Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for Aug. 26, 2020

Subscribe via RSS

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

August 26, 2020

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 22:00 UTC (GMT/Zulu), on August 26, 2020. Betsy Waliszewski took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (12 of 13) were present at the meeting: Lorena Mesa, Jannis Leidel, Katie McLaughlin, Marlene Mhangami, Anna Ossowski, Jeff Triplett, Christopher Neugebauer, Nina Zakharenko, Thomas Wouters, Dustin Ingram, Van Lindberg, and Ewa Jodlowska.

Betsy Waliszewski (Event Planner and Administrator), Jackie Augustine (PyCon Manager), Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), Ernest W. Durbin III, and Laura Graves (Financial Analyst) were also in attendance.

2   Resolutions

Minutes from prior meetings: July 29, 2020:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the July 29, 2020 meeting.

Approved 11-0-1

3   Board and Staff Monthly Reports (August)

3.1   Ewa Jodlowska

July 21 - August 21 Report

  • PyCon

    • Attended weekly meeting for meeting planners
    • Attended Board PyCon Committee meeting
    • Continued to help review staff’s work related to PyCon
    • Attended a virtual platform meeting with AV team
    • Introduced team to DrupalCon team and attended a meeting
  • PSF

    • Attended PSF Funding Work Group meeting, worked with Funding WG member on CZI application
    • Working with Hidden Genius Curriculum Director and community educator to come up with a plan for supporting a complete introduction of Python into HG’s curriculum.
    • Worked on documenting how the grants form needs to be updated and worked on updating CiviCRM and Drupal Webform to reflect these changes
    • Attended meeting to discuss future partnerships between PSF and WWC
    • Attended weekly FOSS meetings
    • Attended two Code of Conduct Work Group meetings to assist with minutes and agenda
    • Monthly personal goal review
    • Monthly meeting with chairperson
    • Continue to attend weekly Steering Council meetings and help take notes. Continue to move GitHub migration plan forward by working with the contractor on finalizing their contract with the PSF. I continue to review necessary Discourse discussions.
    • Helping GitHub sponsor process move forward
    • Supporting two core developers with the planning of the October virtual core dev sprint, created a prospectus for this event
    • Reviewed quarterly financials, attended finance committee meeting, reviewed vendor policy created by accounting
    • Continue to moderate several mailing lists
    • Continue to help review contracts, documents and other drafts written by staff
    • Continue to log the fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
    • Continue to answer general PSF email
    • Continue to participate in board discussions
    • Continue to review time sheets
    • Continue to meet with Event Coordinator, Event Manager, Finance Controller, and IT Director regularly on calls and regular communication via Slack.

3.2   Jackie Augustine


  • Work on initial draft designs and concept for PyCon 2021
  • identified 6mos goal and participated in staff goal meeting
  • Planned and participated in PyCon US Committee meeting
  • Outlined updates and additions to admin for sponsorships
  • Began drafting launch page content
  • Continued work with CFP Committees in preparation for launch
  • Continued research of virtual components options
  • Assisted with planning and participated in 1:1 calls with sponsors
  • Attended online events for continued education on hybrid and virtual events
  • Participated in call with event planners of DrupalCon event to hear of their experiences
  • Weekly individual calls with team and weekly meeting planning call

3.3   Betsy Waliszewski

  • PyCon
    • Attended weekly meeting for meeting planners
    • Attended weekly meeting with PyCon manager
    • Attended PyCon Committee meeting
    • Attended a meeting with the DrupalCon team to discuss best practices for virtual conferences
    • Conducted follow up meetings with PyCon sponsors to discuss 2021 participation
    • Worked on addendum to statement of work
    • Worked on updates to the 2021 sponsor pages
    • Worked on timeline to release prospectus and other sponsor communications
    • Helped with social media planning
    • Watched webinars and did research on event and sponsorship best practices.
  • PSF
    • Sent 2021 prospectus to sponsor work group for feedback
    • Managed new sponsor applications with the sponsor work group.
    • Worked with sponsor work group to add item to the charter regarding new members.
    • Added new member to the sponsor work group
    • Continued to help manage the Jobs, Marketing, and Sponsor working groups.
    • Logged in contributor agreements.
    • Continue to respond to general PSF email.
    • Weekly 1:1 with Executive Director.
    • Continued routine tasks of keeping records up-to-date.
    • Managed community mailing list subscriptions.
    • Continued taking notes at board meetings, posting minutes and approved resolutions, as well as recording self-certifications.
    • Continued to manage social media presence through Sprout Social.
    • Helped out with job board submissions.

