[SciPy-dev] alternate .flags interface

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Mon Oct 31 09:54:40 EST 2005

On Oct 31, 2005, at 9:45 AM, Fernando Perez wrote:
> I used 'update' simply as an example to illustrate the issue of
> potential name
> clashes.  I didn't actually know what the flag names were, what I
> worry about
> is that now or in the future either the flag names or the dict method
> list can
> grow in a direction that causes a clash.
>
> Sorry if a poor choice of example caused confusion, I hope the issue
> I'm
> trying to point out is clear now.

Sure, it's a valid concern. (I did look at the list to see if any
current one was a conflict; your mail make me think I missed
something!) Another possible solution is to have .asdict() and
.fromdict() methods to return a dictionary and a set from a dictionary
and avoid the whole attribute conflict issue.

Perry