above potential board members.
  • [PSF] Wrote my board year-in-review, with my personal reflection on the board.
  • [PSF] Had some discussions with Marlene on how to encourage voter enrollment from places like Africa, Apac etc
  • [PSF] Discussed PSF contributing member enrollment with Pyladies Kampala and PyCon Uganda leads.
  • [Pyladies] Helped coordinate speakers for the Pyladie Kampala in-person meetups and online sessions
  • [Pyladies] Coordinated partnership policies for Pyladies Kampala
  • [Community] Helped with coordination activities for PyCon Uganda organization

3.13   Simon Willison

June report not provided.

3.14   Jannis Leidel

June report not provided.

3.15   Kushal Das

June report not provided.

3.16   Dawn Wages

June report not provided.

3.17   Nina Zakharenko

June report not provided.

3.18   Tania Allard

June report not provided.

3.19   Dustin Ingram

June report not provided.

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Code of Conduct

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.2   Grants

  • See list of resolutions under “Votes Approved by Working Groups”

4.3   Sponsors

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.4   Marketing

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.5   Jobs

  • Of the 533 Job submissions created in June 2023:
    • 163 have status approved
    • 5 have status archived
    • 27 have status draft
    • 153 have status expired
    • 94 have status rejected
    • 86 have status removed
    • 5 have status review

4.6   Trademarks

  • Nothing to report

4.7   Fellows

  • Nothing to report

4.8   Packaging

  • Nothing to report

4.9   Infrastructure

  • Nothing to report

4.10   Scientific Python

  • Nothing to report

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Grants

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $2,500 USD to the Python Workshop at WITIN innovation Summit taking place May 22-24, 2023 in Lagos, Nigeria.

Denied; 0-7-0, 2023-05-18

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Board grant $7,500 USD to the Building Python Communities program happening June 20- July 30, 2023 in Buea, Cameroon.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2023-05-18

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $3,850 USD to the PyCon Colombia conference taking place June 9-11, 2023 in Bogotá, Colombia.

Approved; 8-0-0, 2023-05-19

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $750 USD to the DjangoGirls Xai-Xai event taking place June 17, 2023 in Xai-Xai, Mozambique.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2023-05-26

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $3,000 USD to AfroPython Conf 2023 taking place on July 22, 2023 in Salvador, Brazil.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2023-06-06

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $5,000 USD to PyCon Portugal taking place September 7-9, 2023 in Coimbra, Portugal.

Approved; 8-0-0, 2023-06-06

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $1,500 USD to the Django Girls Abraka workshop taking place July 7, 2023 in Abraka, Nigeria.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2023-06-08

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $10,000 USD to Kiwi PyCon XII taking place September 15-17, 2023 in Invercargill, New Zealand.

Approved; 8-0-0, 2023-06-12

6.2   Sponsors

  • None at this time.

6.3   Scientific Python

  • None at this time.

8   New Business

  • The PSF discussed the ninth annual PyCon Korea Conference Grant Submission and voted on the following resolution:

    RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Board grant $11,160 USD to the PyCon Korea Conference taking place August 11-13, 2023 in Seoul, South Korea.

    Approved; 7-0-1, 2023-06-21

9   Discussions

  • The board discussed updating Board Orientation resources on the PSF wikis and public records.
  • The board discussed Board Orientation for newly elected members and inviting existing board members to attend as well as the transition process of board members leaving their seats to newly elected members.
  • The board discussed the election of new officers and committee membership.
  • The board discussed D&I Initiatives brought up at the in-person board meeting at PyCon US 2023 and keeping momentum towards this.

Meeting adjourned at 19:44 UTC