3.4   Ernest W. Durbin III

  • CiviCRM research and support for grants relaunch and new hosting
  • Supported Travis-CI org->com migration for all python, psf, and pypa repositories
  • Collaboration with buildbot team to upgrade and migrate to new hosting
  • PyCon US regular meetings with Jackie, Preparation for site-launch
  • Job posting for Django contractor to support and development
  • Began research on potential paid features for PyPI

3.5   Phyllis Dobbs

  • Payroll & Human Resources
    • Complete implemention of payroll system including staff data confirmation and tax compliance. Begin adding local/state/federal posters and insurance documents for staff.
    • Complete annual workers compensation insurance audits for OH and other states.
  • Systems & Documentation
    • Suspend A/P system implementation due to issue with internal controls and user permissions. Work with accounting team to review additional systems that better suit the PSF's needs.
    • Work with Ewa and attorneys to begin contract training/template project for PSF staff, including reviewing sponsor contract templates.
    • Write vendor policies refernces page for PSF site to provide answer to common questions including required documentation and tax implications depending on vendor residency.
    • Work with rest of staff to review/udpated revised grants application workflows in CiviCRM
    • Work with accounting team to review several task management systems and begin implementation for month-end close and charitable solicitation.
  • Banking & Credit Cards
    • Begin signatory change on PNC to add rest of accounting staff.
  • Fundraising
    • Research and recommend process for education/training partnership fundraising plan with Betsy and accounting team.
    • Work with Laura on IL/CA charitable solicitation registration process.
  • Finance Committee
    • Prepare for and publish repots for Q2 2020 Finance Committee meeting.

3.6   Joe Carey

  • Donations
    • Split donations database to have deduped donor table
    • Updated honor roll generator to reference donor table 'anonymous' flag, eliminating the need to manually anonymize
    • Worked on linking donor table of donations database to CiviCRM and QuickBooks
    • Moderated psf-donations mailing list
    • Maintained acknowledgement system
    • Produced bespoke donation reports to support fundraising campaigns
  • Memberships
    • Researched auto-renew functions in CiviCRM
  • Sponsorships
    • Created, sent, and updated sponsorship invoices as needed
    • Researched tax treatment of cause-related marketing and met with staff on same
  • Financial Reporting
    • Applied donation and sponsorship payments in QBO
    • Reconciled donation records between QuickBooks and Donations Database
    • Reconciled PayPal account
    • Recorded PSF sponsorship revenue in accordance with GAAP
    • Reconciled Deferred Revenue accounts
    • Review AR Aging and update bad debt reserve
  • Accounting Systems
    • Attended demos of expense management systems
    • Discussed expense management systems with accounting team
    • Reviewed project management systems with accounting team
  • Other
    • Attended staff goals meeting
    • Held periodic 1:1's with Controller
    • Responded to various emails on psf-donations and accounting

3.7   Laura Graves

  • Ongoing accounts payable responsibilities
  • Worked on updates to SAM profile
  • Assisted in creating budgets for fiscal sponsorees
  • Administration for Finance Committee
  • Reviewed new AP Systems
  • Research on Charitable Solicitation Registrations
  • Research on cause related marketing/ advertising

3.8   Lorena Mesa

  • PSF: Continue Director 1:1s
  • PSF: 1:1 with Ewa to prepare monthly agenda
  • PSF: Met with Code of Conduct workgroup including handling outreach for new members and standard business
  • PSF: Attended quarterly Financial Committee meeting
  • PyLadies: Kick off Global Council elections
  • PyLadies: Start "Meet PyLadies" YouTube interview series in English and Spanish
  • PSF/PyLadies: Python Mexico August 2020 meeting reviewing PSF & PyLadies Global Council
  • Outreach: Keynote PyCon Africa including spotlight on PSF

3.9   Kushal Das

No report submitted.

3.10   Jannis Leidel

  • PSF: The usual PSF comms work.
  • PSF: Communications Co-Chair: Very little
  • PSF: Attended quarterly Financial Committee meeting (first)
  • Jazzband: Regular maintenance and communication as Jazzband roadie
  • Jazzband: Ongoing planning for next phase Jazzband (sponsorship, automation)
  • Mozilla: Weekly meeting with GSoC student for porting Firefox build system to Python 3

3.11   Katie McLaughlin

  • PSF: Communications Co-Chair: CSA Q2 blog article allocation
  • PyConline AU: Sponsor Liaison - ongoing work and fundraising
  • PyConline AU: Producer - systems training
  • PyConline AU: Speaker Mentoring - presentation review and feedback
  • DjangoCon AU: Co-Organiser - schedule publication, marketing
  • Outreach: SheCodes, Plus Brisbane cohort - Django mentor.

