[Tutor] Question about 'scopes'

ahimsa ahimsa@onetel.net.uk
Mon Mar 24 14:43:44 2003

Hi (yet again)

I'm trying to get my head around certain concepts in Python (and probably=
=20
programming more generally), and am finding that I can understand CS=20
terminology when I try and draw a connection between what it refers to an=
d my=20
own more familiar frames of reference or conceptual paradigms. Hence, som=
e of=20
my recent questions have been about metaphors and similie.

Anyway, aside from being verbose, I am also curious as to whether the CS=20
concept of 'scope' can be compared with the biological or cybernetic conc=
epts=20
of 'system', or 'domain of reference', in that a scope 'encloses' a=20
particular set of attributes and methods much as a system can be said to=20
'contain' parts. Hence a scope seems quite akin to a 'level' (as in a lev=
el=20
of analysis) and comprises namespace references and definitions.
Have I got the right end of the stick here?

Andy

--=20
News from a diiferent perspective:
http://www.scoop.co.nz