Release Date: 2015-04-20
Note: Python 3.5.0a4 has been superseded by Python 3.5.6.
Python 3.5.0a4 was released on April 20th, 2015.
Major new features of the 3.5 series, compared to 3.4
Python 3.5 is still in development, and 3.5.0a4 is the fourth and final alpha release. Many new features are still being planned and written. Among the new major new features and changes in the 3.5 release series so far are
- PEP 461, adding support for "%-formatting" for bytes and bytearray objects
- PEP 465, a new operator (@) for matrix multiplication
- PEP 471, os.scandir()
- PEP 475, adding support for automatic retries of interrupted system calls
- PEP 486, making the Windows Python launcher aware of virtual environments
- PEP 488, eliminating .pyo files
The next release of Python 3.5 will be 3.5.0b1, the first beta release. Python 3.5 will enter "feature freeze" at this time; no new features will be added to 3.5 after this point. Python 3.5.0b1 is scheduled to be released May 22, 2015.
Notes on this release
- Windows users: if you have previously installed Python 3.5.0a1, you must manually uninstall it before installing Python 3.5.0a4 (issue23612).
- Windows users: If installing Python 3.5.0a4 as a non-privileged user, you may need to escalate to administrator privileges to install an update to your C runtime libraries.
- The OS X installers are now distributed as signed installer package files compatible with the OS X Gatekeeper security feature.
- There are now "web-based" installers for Windows platforms; the installer does not contain Python, but instead downloads just the needed software at installation time.
- The Windows binaries were built with Microsoft Visual Studio 2015, which is not yet officially released. (It's currently offered in "Preview" mode, which is akin to a "beta".) It is our intention to ship Python 3.5 using VS2015, although right now VS2015's final release date is unclear.
- The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".) They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly "IA-64").
- There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||34667f07604352a4a1ef4651dcb7f870||19874914||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||dd8d2dcb8c8b301d57228be896317612||14704088||SIG|
|Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.5 and later||c648d4f3f02ce06d839e2b754e8382bc||25250926||SIG|
|Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.6 and later||d7321ddabc46927fd619a694c0d87086||23587943||SIG|
|Windows amd64 embeddable installer||Windows||b2c3001cd03d478293680f88beaf5218||6660944||SIG|
|Windows amd64 web-based installer||Windows||b2c3001cd03d478293680f88beaf5218||912024||SIG|
|Windows amd executable installer||Windows||5ca6f1dcc56c66065d874420ae95ea23||29316824||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||d5434e2cf712ebdf11ede3b6cdb43a64||7581518||SIG|
|Windows x86 embeddable installer||Windows||32f1d62bc4cad46e5bf3444d648e53f0||6068184||SIG|
|Windows x86 executable installer||Windows||a220359f4f6cefcc316504cccd3dc0fb||28459976||SIG|
|Windows x86 web-based installer||Windows||dd6712fe691f4212fb9e516541103721||886400||SIG|