[TriPython] TriPython January 2016 Meeting: Creating PDF Files with Python

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Thu Jan 7 09:26:54 EST 2016

> On Jan 6, 2016, at 12:02 PM, Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu> wrote:
>
> http://tripython.org/Members/cbc/jan-16-mtg
>
> When: Thursday, January 28, 7-9pm
> Where: Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI)
>       Biltmore Conference Room, 5th Floor
>       100 Europa Drive, Suite 590, Chapel Hill
> What:
> """
> Philip Semanchuk will demonstrate and compare different ways to create PDF files with Python. Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. Lightning talks are for you to "show and tell" something you've learned about Python recently, no matter how small. We all use Python, therefore, we are always learning something new about Python that we can tell others. Plenty of free parking is available in the RENCI parking deck. The meeting will be followed by our usual after-meeting at a nearby tavern for food and beverage. Come join us for a fun and informative evening.

Thanks for posting this, Chris!

FYI, my goal is to squeeze the talk into an hour (45 minutes plus 15 minutes for Q&A), but it will probably run a bit longer than that.

The talk compares the pros and cons of two very different approaches to PDF creation (ReportLab and LibreOffice). What you’ll get from attending is an understanding of which approach best suits a given situation. The talk is as little tutorial as I can make it — about 10-15%. The rest covers the strengths and weaknesses of the two methods.

Hope to see you there!

Bye
Philip