Release Date: Oct. 2, 2023
This is the stable release of Python 3.12.0
Python 3.12.0 is the newest major release of the Python programming language, and it contains many new features and optimizations.
Major new features of the 3.12 series, compared to 3.11
- More flexible f-string parsing, allowing many things previously disallowed (PEP 701).
- Support for the buffer protocol in Python code (PEP 688).
- A new debugging/profiling API (PEP 669).
- Support for isolated subinterpreters with separate Global Interpreter Locks (PEP 684).
- Even more improved error messages. More exceptions potentially caused by typos now make suggestions to the user.
- Support for the Linux
perfprofiler to report Python function names in traces.
- Many large and small performance improvements (like PEP 709 and support for the BOLT binary optimizer), delivering an estimated 5% overall performance improvement.
- New type annotation syntax for generic classes (PEP 695).
- New override decorator for methods (PEP 698).
- The deprecated
wstr_lengthmembers of the C implementation of unicode objects were removed, per PEP 623.
- In the
unittestmodule, a number of long deprecated methods and classes were removed. (They had been deprecated since Python 3.1 or 3.2).
- The deprecated
distutilsmodules have been removed (see PEP 594 and PEP 632. The
setuptoolspackage continues to provide the
- A number of other old, broken and deprecated functions, classes and methods have been removed.
- Invalid backslash escape sequences in strings now warn with
DeprecationWarning, making them more visible. (They will become syntax errors in the future.)
- The internal representation of integers has changed in preparation for performance enhancements. (This should not affect most users as it is an internal detail, but it may cause problems for Cython-generated code.)
For more details on the changes to Python 3.12, see What's new in Python 3.12.
- Online Documentation.
- PEP 693, the Python 3.12 Release Schedule.
- Report bugs via GitHub Issues.
- Help fund Python and its community.
And now for something completely different
They have no need of our help So do not tell me These haggard faces could belong to you or me Should life have dealt a different hand We need to see them for who they really are Chancers and scroungers Layabouts and loungers With bombs up their sleeves Cut-throats and thieves They are not Welcome here We should make them Go back to where they came from They cannot Share our food Share our homes Share our countries Instead let us Build a wall to keep them out It is not okay to say These are people just like us A place should only belong to those who are born there Do not be so stupid to think that The world can be looked at another way (now read from bottom to top)
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG||Sigstore|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||d6eda3e1399cef5dfde7c4f319b0596c||27195214||SIG||.sigstore|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||f6f4616584b23254d165f4db90c247d6||20575020||SIG||.sigstore|
|macOS 64-bit universal2 installer||macOS||for macOS 10.9 and later||eddf6f35a3cbab94f2f83b2875c5fc27||45371285||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows embeddable package (32-bit)||Windows||c2047dc270c4936f9c64619bb193b721||9824586||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows embeddable package (64-bit)||Windows||8e24d2b26a8dbf1da0694b9da1a08b2c||11030264||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows embeddable package (ARM64)||Windows||3da91ef1a86a8a210a32ea99c709dd93||10277538||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows installer (32 -bit)||Windows||de59862985bf7afa639f2e4f9e2a722c||25173976||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows installer (64-bit)||Windows||Recommended||32ab6a1058dfbde76951b7aa7c2335a6||26507904||SIG||.sigstore|
|Windows installer (ARM64)||Windows||Experimental||230c703e3b8b3d92765d118afa7b2f78||25742528||SIG||.sigstore|