3D plotting with python 2.5 on win32

Peter Wang misterwang at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:24:14 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 8:15 am, anton <anto... at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if some of you knows a
>  - working
>  - actual
>  - out of the box (for me: binaries available)
> Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.
> There is MayaVi from enthon but you need to use their python (2.4.3),
> all other stuff need picking sources etc.

Hi Anton,

You actually don't need to use the enthon installer (and definitely
not the 2.4.3-based one) in order to get MayaVi.  You will need to
have setuptools installed.  Then, you should run:

easy_install -f http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp
VTK enthought.mayavi[nonets]

It's important to include "[nonets]" so that you will get scipy and
numpy as well.

Here are some links for getting started with MayaVI:
Mayavi Cookbook: http://scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi
MLab: http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi/mlab

>From your posts it sounds like you really want to use something like
MLab.

On a side note, we are almost done putting together an updated one-
click installer of python + packages for scientific computing.  This
will be based on Python 2.5, will include most of what was included in
the 2.4.3-based installer, and will be available for multiple
platforms.

-Peter