[Tutor] python programming using the vim editor (was 'The Python way..')

Alex Kleider alexkleider at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 02:38:48 EST 2021

Bob Stepp wrote:
"""
Do you have a system clipboard setup?  I had to get xsel going to use it
with
Neovim.

Once you have a recognized (by Vim/Neovim) system clipboard configured, then
you use the appropriate register(s).  In Vim/Neovim type ":h registers",
which
will describe them.  For instance if I have copied something to the system
clipboard with the mouse and I am back in Vim/Neovim in insert mode I type
"Ctrl-r, +" to paste it in.  If you are in normal mode you would use either
"p" or "P" as you would with one of the alphabetic registers, but instead
substitute "+".
"""
Thanks for your attempt to help, Bob, but I must confess to not
understanding!
I don't know of xsel or of Neovim.  I do have copy and paste working using
just leftclick+C(opy or leftclick+Paste and am happy with that.
I assume (but am not certain and for sure don't understand what the line is
really doing) that the following line:
" imap <C-v> <Esc>:set paste<CR>"+P :set nopaste<CR>a"
in my .vimrc is providing me that functionality .
Having said that, I did copy some of this text into the system clipboard
and then while in insert mode in vim, "Ctrl-r, +" did accomplish a paste
(the same as if I'd done 'leftclick, p'! )  That's good to know.
How do you 'copy' a highlighted segment from vim into your system clipboard?
Cheers,
Alex