[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Mon Jan 2 16:09:53 EST 2006

Besides seeking a name that is attractive and meaningful, we should
remember functionality:

- nx is a super-common variable name
- numerix is used by some to mean "any array package"
- some suggested names are taken already by other packages

Despite any political desires on our part, shouldn't we play nice and
not use any of these?  Think the Google mantra:...no evil...no evil...

How about:

ndarray		actual array package (and try to get it in mainstream py)
arrmath		core math setup
scipy		big-tent, well-maintained, well-documented, stable
scisand		unmaintained, experimental, or prototype (alt: coventry)

Note that, while the word "math" appears in arrmath, and may thus send
some people screaming, those individuals are unlikely to use FFTs or
linear algebra.  "ndarray" is unassuming and informative, and probably
what those people want anyway (if they want our distutils, they have
to face the music, but they don't have to dance).

We need to resolve this so Travis can actually *do* it!  Perhaps
someone could set up a poll on scipy.org or new.scipy.org?

--jh--