[Tutor] Wishful thinking - Python and Docbook

Jay Dorsey jay@hostfx.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:00:39 -0400

I've been lurking on the mail list for a few weeks now and have become
increasingly interested in learning Python.  However, I'm one of those
people that learns best by doing things, and I've been trying to come up
with a 'project' for myself to work on so I can maintain some focus.

I'm a ColdFusion web developer with not much real programming
experience, but I do feel I have the capacity for it (just not all the
time I'd like at the moment).  One of the tools I would like to build as
  part of what I have to do at work is some type of Docbook application,
for creating documents that follow the Docbook specification.
ColdFusion isn't the right tool for the job I'm almost certain of.  My
question is, is Python?

I'd like to build a GUI interface, something like a trimmed down Word,
specifically that conforms to the Docbook XML specification.  What do I
need to look into for the GUI part.  I understand that I still need to
work on the core programming concepts, but if anyone can clue me in as
to where to put some focus at (I see TkInter mentioned in posts, I know
it's a GUI toolkit that can work on 'nix and Windows, but would it suit
my needs?).

I know there isn't really any right or wrong to how I build this, I'm
just looking for some advice from people that have experience.

Also, if you know of anyone that's worked on, is working on, or wants to
work on, a similar type project, please let me know; I've not been able
to find anything of the like about it.

Regards,

Jay