Release Date: 2017-10-17
This is an early developer preview of Python 3.7
Major new features of the 3.7 series, compared to 3.6
Python 3.7 is still in development. This releasee, 3.7.0a2, is the second of four planned alpha releases. Alpha releases are intended to make it easier to test the current state of new features and bug fixes and to test the release process. During the alpha phase, features may be added up until the start of the beta phase (2018-01-29) and, if necessary, may be modified or deleted up until the release candidate (2018-05-21) . Please keep in mind that this is a preview release and its use is not recommended for production environments.
Many new features for Python 3.7 are still being planned and written. Among the new major new features and changes so far:
- PEP 538, Coercing the legacy C locale to a UTF-8 based locale
- PEP 539, A New C-API for Thread-Local Storage in CPython
- PEP 553, Built-in breakpoint()
The next pre-release of Python 3.7 will be 3.7.0a3, currently scheduled for 2017-11-27.
- Online Documentation
- PEP 537, 3.7 Release Schedule
- Report bugs at https://bugs.python.org.
- Help fund Python and its community.
Notes on this release
- Windows users: The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".)
- Windows users: If installing Python 3.7 as a non-privileged user, you may need to escalate to administrator privileges to install an update to your C runtime libraries.
- Windows users: There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer will download the needed software components at installation time.
- Windows Users: There are redistributable zip files containing the Windows builds, making it easy to redistribute Python as part of another software package. Please see the documentation regarding Embedded Distribution for more information.
- macOS users: If you are using the Python 3.7 from the python.org binary installer linked on this page, please carefully read the Important Information displayed during installation; this information is also available after installation by clicking on /Applications/Python 3.7/ReadMe.rtf. There is important information there about changes in the 3.7 installer-supplied Python, particularly with regard to SSL certificate validation.
- macOS users: There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on macOS here.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||a5b3bb04b526dc646e716afd500b7b56||21641959||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||670c9e719d1b483c236e3973373abec5||16277732||SIG|
|Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.6 and later||f0f47aed0c9ef3bb0870d31932fff11d||27868252||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||6730da5df562e426ba5dc71d729e114b||8128045||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||8833ddbae6ffca7ebda746f67e6e93d5||6709779||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||4087053925c9c918575bcb8cbe7eb2bb||32008248||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||3d83c8cada81876fee5c5c0ccf2242d4||1315040||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||d1a290bdc0b31906e8750e7bdf90fb1d||6151853||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||39db022a42c23f4d9878f0139025fe5b||31329968||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||05010b72ae5acff25c00f2300ac2bc90||1288312||SIG|