Notice: While JavaScript is not essential for this website, your interaction with the content will be limited. Please turn JavaScript on for the full experience.

PSF Meeting Minutes for June 30, 2020

Subscribe via RSS

Title: 2020-06-30 PSF Board Meeting Minutes Encoding: utf-8 Author: psf at Content-Type: text/x-rst

The Python Software Foundation
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors

June 30, 2020

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of Directors was held over Group Conference Call via phone and Internet Relay Chat/Slack beginning at 13:00 UTC (GMT/Zulu), on June 30, 2020. Betsy Waliszewski took notes/minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "Y-N-A" (in favor-Y‚opposed-N‚abstentions-A; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions").

1   Attendance

The following members of the Board of Directors (13 of 13) were present at the meeting: Lorena Mesa, Jannis Leidel, Katie McLaughlin, Marlene Mhangami, Anna Ossowski, Jeff Triplett, Van Lindberg, Christopher Neugebauer, Kushal Das, Nina Zakharenko, Thomas Wouters, Dustin Ingram, and Ewa Jodlowska. Naomi Ceder was also in attendance as the outgoing Board Chairperson.

Ernest W. Durbin III (Director of Infrastructure), Betsy Waliszewski (Event Planner and Administrator), Jackie Augustine (PyCon Manager), Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Joe Carey (Accounting Manager), and Laura Graves (Financial Analyst) were also in attendance.

2   Resolutions

Minutes from prior meetings: May 19, 2020:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the minutes at as representing a true and accurate record of the May 19, 2020 meeting.

Approved 9-0-3

2.2   Ewa Jodlowska

May 19-June 22 Report

  • PyCon

    • Attended weekly meeting for meeting planners
    • Continued to help review staff’s work related to PyCon
    • Held meeting with Visit Pittsburgh about 2021 and began working on risk mitigations for 2021
    • Attended a meeting with Event Manager for 2021 discussion with the David L Lawrence convention center and VisitPittsburgh. Beginning to mitigate risks for space and food and beverage commitment.
    • Attending webinars, reading reviews, and helping to test out platforms that may come in hand for 2021
  • PSF

    • Attended first PSF Funding Work Group meeting
    • Working on updating the on-boarding documents for new board members
    • Working on getting Python setup for GitHub Sponsors
    • Working with Hidden Genius on ways the PSF can help support their mission
    • Attended a meeting with CMD-IT’s Executive Director and a Board Member
    • Assisted with several election items, communications, and helped gather voter lists and document the process for the future. Working with the staff on membership data improvements.
    • Working on a community tool box that will eventually be a proposal for the Grants WG and board
    • Represented the PSF at the UPLIFT event May 22 to help raise funds, working on getting the PSF on Open Collective so we can receive our donations from UPLIFT
    • Participated in Code & Test podcast with a PSF Board Member about the 2020 Board Elections
    • Put together and published May PSF newsletter.
    • Attending weekly FOSS meetings
    • Monthly meeting with board Chairperson
    • Monthly personal goal review
    • Continue to attend weekly Steering Council meetings and help take notes. Continue to move GitHub migration plan forward by reviewing then selecting the Work Group members and reviewing and selecting the GitHub Migration Python Project Manager. I continue to review necessary Discourse discussions.
    • Continue to moderate several mailing lists
    • Continue to help review contracts, documents and other drafts written by staff
    • Continue to log the fellow member nominations, run quarterly votes, update Fellows page on pydotorg, update CiviCRM with new Fellow members, notify new members, write blogs for new members
    • Continue to answer general PSF email
    • Continue to participate in board discussions
    • Continue to review time sheets
    • Continue to meet with Event Coordinator, Event Manager, Finance Controller, and IT Director regularly on calls and regular communication via Slack.

2.3   Jackie Augustine

  • PyCon 2020
  • Planned and participated in PyCon US Committee meeting
  • Sent final participant email with survey for 2020 online and 2021 planning
  • Worked on finalizing budget
  • PyCon 2021
  • Participated in 3-day online event planner conference and webinars for planning online events
  • Continued work on addendums with hotels for PyCon 2021
  • Call with convention center to discuss 2021 status and addendums
  • Began work on timeline
  • Assisted with Sponsor Town Hall content and agenda
  • Scheduled and participated in zoom meetings for Sponsor Town Halls
  • Worked on initial expo hall floor plan options
  • Began discussions on website design
  • Worked on outline for conference plan
  • Worked on budget
  • Continued research on options for virtual components
  • Worked with vendors on contracts rolled over from PyCon 2020
  • Began working with program, tutorial, poster committees for CFP updates and timeline
  • Research project management platforms, worked on asana site to determine functions for PM
  • Weekly team call and executive director call
  • Call with director of infrastructure and conference chair to discuss timelines

