Release Date: Oct. 1, 2019
This is the release candidate of Python 3.8.0
This release, 3.8.0rc1, is the final planned release preview. Assuming no critical problems are found prior to 2019-10-14, the scheduled release date for 3.8.0, no code changes are planned between this release candidate and the final release.
Please keep in mind that this is a preview release and its use is not recommended for production environments.
Major new features of the 3.8 series, compared to 3.7
Some of the new major new features and changes in Python 3.8 are:
- PEP 572, Assignment expressions
- PEP 570, Positional-only arguments
- PEP 587, Python Initialization Configuration (improved embedding)
- PEP 590, Vectorcall: a fast calling protocol for CPython
- PEP 578, Runtime audit hooks
- PEP 574, Pickle protocol 5 with out-of-band data
- Typing-related: PEP 591 (Final qualifier), PEP 586 (Literal types), and PEP 589 (TypedDict)
- Parallel filesystem cache for compiled bytecode
- Debug builds share ABI as release builds
- f-strings support a handy
=specifier for debugging
continueis now legal in
- on Windows, the default
asyncioevent loop is now
- on macOS, the spawn start method is now used by default in
multiprocessingcan now use shared memory segments to avoid pickling costs between processes
typed_astis merged back to CPython
LOAD_GLOBALis now 40% faster
picklenow uses Protocol 4 by default, improving performance
- (Hey, fellow core developer, if a feature you find important is missing from this list, let Łukasz know.)
There are many other interesting changes, please consult the "What's New" page in the documentation for a full list.
- Online Documentation
- PEP 569, 3.8 Release Schedule
- Report bugs at https://bugs.python.org.
- Help fund Python and its community.
And now for something completely different
WISE MAN #1: We are three wise men.
MANDY: Well, what are you doing creeping around a cow shed at two o'clock in the morning? That doesn't sound very wise to me.
WISE MAN #3: We are astrologers.
WISE MAN #1: We have come from the East.
MANDY: Is this some kind of joke?
WISE MAN #2: We wish to praise the infant.
WISE MAN #1: We must pay homage to him.
MANDY: Homage? You're all drunk. It's disgusting. Out! The lot, out!
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||3e1be2f9a8a73dae196d04f23c90d749||23945154||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||edf19210b01ff2d77169ccb1d77e244c||17812764||SIG|
|macOS 64-bit installer||Mac OS X||for OS X 10.9 and later||a9a1e46cf083a97ab4b7dbb91808028d||28995422||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||d2fb2407f3f2b77de1198c0cd98159b3||8455530||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||1be113668100b937bf0f7171806bf221||8079786||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||ed7a7fa4d96577d9aa6948f125374426||27496600||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||450c62e368d6b27882c33494817479f3||1363904||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||f41a1888597ec844fd66b6dd8a42239a||7212649||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||bd2fa3653c21a03f47a582a9be561126||26399904||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||419db1a38595b1ab3730e3b6f764a901||1325896||SIG|