[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 2 16:18:14 EST 2006

Joe Harrington wrote:
> Besides seeking a name that is attractive and meaningful, we should
> remember functionality:
>
> - nx is a super-common variable name
> - numerix is used by some to mean "any array package"

Note that, to my knowledge, the only two uses of 'numerix' in the wild right
now are by matplotlib and enthought.  John specifically already suggested
nuemrix, so he's obviously OK with that.  And in enthought, numerix is also (I
think) used as a compatibility layer, so once we only have one array package,
I imagine they'd be OK (though confirmation from them would be welcome).

On technical grounds I think there is no real conflict, as their current
imports are of the form

import {matplotlib,enthought}.numerix

vs our proposed top-level name

import numerix.

Those who do

from matplotlib import numerix

would actually be OK, since matplotlib.numerix would return, as it does today,
an indirection object which referes to either Numeric, numarray or numerix
(the top-level one).

So I'm not sure that I see either a real technical or social objection to
'numerix' (modulo final confirmation from Enthought.  Robert?)

Cheers,