PSF Meeting Minutes for Nov. 9, 2004

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

November 9, 2004

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation (the "PSF") Board of Directors was held over Internet Relay Chat at 18:00 GMT. Stephan Deibel presided at the meeting.

1. Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors were present at the meeting: Jeremy Hylton, Stephan Deibel, David Ascher, Tim Peters, Martin v. Löwis. Steve Holden joined later. Neal Norwitz was also present. Martin was taking minutes.

2. Meeting minutes of past IRC meetings

The October minutes where approved with 4/0/1.

3.Usage of Python License

Stephan reported that 118 projects on SourceForge use the Python license, which might be legally confusing. He volunteered to write an FAQ about using the Python license in other projects, and suggested to contact the more prominent projects directly.

4. Contrib forms

Martin reported about the discussions with Larry Rosen about the contributor forms. The open issue was the list of initial licenses, for which the patent licensing was of primary concern. If we would require a patent grant from the contributors, a number of common licenses would be ruled out. Tim proposed that we only offer contributors such licenses, and wait for somebody to complain. Stephan was in favor of requiring a patent license for patents the contributor holds, but opposed to requiring contributors to claim that there are no patents on their contribution. Martin explained that, as a result of that, only the Apache License, and the Academic Free License are real candidates for an initial license. He suggested that contributors might be surprised that they cannot contribute under the Python License, and proposed that this should be explained to contributors.Martin will circulate a draft motion to adopt the forms to the PSF members

5. Grants Committee

Martin reported that Jeremy located 3 more proposals that had mistakenly been ignored, they were now also being reviewed. One issue that the committee needed board help with is the proposal by Tim Parkins, to design a Python promotion website. Jeremy suggested that this should be dealt with in the public relations committee, and that we should avoid giving the impression of insider funding.

Stephan asked how board members would like to proceed with this question. Martin commented he would like to see the project executed either way: through the grants process, or explicit board decision. Jeremy said he would like to see the PRC propose the project. Tim Peters commented that Tim Parkins should not be considered an insider. Also, if the grants committee funded it, it should also control it.

Steve Holden joined the discussion. He reported that he proposed Tim Parkins to submit the grants proposal, and did not really consider the PRC to directly apply for funding for this activity. Tim Peters said that if the work is really about redesigning pydotorg, it should be a PRC project. Steve will talk to Tim Parkins about the issue, and propose a motion to run this within the PRC (or a new committee replacing the PRC).

6. Python Support Committee

Stephan reported that the PSC is dormant until there is need for funding. Neal reported that our current public support ratio is 54.5%. Jeremy asked whether the PSC could find funding for specific projects if there was a need; Stephan answered that he believed this to be the case, and that he was able to raise funding for the docutils sprint easily.

7. Adjournment

Their being no further business, Stephan adjourned the meeting at 19:01.

Notice: While Javascript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn Javascript on for the full experience.