2.4   Betsy Waliszewski


  • Continued to work on the sponsor prospectus for 2021.
  • Worked on new floor plan for 2021.
  • Continue to research digital activation ideas for sponsorships.
  • Set up 2 Sponsor Town Hall meetings in June to get feedback on future event planning.
  • Created Sponsor Town Hall content and agenda.
  • Attended weekly meeting for meeting planners.
  • Watched webinars and did research on event and sponsorship best practices.
  • Attended PyCon US committee meeting.
  • Sent sponsor email with survey for 2020 online and 2021 planning.
  • Participated in UPLIFT! by FOSS Responders.
  • Worked on new plan for social media.
  • Worked on a Corporate Matching Gifts sponsorship project.
  • Created and implemented a new direct response email fundraising campaign.
  • Continued to help manage the Jobs, Marketing, and Sponsor working groups.
  • Logged in contributor agreements.
  • Continue to respond to general PSF email.
  • Weekly 1:1 with Executive Director.
  • Continued routine tasks of keeping records up-to-date.
  • Managed community mailing list subscriptions.
  • Continued taking notes at board meetings, posting minutes and approved resolutions, as well as recording self-certifications.
  • Managed new sponsor applications with the sponsor work group.
  • Continued to manage social media presence through Sprout Social.
  • Helped out with job board submissions.

2.5   Ernest W. Durbin III

  • Board of Directors Election Administration including voter support, researching missing/misdelivered ballots, and analyzing disenfranchisement of voters. Blog post coming soon, including next steps by PSF to better understand demographics and participation of the Python community in our membership and voting.
  • PyCon 2021 website work planning has commenced.
  • General PyPI and PSF Infrastructure support, troubleshooting, and improvements.
  • Beginning networking and collaboration with CiviCRM community including OSI and FSF to determine how we can improve what we have in light of lack of funds for a CRM migration.

2.6   Phyllis Dobbs

  • Payroll & Human Resources
    • Implement/transition payroll system to Zenefits from Paychex & plan future module implementation for PTO module, state-by-state employee documents, and adding insurance documents and employee handbook into system.
    • Training on COVID-19 updates from EEOC, ADA, CA state, etc and update PSF documents as needed.
    • Review health/dental insurance renewal paperwork and begin work on annual worker's compensation audit
  • Accounting Systems & Documentation
    • Work with Laura & Joe to complete detailed cleanup and organization of general ledger system along with adding chart of account numbers.
    • Work with Laura & Joe to complete Web Expenses implementation documents.
    • Work with Laura & Joe on Contracts & contractor reference page for
    • Begin project to further document in-kind contributions/sponsorships to be reviewed by non-profit law firm.
  • Banking & Credit Cards
    • Accounting staff completed training on PNC Bank systems, which offer improved internal controls and fraud protection at a lower cost.
    • Finished application for PNC points-bearing card; plan to move PSF employees to PNC bank credit cards away from PEX within the next few months.
    • PSF will continue holding accounts with Bank of American, Fifth Third, and SunTrust to support future PyCons that move around the country.
    • PSF qualifies for PPP Loan Forgiveness EZ form and should have entire loan forgiven except for the EIDL grant. Awaiting PNC to open the loan forgiveness app portal.
    • Review and propose SBA EIDL loan opportunity to Finance Commitee.
  • PyCon 2021
    • Completed initial review of timeline with Jackie and update of financial aid documents/improvement requests/priorities.

