Release Date: 2017-10-03
Python 3.6.5 is now the latest maintenance release of Python 3.6 and supersedes 3.6.3. Get 3.6.5 here.
Python 3.6.3 is the third maintenance release of Python 3.6. The Python 3.6 series contains many new features and optimizations. See the What’s New In Python 3.6 document for more information.
Major new features of the 3.6 series, compared to 3.5
Among the new major new features in Python 3.6 are:
- PEP 468, Preserving Keyword Argument Order
- PEP 487, Simpler customization of class creation
- PEP 495, Local Time Disambiguation
- PEP 498, Literal String Formatting
- PEP 506, Adding A Secrets Module To The Standard Library
- PEP 509, Add a private version to dict
- PEP 515, Underscores in Numeric Literals
- PEP 519, Adding a file system path protocol
- PEP 520, Preserving Class Attribute Definition Order
- PEP 523, Adding a frame evaluation API to CPython
- PEP 524, Make os.urandom() blocking on Linux (during system startup)
- PEP 525, Asynchronous Generators (provisional)
- PEP 526, Syntax for Variable Annotations (provisional)
- PEP 528, Change Windows console encoding to UTF-8
- PEP 529, Change Windows filesystem encoding to UTF-8
- PEP 530, Asynchronous Comprehensions
Notes on this release
- Windows users: The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".)
- Windows users: If installing Python 3.6 as a non-privileged user, you may need to escalate to administrator privileges to install an update to your C runtime libraries.
- Windows users: There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer will download the needed software components at installation time.
- Windows Users: There are redistributable zip files containing the Windows builds, making it easy to redistribute Python as part of another software package. Please see the documentation regarding Embedded Distribution for more information.
- macOS users: If you are using the Python 3.6 from the python.org binary installer linked on this page, please carefully read the Important Information displayed during installation; this information is also available after installation by clicking on /Applications/Python 3.6/ReadMe.rtf. There is important information there about changes in the 3.6 installer-supplied Python, particularly with regard to SSL certificate validation.
- macOS users: There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on macOS here.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||e9180c69ed9a878a4a8a3ab221e32fa9||22673115||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||b9c2c36c33fb89bda1fefd37ad5af9be||16974296||SIG|
|Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.6 and later||ce31f17c952c657244a5cd0cccae34ad||27696231||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||a82270d7193f9fb8554687e7ca342df1||8020197||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||b1daa2a41589d7504117991104b96fe5||7145844||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||89044fb577636803bf49f36371dca09c||31619840||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||b6d61642327f25a5ebd1a7f11a6d3707||1312480||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||cf1c75ad7ccf9dec57ba7269198fd56b||6388018||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||3811c6d3203358e0c0c6b6677ae980d3||30584520||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||39c2879cecf252d4c935e4f8c3087aa2||1287056||SIG|