Release Date: May 13, 2020
This is the third maintenance release of Python 3.8
The Python 3.8 series is the newest major release of the Python programming language, and it contains many new features and optimizations.
Major new features of the 3.8 series, compared to 3.7
- PEP 572, Assignment expressions
- PEP 570, Positional-only arguments
- PEP 587, Python Initialization Configuration (improved embedding)
- PEP 590, Vectorcall: a fast calling protocol for CPython
- PEP 578, Runtime audit hooks
- PEP 574, Pickle protocol 5 with out-of-band data
- Typing-related: PEP 591 (Final qualifier), PEP 586 (Literal types), and PEP 589 (TypedDict)
- Parallel filesystem cache for compiled bytecode
- Debug builds share ABI as release builds
- f-strings support a handy
=specifier for debugging
continueis now legal in
- on Windows, the default
asyncioevent loop is now
- on macOS, the spawn start method is now used by default in
multiprocessingcan now use shared memory segments to avoid pickling costs between processes
typed_astis merged back to CPython
LOAD_GLOBALis now 40% faster
picklenow uses Protocol 4 by default, improving performance
There are many other interesting changes, please consult the "What's New" page in the documentation for a full list.
- Online Documentation
- PEP 569, 3.8 Release Schedule
- Report bugs at https://bugs.python.org.
- Help fund Python and its community.
- The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".)
- There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer will download the needed software components at installation time.
- There are redistributable zip files containing the Windows builds, making it easy to redistribute Python as part of another software package. Please see the documentation regarding Embedded Distribution for more information.
- For Python 3.8, we provide one installer: 64-bit-only that works on macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) and later systems.
- Please read the "Important Information" displayed during installation for information about SSL/TLS certificate validation and the running the "Install Certificates.command".
And now for something completely different
Mr Anemone (Graham Chapman): Mr Chigger. So, you want to learn to fly?
Mr Chigger (Terry Jones): Yes.
Mr Anemone: Right, well, up on the table, arms out, fingers together, knees bent...
Mr Chigger: No, no, no.
Mr Anemone: (very loudly) UP ON THE TABLE! (Mr Chigger gets on the table) Arms out, fingers together, knees bent, now, head well forward. Now, flap your arms. Go on, flap, faster... faster... faster... faster, faster, faster, faster - now JUMP! (Mr Chigger jumps and lands on the floor) Rotten. You're no bloody use at all. You're an utter bloody wash-out. You make me sick, you weed!
Mr Chigger: Now look here...
Mr Anemone: All right, all right. I'll give you one more chance, get on the table...
Mr Chigger: Look, I came here to learn how to fly an aeroplane.
Mr Anemone: A what?
Mr Chigger: I came here to learn how to fly an aeroplane.
Mr Anemone: (sarcastically) Oh, 'an aeroplane'. Oh, I say, we are grand, aren't we? (imitation posh accent) 'Oh, oh, no more buttered scones for me, mater. I'm off to play the grand piano'. 'Pardon me while I fly my aeroplane.' NOW GET ON THE TABLE!
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||a7c10a2ac9d62de75a0ca5204e2e7d07||24067487||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||3000cf50aaa413052aef82fd2122ca78||17912964||SIG|
|macOS 64-bit installer||Mac OS X||for OS X 10.9 and later||dd5e7f64e255d21f8d407f39a7a41ba9||30119781||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||4aeeebd7cc8dd90d61e7cfdda9cb9422||8568303||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||c12ffe7f4c1b447241d5d2aedc9b5d01||8175801||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||fd2458fa0e9ead1dd9fbc2370a42853b||27805800||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||17e989d2fecf7f9f13cf987825b695c4||1364136||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||8ee09403ec0cc2e89d43b4a4f6d1521e||7330315||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||452373e2c467c14220efeb10f40c231f||26744744||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||fe72582bbca3dbe07451fd05ece1d752||1325800||SIG|