Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for Jan. 18, 2023

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2023-01-18 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

January 18, 2023

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 17:00 UTC, on January 18, 2023. Olivia Sauls took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (11 of 13) were present at the meeting: Thomas Wouters, Nina Zakharenko, Jeff Triplett, Dustin Ingram, Deb Nicholson, Jannis Leidel, Simon Willison, Débora Azevedo, Van Lindberg, Dawn Wages, Tania Allard.

Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Ee Durbin (Director of Infrastructure), Laura Graves (Financial Analyst), Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Olivia Sauls (Event Assistant & Admin), Loren Crary (Director of Resource Development), Chloe Gerhardson (Infrastructure Engineer) were also in attendance.

2   Minutes of Past Meetings

Minutes from prior meeting December 14, 2022:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the December 14, 2022 meeting.

Approved, 8-0-3

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports for January 2023

3.1   Deb Nicholson

  • Membership
    • Worked with Loren to plan and execute our year-end membership drive
    • We'll be working on some individual donor outreach over the next few months
    • Sent out December newsletter, the next one goes out next month
  • PyCon US staffing
    • We've started interviewing for the Community Events Coordinator role
    • Continuing to assist Olivia with some admin and social media tasks
    • Clarified some temporary support needs where we could use short-term contractors to assist with PyCon US
  • Security and Packaging Work
    • Working on getting an Applicant Tracking System in place for the Security Captain job search
    • Assembled a search committee for the Security Captain role
    • Working with Loren to pitch some security support work to AWS
    • Offered feedback on Shamika's Fellowship proposal in preparation for community input
  • Committee work
    • Fostering communication between the GWG and CoC WG to improve accountability
    • Participated in conversations with potential and current fiscal sponsorees
  • Outside collaboration
    • In talks to collaborate with Apereo on an "education portal for open source"
    • In talks with various community members to make sure there is a community-driven non-profit voice at the table for US policy discussions
    • Following European policy and global licensing conversations
    • Speaking to RIT students next month (remotely) about Python and community-driven open source

3.2   Oliva Sauls

  • Attended PyCon US Committee Meetings
  • Sent out second PyCon US News
  • Log fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
  • Continuing build of PyCon US 2023 website
  • Finished PyCon US 2023 CFP review process in Pretalx and helped CFP Commitee volunteers send out speaker acceptances
  • Began PyCon US 2023 schedule build
  • Worked with PyCon US 2023 Chair to finalized Keynote speaker selections
  • Interviewed candidate for Community Events Manager position
  • Finalized PyCon US 2023 budget
  • PyCon US vendor and contract review
  • Working with summit organizers to plan the PyCon US 2023 Summits
  • Attended PyLadies Auction planning meeting

3.3   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounting responsibilities
    • Updated prepaid schedule for 2022
    • Reducing year-end AP
    • Started review for issuing 2022 1099’s
  • Grants Work Group
    • Chaired Grants Work Group
    • Updated Resolution Notification Email
  • PyCon US 2023 Travel Grant Committee
    • Reviewed Travel Grant Applications
    • Discussed and approved large request from school group
  • Fiscal Sponsorship
    • Assisted in launching PyCascades 2023 Travel Grant program
    • PyLadies auction planning calls
    • Followup call with potential fiscal sponsoree BAPYA
  • PSF Staff Holiday “Party”
  • PyPI review with Shamika Mohanan
  • Reviewing PSF’s policy for receiving bequests

3.4   Joe Carey

January report not provided.

3.5   Ee Durbin

January report not provided.

3.6   Phyllis Dobbs

January report not provided.

3.7   Loren Crary

  • Correspondence and meetings with sponsors and potential sponsors
  • Sponsor contract drafting and negotiation
  • Sponsor benefit fulfillment
  • PyCon US planning
  • Fundraiser follow up work
  • Managing and seeking funding for special projects

3.8   Chloe Gerhardson

  • PSF Holiday party
  • Continued postgresql course
  • Continued training with Ee on PagerDuty and assigned FrontLine OnCall rotation
  • Continued regular meetings with a professional mentor outside the PSF
  • Continued work with Ee to develop an understanding around PyPI infrastructure
  • Configured logrotate to work with Ubuntu 20.04
  • Automated fastly ip addresses

3.9   Thomas Wouters

  • PSF Board Member: Participated in board meetings, mailing list discussions, Slack.
  • PSF Board Member: Participated in the Finance, Fellow and PyCon US committees.
  • Steering Council: Onboarded new SC member, offboarded departing SC member.
  • Steering Council: Participated in weekly SC meetings and PEP review.
  • Steering Council: Bi-weekly meetings with the Developer-in-Residence.
  • Release Manager: released Python 3.12.0 alpha 4.

