Release Date: June 22, 2001
We're releasing Python 2.0.1 - the final bugfix release for Python 2.0.
- We've fixed the license: Python 2.0.1 is GPL-compatible. We took the Python 2.1 license and applied the required change to section 7 that the FSF told us would suffice to make it GPL-compatible. The result (after changing the version number) is the new Python 2.0.1 license. The FSF was quick to approve it!
- Some people still prefer Python 2.0 over Python 2.1; they can now benefit from many bugfixes that we've applied since 2.0 was released, without any of the feature changes.
Note that Python 2.1 is still not GPL-compatible, but we're planning a bugfix release there too, Python 2.1.1, with the same GPL-compatible license.
- We've been very careful to fix only bugs and not add new features. (Thanks to Moshe Zadka for taking care of the thankless chore of poring over the CVS logs and SourceForge bug reports and re-applying selected patches!)
- One exception: the SRE package (regular expression matching, used by the "re" module) was brought in line with the version distributed with Python 2.1; this is stable feature-wise but much improved bug-wise.
- For the full scoop, see the release notes.
Download the release
Windows users should download Python-2.0.1.exe, the Windows installer, from one of the download locations below, run it, and follow the friendly instructions on the screen to complete the installation. (Python-2.0.1-Debug.zip is a set of DLLs for Windows developers compiled in debug mode; it contains nothing of value for regular Python users.) Windows users may also be interested in Mark Hammond's win32all, a collection of Windows-specific extensions including COM support and Pythonwin, an IDE built using Windows components.
All others should download Python-2.0.1.tgz, the source tarball, from one of the download locations below, and do the usual "gunzip; tar; configure; make" dance.
- Python.org: HTTP.
The documentation has been changed minimally:
- Browse HTML on-line
Bugs and Patches
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||eba86a416f8e8ab682544aade7d0cc27||17571840|
|Windows debug information files||Windows||0a8506c7379a2efdc95759ecbc8f16a0||1794859|