[SciPy-user] Debian package(s)? -- and RPM

RA Ralf_Ahlbrink at web.de
Mon Nov 18 08:28:15 EST 2002

On Montag, 18. November 2002 11:57:11, Francesc Alted wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 03:06:22PM +0100, RA wrote:
> > I've just read the ml archive, because I want to contribute some packages
> > (scipy and f2py), both RPM (Mdk 9.0) and DEB (woody).
> > I've got some experience with RPM and I'll also submit these packages to
> > cooker (just updated yesterday, with custom atlas ).
> > For debian, well, the debs evolved from joe r. packages. They were
> > updated a few weeks ago (build with atlas-base). I hope, that they can be
> > at least a starting point.
> > So, how could I upload the stuff?
>
> Ok. If you have a debian package candidate for both scipy and f2py, I
> suggest to first send them to Joe Reinhart, and if he founds the packages
> are ok, put them in a public place in order to be tested by debian scipy
> users (for example, myself).

I've got two packages for now: f2py (scipy_distutils omitted), and scipy with
all parts except chacko. I could work this evening on the splitting of scipy
(see below).
Furthermore, I used python2.2 explicitely. I believe, that for woody, one has
to provide both, python- and python2.2- packages -- correct? So, that would
be another todo.
I guess, only after these modifications Joe wants to have these debs...

> Please, when building the new packages, have in mind all the suggestions
> from Pearu and Eric.

Just to make sure:

### Pearu's summary ###
1) scipy_distutils and scipy_test are bundled to scipy_core
2) scipy_base stays in scipy (at least for the time being)
3) The following packages are stand-alone and all depend on scipy_core:
   scipy, weave, f2py2e, chaco, etc.
4) scipy depends also on weave, f2py2e, chaco(?in future), etc.
###

This _could_ mean:

'python<>' and 'python2.2<>' debs:

'-scipy-core'   -- see 1)
'-scipy' (scipy & scipy_base), '-weave' , '-chaco'   -- see 2) & 3)
'-f2py' (stand-alone), '-f2py2e' or '-f2py-base' (scipy_distutils omitted)

Comments?

> Good luck, and if you need any help, just say it!

Okay, regarding the Debian packaging, I will do.
And -- as I mentioned before -- I would like to upload some RPMs, and I could
also upload the Debian packages in the present state. For that, I would like
to use my member page (RalfA) of scipy.org. Is this okay?

Ralf.