3.10   Jeff Triplett

  • [PSF] General Slack, email, monthly director's meeting, and online discussions
  • [PSF] PyCon US Committee online discussions (I missed our online meeting)
  • [PSF] Conduct WG bi-weekly meetings and online discussions
  • [PSF] Fundraising small amount of work helping spread the word
  • [DEFNA] worked on and tried to sign contracts for DjangoCon US 2023
  • [DEFNA] Monthly Board meeting
  • [DEFNA] Interviewed potential new directors, accepted new directors, and got them digitally onboarded
  • [Community] monthly conference organizer's meetup
  • [Life] I took two weeks off for the holidays and kids being home and juggled a sick kid in between.

3.11   Débora Azevedo

January report not provided.

3.12   Joannah Nanjekye

January report not provided.

3.13   Simon Willison

  • [PyCon] Had my tutorial accepted - I’ll be teaching people how to use SQLite with Python
  • [Life] Family visit back to England followed by epic (3 day power outage) storms when we got back, so relatively inactive for the month

3.14   Jannis Leidel

January report not provided.

3.15   Kushal Das

January report not provided.

3.16   Dawn Wages

December report not provided.

3.17   Nina Zakharenko

January report not provided.

3.18   Tania Allard

January report not provided.

3.19   Van Lindberg

January report not provided.

3.20   Dustin Ingram

January report not provided.

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Code of Conduct

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.2   Grants

  • See list of resolutions under “Votes Approved by Working Groups”

4.3   Sponsors

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.4   Marketing

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.5   Jobs

  • Of the 425 Job submissions created in January 2023:
    • 126 have status approved
    • 9 have status archived
    • 10 have status draft
    • 148 have status expired
    • 76 have status rejected
    • 44 have status removed
    • 12 have status review

4.6   Trademarks

  • Nothing to report

4.7   Fellows

  • Nothing to report

4.8   Packaging

  • Nothing to report

4.9   Infrastructure

  • Nothing to report

4.10   Scientific Python

  • Nothing to report

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Grants

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $650 USD to PyCamp Spain 2023 taking place April 7th to 10th, 2023 in Girona, Spain.

Approved; 9-0-0, 2022-12-14

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $500 USD to the AfroPython meetup at Northeast of Brazil that took place on November 19, 2022, in Bahia, Brazil.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2023-01-03

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $500 USD to the DELSU Tech Invasion 1.0 event taking place January 28, 2023, in Delta, Nigeria.

Approved; 9-0-0, 2023-01-03

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Grants Work Group grant $5,250 USD to the PyCon PH conference taking place February 25-26, 2023 in Manilla, Philippines.

Approved; 7-0-0, 2023-01-06

6.2   Sponsors

  • None at this time.

6.3   Scientific Python

  • None at this time.

8   New Business

  • The PSF discussed the PyCon Namibia 2023 grant submission and voted on the following resolution:

    RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Board grant $2,000 USD to the PyCon Namibia 2023 conference happening February 21-23, 2023 in Windhoek, Namibia.

    Approved; 11-0-0, 2023-01-18

9   Discussions

  • The board discussed creating a PSF policy for the acceptance or disproval of cryptocurrency and web3 sponsors of the PSF.
  • The board discussed the PyCon US 2023 budget and moved to vote on the approval via email.
  • The board discussed the capacity of the PSF Grants Working Group and increasing the participation of board members in this Working Group.
  • The board revisited the discussion of the "Principles for Safer Developer Ecosystems" and will be asking the Steering Council for feedback.
  • The board discussed meeting at the PyCon US 2023 conference.

Meeting adjourned at 18:38 UTC