Release Date: 2018-12-11
Python 3.6.8rc1 is a release candidate preview of the eighth and last maintenance release of Python 3.6. The Python 3.6 series contains many new features and optimizations.
Python 3.7 is now released and is the latest feature release of Python 3. Get the latest release of 3.7.x here. Python 3.6.8 is planned to be the last bugfix release for 3.6.x. Following the release of 3.6.8, we plan to provide security fixes for Python 3.6 as needed through 2021, five years following its initial release.
Among the new major new features in Python 3.6 are:
- PEP 468, Preserving Keyword Argument Order
- PEP 487, Simpler customization of class creation
- PEP 495, Local Time Disambiguation
- PEP 498, Literal String Formatting
- PEP 506, Adding A Secrets Module To The Standard Library
- PEP 509, Add a private version to dict
- PEP 515, Underscores in Numeric Literals
- PEP 519, Adding a file system path protocol
- PEP 520, Preserving Class Attribute Definition Order
- PEP 523, Adding a frame evaluation API to CPython
- PEP 524, Make os.urandom() blocking on Linux (during system startup)
- PEP 525, Asynchronous Generators (provisional)
- PEP 526, Syntax for Variable Annotations (provisional)
- PEP 528, Change Windows console encoding to UTF-8
- PEP 529, Change Windows filesystem encoding to UTF-8
- PEP 530, Asynchronous Comprehensions
Please see What’s New In Python 3.6 for more information.
- The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".)
- If installing Python 3.6 as a non-privileged user, you may need to escalate to administrator privileges to install an update to your C runtime libraries.
- There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer will download the needed software components at installation time.
- There are redistributable zip files containing the Windows builds, making it easy to redistribute Python as part of another software package. Please see the documentation regarding Embedded Distribution for more information.
- For Python 3.6 releases, we provide two binary installer options for download. The default variant is 64-bit-only and works on macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) and later systems. We also continue to provide a 64-bit/32-bit variant that works on all versions of macOS from 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on. As of 3.6.8rc1, both variants now come with batteries-included versions oF Tcl/Tk 8.6 for users of IDLE and other tkinter-based GUI applications; third-party and system versions of Tcl/Tk are no longer used. Consider using the 10.9 64-bit-only installer variant, unless you are building Python applications that also need to work on older macOS systems. Binary extension modules (including wheels) built for earlier versions of 3.6.x with the 10.6 variant should continue to work with either 3.6.8 variant without recompilation.
- Both python.org installer variants include private copies of OpenSSL 1.0.2. Please carefully read the Important Information displayed during installation for information about SSL/TLS certificate validation and the Install Certificates.command.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||34cd018f6d4ee3e51071bd32e9a17146||23010349||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||ba218ed84fa590434a8d8565f32f2c29||17202356||SIG|
|macOS 64-bit/32-bit installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.6 and later||1d56a1caa1afd6e6ab525b2faecb5740||33361189||SIG|
|macOS 64-bit installer||Mac OS X||for OS X 10.9 and later||36cbff8077ff886619f7a17099c71dd5||27135272||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||50efdbca7d8c868e922864103f0ef5a3||5515130||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||2b669a13361d04f4acf1113bf25d3f98||7194081||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||811d870f227142a19e347cdd37fc6a0b||29375872||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||00352454af164d53db8a066764252bc1||1320248||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||1be51e4730d1d44488ed9442fcc5603c||6408260||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||ed21608ff5a5b60eb933bd6b24d59279||28319000||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||782b3df069a6ec6f92d09938c5d2a379||1294152||SIG|