Release Date: 2017-08-08
Note: Python 3.5.4 has been superseded by Python 3.5.6.
Python 3.5.4 was released on August 8th, 2017.
Python 3.5.4 is the last "bugfix" release of 3.5. The Python 3.5 branch has now entered "security fixes only" mode; going forward, the only improvements made in the 3.5 branch will be security fixes.
Major new features of the 3.5 series, compared to 3.4
Among the new major new features and changes in the 3.5 release series are
- PEP 441, improved Python zip application support
- PEP 448, additional unpacking generalizations
- PEP 461, "%-formatting" for bytes and bytearray objects
- PEP 465, a new operator (@) for matrix multiplication
- PEP 471, os.scandir(), a fast new directory traversal function
- PEP 475, adding support for automatic retries of interrupted system calls
- PEP 479, change StopIteration handling inside generators
- PEP 484, the typing module, a new standard for type annotations
- PEP 485, math.isclose(), a function for testing approximate equality
- PEP 486, making the Windows Python launcher aware of virtual environments
- PEP 488, eliminating .pyo files
- PEP 489, a new and improved mechanism for loading extension modules
- PEP 492, coroutines with async and await syntax
Notes on this release
- The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".) They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly "IA-64").
- Windows users: If installing Python 3.5.1 as a non-privileged user, you may need to escalate to administrator privileges to install an update to your C runtime libraries.
- Windows users: There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer will download the needed software components at installation time.
- Windows users: There are redistributable zip files containing the Windows builds, making it easy to redistribute Python as part of another software package. Please see the documentation regarding Embedded Distribution for more information.
- Windows users: Some virus scanners (most notably "Microsoft Security Essentials") are flagging "Lib/distutils/command/wininst-14.0.exe" as malware. This is a "false positive": the file does not contain any malware. We build it ourselves, from source, on a known-clean system. We've asked that this false positive report be removed, and expect action soon. In the meantime, please don't be alarmed to see this warning when installing Python 3.5.2, or when scanning any earlier version of 3.5.
- OS X users: The OS X installers are now distributed as signed installer package files compatible with the OS X Gatekeeper security feature.
- OS X users: There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||2ed4802b7a2a7e40d2e797272bf388ec||20733411||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||fb2780baa260b4e51cbea814f111f303||15332320||SIG|
|Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.5 and later||18bab8161b162add0a9116d50031b347||26565678||SIG|
|Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.6 and later||96bf5d47777e8352209f743c06bed555||24874014||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||b9f45923c41b30a683130fdc71f85a99||7532322||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||1b56c67f3c849446794a15189f425f53||6934338||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||4276742a4a75a8d07260f13fe956eec4||29849120||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||bb2df5d7b7fb7666201ef2cfaad044b3||974328||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||3ce7b067ddd9a91bb221351d9370ebe9||6104188||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||9693575358f41f452d03fd33714f223f||28932168||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||fd91f7c78fe3a9ad3f270672cecae5d2||949008||SIG|