[Tutor] Wishful thinking - Python and Docbook

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:04:24 +0200

Hi Jay, I'm sure Python is a reasonable tool for such a
task. It sounds like a very ambitious first programming
project though.

Python is fairly strong on both GUI and XML handling.

If I were you, I'd try to identify different components
here, and try to think of smaller pieces that might be
useful on their own, but also useful in this application.

Maybe you could start with a piece of code that validates
Docbook XML, or converts to XML from some simple markup?

It's also a good thing to learn the Python standard lib
and various third party libraries. Don't reinvent the wheel.
Maybe reStructuredText & DocFactory would be useful to you.
See http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html and
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/sandbox/gschwant/docfactory/README.html

I wouldn't start with GUI in my first Python code. It's not
the eaisest end to start in.