Release Date: 2015-07-26
Python 3.5.0b4 was released on July 26th, 2015.
Major new features of the 3.5 series, compared to 3.4
Among the new major new features and changes in the 3.5 release series are
- PEP 448, additional unpacking generalizations
- PEP 461, adding support for "%-formatting" for bytes and bytearray objects
- PEP 465, a new operator (@) for matrix multiplication
- PEP 471, os.scandir(), a fast new directory traversal function
- PEP 475, adding support for automatic retries of interrupted system calls
- PEP 479, change StopIteration handling inside generators
- PEP 484, the typing module, a new standard for type annotations
- PEP 486, making the Windows Python launcher aware of virtual environments
- PEP 488, eliminating .pyo files
- PEP 489, multi-phase extension module initialization
- PEP 492, coroutines with async and await syntax
Python 3.5 has now entered "feature freeze". By default new features may no longer be added to Python 3.5.
Notes on this release
- The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".) They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly "IA-64").
- Windows users: If installing Python 3.5.0b1 as a non-privileged user, you may need to escalate to administrator privileges to install an update to your C runtime libraries.
- Windows users: There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer does not contain Python, but instead downloads just the needed software at installation time.
- Windows users: The Windows binaries were built with Microsoft Visual Studio 2015, which is not yet officially released. (It's currently offered in "Preview" mode, which is akin to a "beta".) It is our intention to ship Python 3.5 using VS2015, although right now VS2015's final release date is unclear.
- OS X users: The OS X installers are now distributed as signed installer package files compatible with the OS X Gatekeeper security feature.
- OS X users: There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||98cf14f87710aa34dd523b5ab84dcae2||19980637||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||17a44df9ec94cfb00cad7c57256d4208||14755880||SIG|
|Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.5 and later||47a66b00ee784bc8b87e4c310b31d376||25418851||SIG|
|Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.6 and later||14e3b40cc9d715324f3fdf155f13b1b3||23751784||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||70b275953d593c58e8f321869ee06bb3||7615692||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||b4dc03c7405540dc3f9898ae4c68660f||8361938||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 executable installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||b453bf4ce18924bed43eb5481e63238f||29455808||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 web-based installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||8fb241651fd72e01bf33f6c74dcd4e70||787992||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable zip file||Windows||09c113f761e6c3d46d3961d907a903da||7522474||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||b47dd2e3c41cf60af2e8c4b1a2b3f405||28451168||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||59acaf9e5a329d1a8a0bafd4fd879b76||783624||SIG|