Release Date: Sept. 26, 2018
Python 3.6.7rc1 is a release candidate preview of the seventh maintenance release of Python 3.6. The Python 3.6 series contains many new features and optimizations.
Among the new major new features in Python 3.6 are:
- PEP 468, Preserving Keyword Argument Order
- PEP 487, Simpler customization of class creation
- PEP 495, Local Time Disambiguation
- PEP 498, Literal String Formatting
- PEP 506, Adding A Secrets Module To The Standard Library
- PEP 509, Add a private version to dict
- PEP 515, Underscores in Numeric Literals
- PEP 519, Adding a file system path protocol
- PEP 520, Preserving Class Attribute Definition Order
- PEP 523, Adding a frame evaluation API to CPython
- PEP 524, Make os.urandom() blocking on Linux (during system startup)
- PEP 525, Asynchronous Generators (provisional)
- PEP 526, Syntax for Variable Annotations (provisional)
- PEP 528, Change Windows console encoding to UTF-8
- PEP 529, Change Windows filesystem encoding to UTF-8
- PEP 530, Asynchronous Comprehensions
Please see What’s New In Python 3.6 for more information. Note that 3.6.7rc1 is a preview release and thus its use is not recommended for production environments.
- The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".)
- If installing Python 3.6 as a non-privileged user, you may need to escalate to administrator privileges to install an update to your C runtime libraries.
- There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer will download the needed software components at installation time.
- There are redistributable zip files containing the Windows builds, making it easy to redistribute Python as part of another software package. Please see the documentation regarding Embedded Distribution for more information.
- NEW as of 3.6.5: we are providing two binary installer options for download. The new variant works on macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) and later systems and comes with its own batteries-included version oF Tcl/Tk 8.6 for users of IDLE and other tkinter-based GUI applications. It is 64-bit only as Apple is deprecating 32-bit support in future macOS releases. For 3.6.6, the 10.9+ variant is offered as an additional more modern alternative to the traditional 10.6+ variant in earlier 3.6.x releases. The 10.6+ variant still requires installing a third-party version of Tcl/Tk 8.5. If you are using macOS 10.9 or later, consider using the new installer variant, unless you are building Python applications that also need to work on older macOS systems. Binary extension modules (including wheels) built for earlier versions of 3.6.x with the 10.6 variant should continue to work with either 3.6.6 variant without recompilation.
- If you are using Python 3.6.x from one of the python.org binary installers linked to on this page, please carefully read the Important Information displayed during installation; this information is also available after installation by clicking on /Applications/Python 3.6/ReadMe.rtf. There is important information there about changes in the 3.6 installer-supplied Python, particularly with regard to SSL certificate validation.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||209ffe808b78549342712af21a1cae6d||22964749||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||5f5ae4359f30c3fa15063b982e5af4eb||17176816||SIG|
|macOS 64-bit/32-bit installer||macOS||for Mac OS X 10.6 and later||92344a1500c7098d36ff0c6461ceed97||28150968||SIG|
|macOS 64-bit installer||macOS||for OS X 10.9 and later||6a47c8fdbeb3c1e1825d1647117c6ed2||27045054||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||21d0bc55ddf2d5a679406ae41a078091||8150682||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||0e29d39fa144d773732dc62eba6daf9f||7185183||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||727f9e6b0255d637490cee2595ed88e8||31985608||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||44162df92dd918f2528cdc150a6a1077||1320272||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||fce06edd99016e163d7b2f1a447583b7||6403233||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||864eeab82fc51e80b606db514367690a||30937456||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||6022ec4a52a6534edb6c00fcd428681e||1294200||SIG|