[Tutor] Python book question

ahimsa ahimsa@onetel.net.uk
Mon Mar 24 13:19:20 2003

Hi all

FWIW, as a Python 'student', I have to agree with Alan's comment (cited=20
below). In the process of trying to learn/teach myself Python, I have fou=
nd=20
that I obtain one level of understanding from reading a text and thinking=
 I=20
understand it, and a fresher, almost more concrete (?) or operational=20
understanding when I then try to (a) put that understanding to the test b=
y=20
copying out an example and making it work and (b) taking a basic idea and=
=20
playing around with it a bit - include it in a code snippet, or change=20
variables around, or use my own data, etc. It seems until I actually do t=
ry=20
the code out my understanding is limited to an abstraction. In short, I c=
an=20
vouch for the 'try-it-out-for-yourself' approach: it *does* make a=20
difference.

On Monday 24 Mar 2003 5:48 pm, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:
> Whichever you choose remember that reading books is only the first
> step, try things out, experiment. Its the only way to learn.

--=20
News from a diiferent perspective:
http://www.scoop.co.nz
http://www.fromthewilderness.com