[Tutor] Recommended Resurce or strategy for beginning students

Mike Barnett mike_barnett at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 22:47:44 EST 2019

Congratulations!!

When going through PySimpleGUI….
There are some tutorial videos if your students like to learn that way.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/9nvdmw/tutorial_beginning_as_in_your_first_time_gui/

And be sure and check out the new PySimpleGUIWeb implementation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/ar3x3b/embedding_entire_python_guis_in_webpages_with/

The latest Cookbook takes advantage of this early port of PySimpleGUIWeb running in the repl.it environment.

It uses repl.it to show how to implement various cookbook Recipes.

The PySimpleGUI account for Repl.it is https://repl.it/@PySimpleGUI which is where you’ll find a number of example programs that run using PySimpleGUIWeb.

Repl.it is AMAZING!  They’re even doing AI contests on there.  Imagine doing Python AI programs without Python even being installed on your computer.

Now your students can program PySimpleGUI code on an iPad if they really wanted.  Any browser window will work with repl.it.

You can write your PySimpleGUI code one time and run it on the web, tkinter, Qt, or WxPython all by just changing the import statement (in theory).

The downside is that each port is a little bit further along than the others.  Tkinter is pretty much done.  Qt is in Alpha.  Wx is Pre-Alpha.  Web is Engineering release.

For doing the basics, PySimpleGUIWeb does remarkably well.  I’m able to use it to demonstrate PySimpleGUI concepts in a way that any reader can understand and execute without  even needing Python installed on their computer.

It’s Remi<https://github.com/dddomodossola/remi>, by the way, that is the magic behind PySimpleGUIWeb.

@mike<mailto:mike_barnett at hotmail.com>