3.12   Marlene Mhangami

  • PSF: Began Discussion on PSF Diversity and Inclusion Work Group
  • PSF: Attended Funding Work Group Meeting
  • PSF: Reviewed and gave feedback on Fundraising Committee initiatives
  • PSF: Participated in email, Slack and chat discussions
  • Outreach: Chaired and helped organise PyCon Africa 2020 online
  • Outreach: Interview with MentorshipZim where I highlighted PSF membership

3.13   Dustin Ingram

  • PSF: Finance Committee - meeting, review 2019 financials
  • PSF: Fundraising Committee - reviewsed ,
  • PSF: Election Reform - on pause while a D&I work group is started
  • Project Funding WG: Reviewed past grants, resources for projects
  • Packaging WG: No updates
  • PyPA: Evaluation of paid feature proposals for PyPI
  • PyPA: Ongoing progress for PEP 609 (
  • PyPA: Started a discussion about making the PYpA a fiscal sponsoree of the PSF
  • PyPA: Continued maintenance and maintainership of projects including PyPI
  • Outreach: Will be representing the PSF at Russian Python Week panel with Carol Willing

3.14   Jeff Triplett

  • PSF - PyCon US Committee meeting and discussions.
  • PSF - Participated in email, Slack, and chat discussions.
  • PSF - Conduct WG bi-weekly meetings and discussions.
  • PSF - Finance Committee - had our first meeting, discussed finances, and the search for a co-chair(s).
  • Outreach - Helped a few more community members find new Python/Django jobs and shared a few job leads with another.
  • DEFNA - No August meeting, but I participated in email, Slack, and chat discussions.
  • DSF - I participated in email, Slack, and chat discussions. Primarily centered on getting the website updated with new ways to financially support the DSF.
  • Misc - Sick for two weeks so less than normal.

3.15   Anna Ossowska

  • Read PSF emails
  • Volunteered to be Finance Committee Co-Chair

3.16   Thomas Wouters

  • PSF - Participated in PyCon committee, board mailing list.
  • Steering Council - Participated in weekly SC meetings and PEP review.
  • Proposed fiscal sponsorship to pybind11 maintainers.
  • Proposed Core Dev Sprint sponsorship internally at work.

3.17   Christopher Neugebauer

  • Participated in PyCon Committee
  • Participated in PSF mailing lists

3.18   Nina Zakharenko

  • PyCascades Remote 2021 (co-chair): several planning meetings with co-chair Seb Vetter
  • PyCascades Remote 2021 (co-chair): filling roles for additional chairs, organizing volunteers
  • Met with Lorena Mesa to discuss PSF responsibilities. I plan to work on a report of online conference organizing platforms over the next 2-3 months
  • Read PSF emails

4   Work Group Reports

4.2   Sponsors

  • Approved new sponsor at the iron level.
  • Added new member to the work group.
  • Sent 2021 prospectus to group for feedback
  • Worked with group to add item to the charter regarding new members.

4.3   Marketing

Continued to work on the Q4 fundraising campaign, requesting feedback from the group.

4.4   Jobs

Nothing new to report at this time.

4.5   Trademarks

The usual round of TM requests was processed. There were no special requests or reported TM cases. A call for volunteers was put out to the community, resulting in the addition of several new members.

4.6   Fellows

  • Recorded Q3 Fellow nominations and responded to emails.

4.8   Infrastructure

  • Final credits supplied from current Digital Ocean sponsorship, planning for renewal
  • migrated to new hosting
  • Assess final services hosted in OSUOSL

4.9   Scientific Python

  • We would like to concentrate on giving out developer grants once the grants program is relaunched. At that time we'll begin taking concrete steps.

4.10   Funding Work Group

  • Completed and submitted CZI grant application for CPython support

  • Held second WG meeting. At the meeting, the WG:
    • Reviewed how the CZI application process went and lessons learned
    • Discussed how the WG can support BeeWare
    • Reviewed upcoming talks WG members are giving about what the WG does
    • Discussed how grant writing will align with the PSF's strategic goals, also reviewed short term strategic goals
    • Discussed how the WG can assist small projects
    • Decided to meet every other month going forward

5   Votes Approved by Email

None at this time.

6   Votes Approved by Working Groups

6.1   Sponsors

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation Sponsor Working Group approve the sponsor application from at the Iron Level.

Approved 5-0-0, August 10, 2020

8   New Business

  • Approved the following resolution:
  • RESOLVED: The license for code included within the Python documentation is changed to Zero-Clause BSD / Free Public License 1.0.0 (0BSD), effective as of the date of this resolution.

Approved 12-0-0 August 26, 2020

9   Discussions

  • The board & staff gave reports on active work groups and PyCon.
  • The board reviewed Community Leadership Council and next steps. It was decided that certain board members + the Diversity and Inclusion WG will work on proposals for the entire board to review in November.These proposals will detail what the Community Leadership Council program will look like, resources it will need, and how it will compliment the Diversity and Inclusion WG.
  • Community Update on PSF Reform work: once the Diversity and Inclusion Work group is created, the members will work on a draft blog updating the community on the WG itself, feedback the PSF received, and other work being done on this subject.
  • The board discussed projects each director is focused on for the foreseeable future.

10   Meeting Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 22:01 UTC (GMT/Zulu).