Release Date: Sept. 29, 2012
Python 3.3 includes a range of improvements of the 3.x series, as well as easier porting between 2.x and 3.x. Major new features in the 3.3 release series are:
- PEP 380, syntax for delegating to a subgenerator (yield from)
- PEP 393, flexible string representation (doing away with the distinction between "wide" and "narrow" Unicode builds)
- A C implementation of the "decimal" module, with up to 120x speedup for decimal-heavy applications
- The import system (__import__) is based on importlib by default
- The new "lzma" module with LZMA/XZ support
- PEP 397, a Python launcher for Windows
- PEP 405, virtual environment support in core
- PEP 420, namespace package support
- PEP 3151, reworking the OS and IO exception hierarchy
- PEP 3155, qualified name for classes and functions
- PEP 409, suppressing exception context
- PEP 414, explicit Unicode literals to help with porting
- PEP 418, extended platform-independent clocks in the "time" module
- PEP 412, a new key-sharing dictionary implementation that significantly saves memory for object-oriented code
- PEP 362, the function-signature object
- The new "faulthandler" module that helps diagnosing crashes
- The new "unittest.mock" module
- The new "ipaddress" module
- The "sys.implementation" attribute
- A policy framework for the email package, with a provisional (see PEP 411) policy that adds much improved unicode support for email header parsing
- A "collections.ChainMap" class for linking mappings to a single unit
- Wrappers for many more POSIX functions in the "os" and "signal" modules, as well as other useful functions such as "sendfile()"
- Hash randomization, introduced in earlier bugfix releases, is now switched on by default
See these resources for further information:
- What's new in 3.3?
- 3.3 Release Schedule
- Change log for this release.
- Online Documentation
- Report bugs at http://bugs.python.org.
- Help fund Python and its community.
This is a production release. Please report any bugs you encounter.
We currently support these formats for download:
- Bzipped source tar ball (3.3.0) (sig), ~ 14 MB
- XZ compressed source tar ball (3.3.0) (sig), ~ 11 MB
- Gzipped source tar ball (3.3.0) (sig), ~ 16 MB
- Windows x86 MSI Installer (3.3.0) (sig) and Visual Studio debug information files (sig)
- Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.3.0)  (sig) and Visual Studio debug information files (sig)
- Windows help file (sig)
- Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit Installer (3.3.0) for Mac OS X 10.6 and later  (sig). [You may need an updated Tcl/Tk install to run IDLE or use Tkinter, see note 2 for instructions.]
- Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC Installer (3.3.0) for OS X 10.5 and later  (sig)
The source tarballs are signed with Georg Brandl's key, which has a key id of 36580288; the fingerprint is 26DE A9D4 6133 91EF 3E25 C9FF 0A5B 1018 3658 0288. The Windows installer was signed by Martin von Löwis' public key, which has a key id of 7D9DC8D2. The Mac installers were signed with Ned Deily's key, which has a key id of 6F5E1540. The public keys are located on the download page.
MD5 checksums and sizes of the released files:
198a64f7a04d1d5e95ce2782d5fd8254 16327785 Python-3.3.0.tgz b3b2524f72409d919a4137826a870a8f 13781940 Python-3.3.0.tar.bz2 2e7533b4009ac4adae62a7797a442e7a 11720732 Python-3.3.0.tar.xz 9813d8f76b007fffa595abb3a11b3b0f 19367758 python-3.3.0-macosx10.5.dmg a42dbeb9d17d46b40a6666f496207b4e 19441635 python-3.3.0-macosx10.6.dmg 5129376df1c56297a80e69a1a6144b4e 20508672 python-3.3.0.amd64.msi 70062e4b9a1f959f5e07555e471c5657 19980288 python-3.3.0.msi e3a31bce895efedd44b1d0db26614344 6353251 python330.chm a730d8ce509ce666170911a834ef1e2e 27897502 python-3.3.0-pdb.zip e44e33ab3721014d6ea740553acfa337 22104438 python-3.3.0.amd64-pdb.zip
|||The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture (formerly EM64T), i.e. the architecture that Microsoft calls x64, and AMD called x86-64 before calling it AMD64. They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly IA-64).|
|||(1, 2) There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here.|
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|bzip2 compressed source tarball||Source release||b3b2524f72409d919a4137826a870a8f||13781940||SIG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||b8089594cc16003f9ffb3a0c5995c037||67799040||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||2e7533b4009ac4adae62a7797a442e7a||11720732||SIG|
|Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC installer||macOS||for Mac OS X 10.5 and later||9813d8f76b007fffa595abb3a11b3b0f||19367758||SIG|
|Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit installer||macOS||for Mac OS X 10.6 and later||a42dbeb9d17d46b40a6666f496207b4e||19441635||SIG|
|Windows debug information files||Windows||a730d8ce509ce666170911a834ef1e2e||27897502||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||e3a31bce895efedd44b1d0db26614344||6353251||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 MSI installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64||5129376df1c56297a80e69a1a6144b4e||20508672||SIG|
|Windows x86 MSI installer||Windows||70062e4b9a1f959f5e07555e471c5657||19980288||SIG|