[Tutor] Enable Python feature in vim editor

Peter Downs padowns at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 13:04:51 EST 2021

Hey Klaus,

I like how you wrap the language specific settings in a function instead
of having a bunch of separate autocmd lines like I do.

I also map function keys to tools like linters and the interpreter:

==8<==

autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.py nnoremap <buffer> <F5> :w<cr>:exec
'!clear; pylint' shellescape(@%, 1)<cr>
autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.py nnoremap <buffer> <F6> :w<cr>:exec
'!clear; pylama' shellescape(@%, 1)<cr>
autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.py nnoremap <buffer> <F9> :w<cr>:exec
'!clear; python3' shellescape(@%, 1)<cr>

==8<==

that way you can test the code or check the syntax without leaving vim
or switching windows.

Peter