3D plotting with python 2.5 on win32

anton antonxx at gmx.de
Fri Dec 21 03:12:50 EST 2007

Hi Peter,

> have setuptools installed.  Then, you should run:
>
> easy_install -fhttp://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp
> VTK enthought.mayavi[nonets]
>
> It's important to include "[nonets]" so that you will get scipy and
> numpy as well.

I have already scipy 0.6.0 and numpy 1.0.4 installed, so
I assume I can ignore [nosets]

I will try to do tell setuptools to download all the stuff
instead of installing it at once, so I can install it on other pc's
even without internet connection.
(I have to look, I always forget the easy_install parameters)

> Here are some links for getting started with MayaVI:
> Mayavi Cookbook:http://scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi
> MLab:http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi/mlab

Thanks. I know scipy.org already, its grea :-)

> From your posts it sounds like you really want to use something like
> MLab.

Yes, exact for the first step.

Then I will look if I can integrate a "3D Plot window"
in a wxPython application.
I want to write an application to analyse log files from nc machines,
and display the trajectories of the machine.

> On a side note, we are almost done putting together an updated one-
> click installer of python + packages for scientific computing.  This
> will be based on Python 2.5, will include most of what was included in
> the 2.4.3-based installer, and will be available for multiple
> platforms.

Looks nice, its also nice that its possible to
use parts of the enthon suite without using the full enthon installer.

While it may be nice for some peoples, I personally prefer
to install the standard python from python.org and add packages
independently.
(I tried the 2.4.3 enthon installer some time ago, but since
I had already a python 2.4.3 installation with moinmoin and trac for
example,
I didn't like this too much, ... don't remember exactly what I
didn't like exactly, by I deinstalled the whole enthon stuff rather
fast.

Again: the enthon installer is nice if somebody uses only this
suite :-)
Its a great work, congratulations !!)

Thanks, Peter

  Anton