Release Date: Dec. 18, 2019
This is Python 3.8.1, the first maintenance release of Python 3.8
The Python 3.8 series is the newest major release of the Python programming language, and it contains many new features and optimizations.
Major new features of the 3.8 series, compared to 3.7
- PEP 572, Assignment expressions
- PEP 570, Positional-only arguments
- PEP 587, Python Initialization Configuration (improved embedding)
- PEP 590, Vectorcall: a fast calling protocol for CPython
- PEP 578, Runtime audit hooks
- PEP 574, Pickle protocol 5 with out-of-band data
- Typing-related: PEP 591 (Final qualifier), PEP 586 (Literal types), and PEP 589 (TypedDict)
- Parallel filesystem cache for compiled bytecode
- Debug builds share ABI as release builds
- f-strings support a handy
=specifier for debugging
continueis now legal in
- on Windows, the default
asyncioevent loop is now
- on macOS, the spawn start method is now used by default in
multiprocessingcan now use shared memory segments to avoid pickling costs between processes
typed_astis merged back to CPython
LOAD_GLOBALis now 40% faster
picklenow uses Protocol 4 by default, improving performance
There are many other interesting changes, please consult the "What's New" page in the documentation for a full list.
- Online Documentation
- PEP 569, 3.8 Release Schedule
- Report bugs at https://bugs.python.org.
- Help fund Python and its community.
- The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".)
- There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer will download the needed software components at installation time.
- There are redistributable zip files containing the Windows builds, making it easy to redistribute Python as part of another software package. Please see the documentation regarding Embedded Distribution for more information.
- For Python 3.8.0, we provide one installer: 64-bit-only that works on macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) and later systems.
- Please read the "Important Information" displayed during installation for information about SSL/TLS certificate validation and the running the "Install Certificates.command".
And now for something completely different
Hello, good evening, and welcome to 'It's A Living'. The rules are very simple: each week we get a large fee; at the end of that week we get another large fee; if there's been no interruption at the end of the year we get a repeat fee which can be added on for tax purposes to the previous year or the following year if there's no new series.
Every contestant, in addition to getting a large fee is entitled to three drinks at the BBC or if the show is over, seven drinks - unless he is an MP, in which case he can have seven drinks before the show, or a bishop only three drinks in toto. The winners will receive an additional fee, a prize which they can flog back and a special fee for a guest appearance on 'Late Night Line Up'. Well, those are the rules, that's the game, we'll be back again same time next week. Till then. Bye-bye.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||f215fa2f55a78de739c1787ec56b2bcd||23978360||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||b3fb85fd479c0bf950c626ef80cacb57||17828408||SIG|
|macOS 64-bit installer||Mac OS X||for OS X 10.9 and later||d1b09665312b6b1f4e11b03b6a4510a3||29051411||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||f6bbf64cc36f1de38fbf61f625ea6cf2||8480993||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||4d091857a2153d9406bb5c522b211061||8013540||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||3e4c42f5ff8fcdbe6a828c912b7afdb1||27543360||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||662961733cc947839a73302789df6145||1363800||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||980d5745a7e525be5abf4b443a00f734||7143308||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||2d4c7de97d6fcd8231fc3decbf8abf79||26446128||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||d21706bdac544e7a968e32bbb0520f51||1325432||SIG|