2.7   Joe Carey

  • Record PyCon Sponsorship revenue in accordance with GAAP (including donations and refunds)
  • Created and sent Adobe Sign forms for PyCon Staff Gift Letters
  • Record PSF sponsorship revenue in accordance with GAAP
  • Filed Washington State sales tax return for PyCascades 2019
  • Reconciled donation records between QuickBooks and Donations Database
  • Moderated psf-donations mailing list
  • Maintain acknowledgement system
  • Significant progress toward retiring legacy acknowledgement system
  • Applied donation and sponsorship payments in QBO

2.8   Laura Graves

  • Numbering chart of accounts
  • Cleaning up books for year-end
  • Preparing schedules for 990
  • Updating Guidestar Profile
  • Conduct detailed review and cleanup of GL
  • Work with Phyllis & Joe to complete Web Expenses implementation documents
  • Work with Phyllis & Joe on Contracts & contractor reference page for
  • Completed training on PNC Bank systems, which offer improved internal controls and fraud protection at a lower cost
  • Completed PyCon staff and tutorial offer letters and payments

2.9   Lorena Mesa

  • PSF - Promoted PSF election online and participated in PSF YouTube election talk with Ewa and Marlene
  • PSF - Met with PSF board members, organized by Marlene, to discuss the role of advocacy and PSF
  • PSF - Penned letters for threads on PSF board election reform and co-authoring advocacy and PSF thread with Marlene for
  • PSF - Participated in PSF Slack discussions and attended bimonthly meeting
  • PSF - Attended and executed PSF Conduct WG duties biweekly meetings and discussions
  • PSF - Reviewing PSF Grants re-opening guidelines Ewa created as Grants program is paused due to COVID19
  • PyLadies Global - Continued ongoing work with PyLades global, specifically we ran an online hack to work on our tech debt as well as setting up for the forthcoming PyLadies Global elections that have been postponed until August

2.10   Kushal Das

No report submitted.

2.11   Jackie Kazil

No report submitted.

2.12   Eric Holscher

  • Normal PSF work of answering emails and conversations
  • Created the Project Funding WG
  • Promoted the PSF election on twitter

2.13   Jannis Leidel

No report submitted.

2.14   Van Lindberg

No report submitted.

2.15   Marlene Mhangami

  • Attended inaugural PSF Project Funding WG meeting
  • Created an 'Advocacy Resource List' for directors to help clarify the PSF's advocacy role in relation to its mission, and help directors become more empathetic advocates on behalf of our global community.
  • Volunteered to speak at the Hidden Genius virtual event on behalf of the PSF
  • Continued working with PSF blogging team to publish content for the PSF blog
  • Continued to chair Pycon Africa

2.16   Jeff Triplett

  • PSF - Promoted PSF election online.
  • PSF - Ran and was re-elected for a three-year term.
  • PSF - Participated in email, Slack, and chat discussions
  • PSF - PSF Conduct WG duties (bi-weekly virtual meetings) and discussions
  • PSF - Discussed sponsorship options and a potential new business plan.
  • PSF - Attended initial board Advocacy meeting and discussion
  • PSF - Attended PyCon US Board Committee meeting, discussions, and sponsorship feedback
  • DEFNA - Presided over June meeting, planning, legal, and other prep for DjangoCon US 2020
  • DEFNA - Announced cancellation of DjangoCon US 2020 and announced dates for DjangoCon US 2021.
  • DSF and DEFNA made a recommendation to show our solidarity in support of our Black community members.
  • DSF CoC WG - participated in email discussions.
  • Outreach - Appeared on a podcast to discuss the Python and Django communities.
  • Outreach - Co-hosted monthly Python organizers hangout
  • Outreach - Met with several community members to discuss random topics from mentorship, vets who code (, coding topics, general business, and life skills.
  • Outreach - Helped two community members find new Python/Django jobs and passed along information for a few more.
  • Outreach - Wrote a letter of recommendation for a community member who requested it.

2.17   Anna Ossowski

  • Participated in board discussions via Slack and email
  • Brainstorm with Jeff and Lorena on how we can diversify the PSF voter base

2.18   Christopher Neugebauer

  • Attended PyCon US Board Committee meeting, and provided feedback on survey text for attendees and sponsors
  • Worked on adapting DSF racial justice statement for PSF use
  • Participated in initial Board discussion around advocacy
  • Participated in first Director onboarding meeting

2.19   Katie McLaughlin

  • Ongoing work for PyConline AU 2020 (Sponsor Liaison)
  • Mentor for She Codes Flash (Geraldton), Python day.
  • Attendee at Python Adelaide-hosted Sydney/Melbourne/Canberra meetup
  • Attendee at Seattle PyLadies "What We Love About Python: A PyLadies Panel Discussion" meetup
  • Attendee at monthly Python organisers hangout.

3   Votes Approved Via Email

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the 2020 Q1 Community Service Award to Manuel Kaufmann for the amazing efforts Manuel put towards Python outreach and education in the Latin American Python communities and most recently in the Spanish Python communities. Most recently, Manuel helped organize efforts to translate Python material to Spanish.

