PSF Meeting Minutes for June 10, 2003

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

June 10, 2003

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation (the "PSF") Board of Directors was held over Internet Relay Chat at 17:00 GMT. Guido van Rossum, president of the Foundation and chairman of the Board, presided at the meeting.

1. Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors were present at the meeting: David Ascher, Guido van Rossum, Marc-Andre Lemburg, Martin von Löwis, Tim Peters, Jeremy Hylton. Thomas Wouters was absent. A quorum was present. Neal Norwitz also participated in the meeting.

2. Meeting minutes of past IRC meetings

Guido moved to approve the minutes of May 2003. Motion passes with 4 ayes and 2 abstentions.

3. Hosting Python development

Martin Dalum from SunSITE offered free hosting of Python development at their new site http://dotsrc.org. Martin von Löwis reported on subsequent discussion with Dalum: Services offered are ssh-based CVS access, backups, and developer access to the CVS machine. Dalum also expressed interest in a Roundup installation.

After some discussion, the board agreed that it should be responsible for deciding whether to accept the offer. Von Löwis agreed to draft a migration strategy and come back to the board when it is complete.

4. Federal tax return

Norwitz reported that we failed to file a federal tax return, IRS Form 990, by the May 15 deadline. There is a $20/day late fee. We are not required to file a tax return, but we can choose to file one. Next year, we will be required to file because of the amount of revenue from PyCon. Last year, we filed the return late, because we wanted to have a return on file when we submitted our application for charity status.

The board recommended that Norwitz prepare a return and make it available from python.org but not file it with the IRS.

5. Spending money

Norwitz reported that we have more than $22,000 in the bank. He and Hylton asked whether the PSF should start spending some of the money. There was brief discussion of the question. Van Rossum suggested that we not spend any money until legal issues have been settled.

5. Legal issues

Lemburg agreed to send email to Cristin A. Conley at Carlton Field to ask for review of the contribor agreements. He has a specific list of questions to ask.

Van Rossum reported that Doug McDonald from Carlton Fields will review the agreement with CNRI to transfer the python.org domain.

6. Adjournment

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

Notice: While Javascript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn Javascript on for the full experience.