[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:10:45 EST 2009

2009/2/25 Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
>> I don't want to focus on any commits specifically (this kind of thing
>> happens across the board), but I'll give one example that involves
>> yourself.
>
> And I will give an example that involves myself.  I added a patch that
> was partly tested and not properly benchmarked to the 0.7 matlab io
> and rendered it more or less unusable for large datasets.
>
> I speak only for myself, but I like having people have a look at my
> code, teaching me stuff I don't know, or just checking things that I
> didn't think of myself.
>
> So, how about this:
>
> A proposal
> -------------
>
> We set up a patch review policy.  The review involves checking for and
> suggesting tests and documentation.  That's the default.  If you don't
> want this to happen to your code, then you ask for an opt-out.
>

> Does that sound reasonable?

I think as far as patch review goes, opt-in is quite enough - what's
lacking is a reasonable mechanism to implement patch review. Simply
posting the code to the mailing list really doesn't work well.
Possibly that online code review site people have pointed to a few
times could work? It would help if I could avoid looking at patches
I've already reviewed (or decided not to review). Here's somewhere
infrastructure could help.

Anne