3D plotting with python 2.5 on win32

Jason tenax.raccoon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:11:29 EST 2007

On Dec 20, 8:48 am, anton <anto... at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I know ctypes, my problem is not PyOpenGL itself,
> but during my tests with different python based 3D tools,
> some of them depend on PyOpenGL and since PyOPenGL
> is only available for python 2.4 .... the story ends here.
>
> Sorry I don't actually remember exactly what tool it was,
> I tried out (or tried to try out) different tools for
> doing 3D plotting, but skipped most of them since I did
> not get them to work.
> (... yes I am a little bit confused since I didnt find
> something working out of the box).
>
> Anton
>

> > PyOpenGL isn't abandonware.  Python 2.5 comes with the ctypes module
> > [1], so there isn't any need for a binary wrapper module anymore.
>
> > Under 2.5, all pure "wrapper" binary modules are unnecessary.  They
> > can work cross-platform from pure Python, calling directly into the C
> > function code.  Trust me, this is an excellent improvement.
>
> > PyOpenGL probably too low-level for what you want, but it isn't dead
> > yet.  (It's just pining for the symbol table.)
>
> >   --Jason
>
> > [1]http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ctypes.html

That's just it: PyOpenGL is available for Python 2.5.  Go to "http://
pyopengl.sourceforge.net/ctypes/using.html" for information about
getting and installing it.

Obviously, I don't know what problems are with the tools you tried.
There may be backward-compatibility problems that I haven't
encountered with PyOpenGL on Python 2.5.

I do hope this helps you, even if only a little bit.

  --Jason