Approved June 8, 2020, 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation award the 2020 Q1 Community Service Award to Abigail Dogbe in recognition of her efforts with leading the PyLadies Ghana community, helping organize PyCon Africa, and volunteering for PyLadies global and PyCon US.

Approved June 8, 2020, 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation approve the creation of the PSF Project Funding Working Group to research and advise the Python community on applying for external grants and similar funding to advance the mission of the PSF under the charter at

Approved June 11, 2020, 13-0-0

4   Work Group Reports

4.1   Sponsors

Resigned one gold level sponsor and approved one platinum level sponsor.

4.2   Marketing

Working on end of the year fundraiser.

4.3   Jobs

Nothing to report at this time.

4.4   Trademarks

No report submitted.

4.5   Fellows

Work Group is almost done voting in Q2 Fellow members. After the vote is finished the WG Chairperson will be reaching out to new members and putting together a blog announcement.

4.6   Packaging

  • PEP 458 (Package upload signing) Implementation for PyPI work via Facebook gift is continuing, though currently awaiting updates from upstream (TUF/securesystemslib). VMWare has been contributing developer time to the effort as well and is also planning to contribute to the client side implementation in pip.
  • pip resolver and UX work funded by CZI/MOSS is ongoing.
  • PyPI sponsorship program has not had any applicants yet, and is currently under review/discussion by board.
  • Not directly related to Packaging WG, but the Python Packaging Authority governance PEP 609 has been progressing and should help to coordinate cooperation between Packaging-WG and PyPA.

4.7   Infrastructure

  • Jython, the last tenant of has moved version control to GitHub. will be slated for archiving soon!
  • Automated status page updates and paging has been retooled to ensure better communication and more reliable response too outages.

4.8   Scientific Python

Nothing to report at this time.

4.9   Funding Work Group

  • Charter was approved by the board:

  • Ewa and Marlene are the Board Liaisons for the WG

  • June 18th the WG had a kick off meeting
    • Discussed how initially the WG will help create resources for others to use to write grant requests
    • Discussed how the WG is to prioritize work load and to take into consideration PSF staff availability
    • Discussed CPython support. Steering Council is working on a list of priorities and will share publicly next week
    • Discussed aligning support with PSF's mission.
    • WG is working on a blog to publish. After that it will work on promotion. In the meantime, the WG is working on updating the list of existing/potential funders, funding areas outside of “writing code”.

5   Votes Approved by Working Groups

Below are resolutions approved by the various PSF Working Groups since the May 19, 2020 board meeting:

5.1   Grants

None at this time.

5.2   Scientific Python

None at this time.

5.3   Sponsors

None at this time.

7   New Business

  • Approved new board
  • Voted on officer positions:

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Guido van Rossum as President for the 2020/2021 term.

Approved 12-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Lorena Mesa as Chair for the 2020/2021 term.

Approved 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Thomas Wouters as Vice Chair Elect for the 2020/2021 term.

Approved 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Marlene Mhangami and Chris Neugebauer as Vice-Chair(s) for the 2020/2021 term.

Approved 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Jeff Triplett as Treasurer for the 2020/2021 term.

Approved 12-0-1

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Van Lindberg as General Counsel for the 2020/2021 term.

Approved 11-0-2

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Jannis Leidel and Katie McLaughlin as Communication Chairs for the 2020/2021 term.

Approved 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Ewa Jodlowska as Secretary for the 2020/2021 term.

Approved 12-0-1

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Betsy Waliszewski as Assistant Secretary for the 2020/2021 term.

Approved 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Jackie Augustine and Betsy Waliszewski as the Event Coordinators for PyCon 2021.

Approved 13-0-0

RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation appoint Emily Morehouse-Valcarcel as PyCon US Chair for PyCon 2021.

Approved 13-0-0

8   Discussions

  • Membership of the Finance Committee was discussed and 2020/21 term members are: Jeff (Committee Chair), Dustin, Lorena, Jannis, Anna. Ewa and Phyllis are on the mailing list and Slack channel. Both report to the finance committee and are not voting members.
  • The board discussed the frequency of board meetings and times of meetings. It was decided board meetings would happen monthly going forward for one hour. The time will rotate possibly between two times. Ewa is collecting availability from directors.

9   Meeting Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 13:59 UTC (GMT/Zulu).