Release Date: June 30, 2020
This is the release candidate of the fourth maintenance release of Python 3.8
Note: The release you're looking at is Python 3.8.4rc1, a bugfix release for the legacy 3.8 series. Python 3.9 is now the latest feature release series of Python 3. Get the latest release of 3.9.x here.
Major new features of the 3.8 series, compared to 3.7
- PEP 572, Assignment expressions
- PEP 570, Positional-only arguments
- PEP 587, Python Initialization Configuration (improved embedding)
- PEP 590, Vectorcall: a fast calling protocol for CPython
- PEP 578, Runtime audit hooks
- PEP 574, Pickle protocol 5 with out-of-band data
- Typing-related: PEP 591 (Final qualifier), PEP 586 (Literal types), and PEP 589 (TypedDict)
- Parallel filesystem cache for compiled bytecode
- Debug builds share ABI as release builds
- f-strings support a handy
=specifier for debugging
continueis now legal in
- on Windows, the default
asyncioevent loop is now
- on macOS, the spawn start method is now used by default in
multiprocessingcan now use shared memory segments to avoid pickling costs between processes
typed_astis merged back to CPython
LOAD_GLOBALis now 40% faster
picklenow uses Protocol 4 by default, improving performance
There are many other interesting changes, please consult the "What's New" page in the documentation for a full list.
- Online Documentation
- PEP 569, 3.8 Release Schedule
- Report bugs at https://bugs.python.org.
- Help fund Python and its community.
- The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".)
- There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer will download the needed software components at installation time.
- There are redistributable zip files containing the Windows builds, making it easy to redistribute Python as part of another software package. Please see the documentation regarding Embedded Distribution for more information.
- For Python 3.8, we provide one installer: 64-bit-only that works on macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) and later systems.
- Please read the "Important Information" displayed during installation for information about SSL/TLS certificate validation and the running the "Install Certificates.command".
And now for something completely different
ARTHUR (Graham Chapman): Please, good people. I am in haste. Who lives in that castle?
WOMAN: No one lives there.
ARTHUR: Then who is your lord?
WOMAN: We don't have a lord.
DENNIS: I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.
DENNIS: But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting.
ARTHUR: Yes, I see.
DENNIS: By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs,--
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: --but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more--
ARTHUR: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
WOMAN: Order, eh -- who does he think he is?
ARTHUR: I am your king!
WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.
ARTHUR: You don't vote for kings.
WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king!
DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||2f969b647039d5033a6b4a386805b5da||24150105||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||176bb52bb03eb2b51059022c5f179e09||18012048||SIG|
|macOS 64-bit installer||Mac OS X||for OS X 10.9 and later||6918febde4a7e323d2c0a9c555455ed5||30232779||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||c29e1837ec7be22144d1774f7b9063b8||8530914||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||1bd4d5234503fb029031747726524382||8174259||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||c98f36f8c78b4b1ba1eb0bcf693b4eca||27877184||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||55d2098b6bde6585952fb67fb8ebd4fe||1364112||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||6955b01cff172ffff5cd3d8ebd37a6d9||7306399||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||65d002fb34c2e85bc4d4daa8e73bb4eb||26781528||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||04dd1388715a01c08769257a0e7df6fa||1328688||SIG|