[Tutor] Enable Python feature in vim editor

David Lowry-Duda david at lowryduda.com
Tue Nov 23 14:30:10 EST 2021

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 10:18:19PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I am using vim editor to write python scripts. Is there a way to
> enable syntax, help and indentation of python script?

Welcome to the vim way! I also use vim as my primary python editor. I'll
note that there has been a recent surge in power from language servers,
and tools like vim-ale (https://github.com/dense-analysis/ale) or
coc.nvim (https://github.com/neoclide/coc.nvim) [which I am led to
believe works also for vim and not just neovim, but in fact I have not
used it] might be very helpful. These enable various forms of
autocompletion, definitions, signature help, mypy-type checking, and so
on, from within vim.

I suggest that you consider these and whether or not you think they
would be helpful in your setup.

And though it's actually quite old, I also recommend using some form of
ctags for large projects, such as
(https://github.com/universal-ctags/ctags). This facilitates quickly
jumping to definitions, functions, and classes in a project.

- DLD