Release Date: Sept. 6, 2023
This is the second release candidate of Python 3.12.0
This release, 3.12.0rc2, is the last release preview for Python 3.12.
There will be no ABI changes from this point forward in the 3.12 series. The intent is for the final release of 3.12.0, scheduled for Monday, 2023-10-02, to be identical to this release candidate. This is the last chance to find critical problems in Python 3.12.
Call to action
We strongly encourage maintainers of third-party Python projects to prepare their projects for 3.12 compatibilities during this phase, and where necessary publish Python 3.12 wheels on PyPI to be ready for the final release of 3.12.0. Any binary wheels built against Python 3.12.0rc2 will work with future versions of Python 3.12. As always, report any issues to the Python bug tracker.
Please keep in mind that this is a preview release and while it's as close to the final release as we can get it, its use is not recommended for production environments.
Core developers: time to work on documentation now
- Are all your changes properly documented?
- Are they mentioned in What's New?
- Did you notice other changes you know of to have insufficient documentation?
Major new features of the 3.12 series, compared to 3.11
- More flexible f-string parsing, allowing many things previously disallowed (PEP 701).
- Support for the buffer protocol in Python code (PEP 688).
- A new debugging/profiling API (PEP 669).
- Support for isolated subinterpreters with separate Global Interpreter Locks (PEP 684).
- Even more improved error messages. More exceptions potentially caused by typos now make suggestions to the user.
- Support for the Linux
perfprofiler to report Python function names in traces.
- Many large and small performance improvements (like PEP 709), delivering an estimated 5% overall performance improvementcitation needed.
- New type annotation syntax for generic classes (PEP 695).
- New override decorator for methods (PEP 698).
- The deprecated
wstr_lengthmembers of the C implementation of unicode objects were removed, per PEP 623.
- In the
unittestmodule, a number of long deprecated methods and classes were removed. (They had been deprecated since Python 3.1 or 3.2).
- The deprecated
distutilsmodules have been removed (see PEP 594 and PEP 632. The
setuptoolspackage continues to provide the
- A number of other old, broken and deprecated functions, classes and methods have been removed.
- Invalid backslash escape sequences in strings now warn with
DeprecationWarning, making them more visible. (They will become syntax errors in the future.)
- The internal representation of integers has changed in preparation for performance enhancements. (This should not affect most users as it is an internal detail, but it may cause problems for Cython-generated code.)
(Hey, fellow core developer, if a feature you find important is missing from this list, let Thomas know.)
For more details on the changes to Python 3.12, see What's new in Python 3.12. The next scheduled release of Python 3.12 will be 3.12.0, the final release, currently scheduled for 2023-10-02.
- Online Documentation.
- PEP 693, the Python 3.12 Release Schedule.
- Report bugs via GitHub Issues.
- Help fund Python and its community.
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG||Sigstore|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||970d493c3e918282d964d5b54dfa9733||27174203||SIG||.sigstore|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||c6da177d411956a24f15988e22dcfdb8||20563748||SIG||.sigstore|
|macOS 64-bit universal2 installer||macOS||for macOS 10.9 and later||0536788192c01e1c0a056394a02a19c9||45329704||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows embeddable package (32-bit)||Windows||5d63a5ee6fd3bb7e39ee6449114b51fd||9824756||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows embeddable package (64-bit)||Windows||10208bc768a0dd6f042e3c6d6a8c0ca2||11026968||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows embeddable package (ARM64)||Windows||af596badf2e0144831bacf7d3bb6988f||10289241||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows installer (32 -bit)||Windows||c7bfbde3b07a7bd013043640ca475b8c||25163184||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows installer (64-bit)||Windows||Recommended||ea1993b5227fa4c8f45a06f5fbdd23b3||26489056||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows installer (ARM64)||Windows||Experimental||c5ea6e3fbbdf15a93919b756a755b026||25732920||SIG||.sigstore|