[Tutor] Recommended Resurce or strategy for beginning students

Matthew Polack matthew.polack at htlc.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 20 22:35:19 EST 2019

Hi All,

Just wanted to update this thread regarding a resource for beginning
students. We are now 4 weeks into the course and have found an excellent
youtube series that goes from absolute basics.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLAZ4kZ9dFpMMs5lskzBApYXn0bl7emsW

The big advantage for us in a classroom context is that students can work
through this at their own pace using an Ipad to watch videos and then a
computer to code..

I have some students who are flying through the course and are ready for
more advanced topics..others are working more slowly...but all of them are
enthusiastic and engaged...and the beauty of using a series like this is
they can just go onto the harder topics when they are ready.

After we finish this series my plan is then to go onto Mike's excellent
PySimpleGUI resource...https://pysimplegui.readthedocs.io/tutorial/

I'm sure the students will then enjoy the GUI elements of the code.

We'll also use the Turtle import option to add some graphics interactions

We then might look to use a robotics  resource which is GoPiGo
https://www.dexterindustries.com/gopigo-in-python-tutorials/ which gives us
a chance to explore robotics with Python.

The pleasing thing is how keen the students are to keep learning and asking
questions....

Thanks again for all your support and ideas!

Matthew Polack

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 3:05 PM David <bouncingcats at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 20:30, Matthew Polack
> <matthew.polack at htlc.vic.edu.au> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > In our growing school we're teaching Python programming for the first
> time
> > as an elective subject with Year 9 and 10 students. (Had a dabble at this
> > last year with 3 students in Year 11)
>
> Hi Matthew and other readers,
>
> I wonder if you and any others here involved in classroom/group teaching
> might be interested in this recent presentation that I stumbled across:
>
> https://media.ccc.de/v/35c3-9800-how_to_teach_programming_to_your_loved_ones
>
> The section of this video which motivates me to write here is the two
> minutes
> from 19:00 to 21:00.
>
> What I find most interesting is his motivation mentioned there: he claims
> his
> procedure solves the problem of any students becoming "lost", feeling
> "stuck"
> at any particular step, not knowing what to do next, and unable to proceed
> without guidance.
>
> Quoting from the synopsis:
> The talk is based on many years of research by the Program by Design,
> DeinProgramm, and Bootstrap educational projects, as well as over 30 years
> of personal teaching experience in school, university and industrial
> contexts.
> A word of warning: The resulting approach is radically different from most
> teaching approaches used in universities and schools. In particular, it
> avoids
> teaching purely through examples and expecting students to develop the
> skills to arrive at the solutions on their own. Instead, it teaches
> explicit
> methodology that enables students to solve problems of surprising
> complexity
> on their own, whether they are 11 or 55, whether in a classroom, a training
> facility, or your home. Extensive documentation, material, and software to
> support this methodology is available for free.
>
> For anyone considering watching the whole presentation, I expect that there
> are many other aspects of this presentation to which people here could
> react
> negatively, for example:
>
> 1) The given title is misleading, in my opinion its subtitle would be much
> more
> representative: "Enabling students [by] example-driven teaching".
>
> 2) It recommends against Python, about this I have no opinion (except
> to respect the presenter's experience) and that is not why I am posting it
> here.
>
> 3) It emphasises functional programming style.
>
> 4) Despite possibly having an audience including skilled programmers, in
> the
> second half of the presentation the presenter does not skip quickly over
> the
> [...]

**Disclaimer: *Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material
contained in this email is free from computer viruses or other defects, the
attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the
user assumes all responsibility for use of the material transmitted. This
email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above
and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are
not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email
or telephone +61 3 5382 2529** and destroy the original message.*